Need help IDing a padlock

NC_Digger

Elite Member
I'm trying to ID the padlock below. It's embedded in the foundation of an old tobacco barn on my uncle's property. The family doesn't want me to chisel it out and run it through electrolysis. Misguided but what can I say :shrug: they're family. :D

We believe the barn was built at the same time as the house in this thread.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=230788

I initially thought it was a Wilson Bohannan #500 but the top of the body is different.

http://www.antique-padlocks.com/wb_lever_100-877.htm

I'm hoping someone might recognize it or have another source for researching it.

DSCF0351.JPG

The barn. The lock is in the foundation just to the right of the big tree.

DSCF0353.JPG
DSCF0356.JPG

Don't know nuttin bout locks, but that is one cool site...

Thanks. It's just a big old field. It was a tobacco field way back when but my uncle farmed sweet potatoes on it for years. Most recently the barn was used for storing the potatoes prior to taking them to market. Most of what I find when MDing around it are old pull tabs from my uncle popping a cold one while sitting in the shade sorting potatoes.

Just beyond the front of my jeep in the one pic is a mound that was one of 5 tees which my uncle and a neighbor created back in the 80's. They also made 4 greens. Using different combinations of tee and green they were able to play 9 full length (par 4) holes. It's all over grown now but old Google Earth shots show the greens and tees.

I'm pretty sure it's a Miller based on the flat key hole, I recently dug one with the key still in it.
Here's a pic of the one I believe you have in your post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 270
I'm curious about how the lock got into it's current location (and I'm sure you are too). The reason I question this is - that mortar sure does look recent. Usually when mortar has been a round a while, out in the weather & elements, it takes on a somewhat weathered look, or maybe even a little moss, especially in an environment like that. Either way, that mortar looks like it was just put down around that lock, quite recently. Any ideas on that, or anybody to question about how it got there and why the mortar looks so fresh ? Maybe it's just the lighting, or maybe the camera had a flash, or something ?

Well... no WONDER your family doesn't want it removed!

Now they can honestly tell guests "Welcome to my pad!" :p

SageGrouse

I'm pretty sure it's a Miller based on the flat key hole, I recently dug one with the key still in it.
Here's a pic of the one I believe you have in your post.

I think you nailed it. I've found a couple of square bottom Miloco locks on ebay that seem to have the rivets in the right spots. Still looking for more info but at least now I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the ID.

I'm curious about how the lock got into it's current location (and I'm sure you are too). The reason I question this is - that mortar sure does look recent. Usually when mortar has been a round a while, out in the weather & elements, it takes on a somewhat weathered look, or maybe even a little moss, especially in an environment like that. Either way, that mortar looks like it was just put down around that lock, quite recently. Any ideas on that, or anybody to question about how it got there and why the mortar looks so fresh ? Maybe it's just the lighting, or maybe the camera had a flash, or something ?

The foundation has been patched in places but it's original in the area of the lock.

I don't know the age of the barn for sure but I know it was there in the late 50's. General belief is it was built around the same time as the Quartz house across the road (see the link in my first post). 1939.

The land was part of a larger farm that dates back to the mid 1800's but I don't know if it was being farmed or if cattle were grazing on it back then.

Evapo-rust. My friend and I have tried it on some scrap pieces and are now using it on all old iron and steel. No chemicals, biodegradable, non toxic and doesnt damage metal. Safe enough to discard by pouring down the drain! This stuff works. The back label has simple instructions that would help you be able to apply this product to that lock.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

if ya have the right key you could open the secret treasure room,lol. maybe someone put it there to remind themselves that they were "locked" and chained to the farm, of course it could have just been a old lock they thought was cool and stuck it there to share with others.

Evapo-rust. My friend and I have tried it on some scrap pieces and are now using it on all old iron and steel. No chemicals, biodegradable, non toxic and doesnt damage metal. Safe enough to discard by pouring down the drain! This stuff works. The back label has simple instructions that would help you be able to apply this product to that lock.

Any idea if would stain the mortar around the lock? I'd probably get fussed at if I turned the mortar purple or something like that.

if ya have the right key you could open the secret treasure room,lol. maybe someone put it there to remind themselves that they were "locked" and chained to the farm, of course it could have just been a old lock they thought was cool and stuck it there to share with others.

I'm leaning toward a kid with an old pad lock and too much time on his hands. :D

Any idea if would stain the mortar around the lock? I'd probably get fussed at if I turned the mortar purple or something like that.

Im on a 24hr shift right now, when i get home Ill read the back label and let you know.

Im on a 24hr shift right now, when i get home Ill read the back label and let you know.

I just read the label on the bottle and it explains that evapo-rust removes the carbon from rusted items so if anything you would just rinse the carbon off the surface of the concrete and it shouldnt stain.

I just read the label on the bottle and it explains that evapo-rust removes the carbon from rusted items so if anything you would just rinse the carbon off the surface of the concrete and it shouldnt stain.

Thanks for checking on that for me. I suspect that as old as the mortar is it's pretty porous so if carbon residue were rinsed off it'd never come out of the mortar. No larger area than I'm working with I may be able to daub it on and rub it off without making a big mess. Now I just need permission from the ladies. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom