Need help to ID this coin...

bobbulge

Elite Member
I was on my way home from work and saw this site so I decided to sneak around with my DFX and this is what I found, any clues to what it might be???

Its a old farm house outside of Hampstead Md. When I found this coin it was about 8-9 inches deep and I used my Super 12 coil. Whatever it is it definitely looks different than the normal clad coins I am use to finding.

Thanks, I hope someone can tell me what it is... I used my scanner to copy the pictures of the coin online.

Attachments

• Picture 031 (Small).jpg
    Picture 031 (Small).jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 465
  • Picture 033 (Small).jpg
    Picture 033 (Small).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 457
  • Picture 034 (Small).jpg
    Picture 034 (Small).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 457
  • scan0001 (Small).jpg
    scan0001 (Small).jpg
    21 KB · Views: 442
  • scan0002 (Small).jpg
    scan0002 (Small).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 447
Until one of the UK people can jump in and ID it, let me say congrats. It looks like an English hammered coin from one of the Edwards. That's an amazing find from your area. Doug

Bloody hell man - what a great find!

I've been Web sniffing and I've come up with some info so far. Based on what I can read on the obverse and reverse it's a silver penny:

Obverse looks like "EDW ANGL DNS HYB", which means "Edward of England Lord of Ireland".

Reverse looks like "CIVITAS LONDON" which means it was minted in London (unless it's an Edward I, then it could have been minted in Reading as well).

I'm having trouble deciding if it's an Edward I or II though.

Stay tuned!

[EDIT] OK, I messed up on the obverse reading. It's "EDWR ANGL DNS HYB", or "EDW R ANGL DNS HYB", meaning "Edward King of England Lord of Ireland".
And without knowing its size, I'm not sure if it's a penny, half penny, or something else. Someone a little more qualified will have to finish!

Again - great find!

Once you figure out which king it was minted under you'll easily find the reigning years. At the very least your coin is, what, 680 years old?

EDWARD I (r. 1272-1307)
EDWARD II (r. 1307-1327)

can't help with ID, but am posting so I can watch and see what turns up. I am sure Simon or one of our other British brothers or sisters can help. Does look like a hammered coin.

What you got there is a Edward 1st coin.If you give a size then i can id it for you.he reigned from 1272 to 1307 so you can work out the age of your coin.
Well done.

What you got there is a Edward 1st coin.If you give a size then i can id it for you.he reigned from 1272 to 1307 so you can work out the age of your coin.
Well done.

Help a guy out here, Simon. What did I miss that ID's that as an Edward I? I couldn't find enough discernable detail...

I knew you'd figure it out, though!

I figured you had a book. The Web will only take you so far, which is sometimes pretty close, but to have a book...ahhh.

Thanks!

Hey Okla, you wrote
Oklahunter Once you figure out which king it was minted under you'll easily find the reigning years. At the very least your coin is, what, 680 years old?

EDWARD I (r. 1272-1307)
EDWARD II (r. 1307-1327)

How can it be possible, a coin 680 years old, wasn't America discovered in 1492?

-----

Thats a 165 year difference. I guess I could be rich from this one coin. Yippee!!!! I guess since I live in Hampstead, Maryland, down the road from Manchester Maryland and not too far from Essex Maryland, well, there must have been someone over here from England, named the town I live in and near and then threw a coin for good luck. And I was lucky enough to find it.

Well, its too early for Jamestown, too late for St. Brendan, too late and far south for the Vikings, in too good shape to have been clanking around in a poke for 200 years or so . . . What you've got there is a real puzzle.

What is the value on something like this? The rarity factor of the find is something I think is interesting too! Found in the United States the odds must be pretty high.

Hey Texaspast you wrote
Texaspast Well, its too early for Jamestown, too late for St. Brendan, too late and far south for the Vikings, in too good shape to have been clanking around in a poke for 200 years or so . . . What you've got there is a real puzzle

I was thinkingmaybe there is a REAL HIGHLANDER, you know, an immortal like from the TV show running around...What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom