What to reply to "I hope you're not digging any holes"

.... some "public" parks have signs that say "No Skate Boards" or "No Fires" or "No Monster Trucks"..

Ok, sure. And if there's no sign or rule on-the-books that said "no metal detectors" then ....... presto, it's not dis-allowed. Right ? Hence why the need to ask "can I? " :?:

.... No harm in asking, if you find a park and ask the city, and they tell you "Do whatever you want" -- then when someone complains, or the cops show up, you'll have proof that the city said it was just fine and they have no control over it...

Maybe you've just been lucky in your Russian Roulette game so far. But if you look at forum threads on the subject, you will often see persons who fetched a "no". In places that were never a problem before, nor have any specific rule. Perhaps because a pencil-pusher has images of geeks with shovels ? Or they think you'll harm earthworms ? Thus yes: There can be harm in asking. Ie.: swatting hornet's nests.

Oh, and don't think if you get a "yes" that you now have carte-blanche. There's also been no shortage of posts of md'rs who proudly whip our their "permission" to show a griper. The griper merely gets on his cell-phone, calls to city hall and says " .... but he's tearing the place up" (which isn't true, of course).

I'll see you guys in another year or so.. Now I know why I kinda faded away.

Sorry for posting what *I* have done and do. :shrug:

Tom is just saying that asking for "permission" to hunt public property is probably not the best option, due to the fact that officials can easily just say "no", when in actual fact they may not have cared less if you hunted there. If you can't find any laws online for your local area that ban metal detecting, then you should be all good to hunt. Tom is not bashing you, he's just making his opinion very clear, and he does have a valid point. If people keep asking if metal detecting is allowed, then yes, councils may implement new laws. So it's best not to ask, just do your own research.

Don't feel like you have to leave the forum just because someone disagrees with you... :)

Don't feel like you have to leave the forum just because someone disagrees with you... :)

Lets look at that word "disagree"
have or express a different opinion.
"no one was willing to disagree with him"
synonyms: take issue with, challenge, contradict, oppose; be at variance with, be at odds with, not see eye to eye with, differ with, dissent from, be in dispute with, debate with, argue with, quarrel with, wrangle with, clash with, be at loggerheads with, cross swords with, lock horns with

Now lets look at the word "friendly" which is an adjective describing this forum...
kind and pleasant.
"they were friendly to me"
synonyms: affable, amiable, genial, congenial, cordial, warm, affectionate, demonstrative, convivial, companionable, sociable, gregarious, outgoing, comradely, neighborly, hospitable, approachable, easy to get on with, accessible, communicative, open, unreserved, easygoing, good-natured, kindly, benign, amenable, agreeable, obliging, sympathetic, well disposed, benevolent

The point being, I don't come here to debate, dispute, argue, challenge, or anything of the such.. I come here to have a good time, check in on my friends, offer advice, see what good things people are finding, fun times they are having..

I respect people and their opinions.
Some do not.
If people want to run out and dig up whatever they want, go for it. I'm not going to, nor am I going to assume I can just dig where ever. I don't try to find loop holes, or good ol' boys I can call up at the right time and all that. I call or email, and accept the answer I get.

:fmdfwelcome:

Lets look at that word "disagree"
have or express a different opinion.
"no one was willing to disagree with him"
synonyms: take issue with, challenge, contradict, oppose; be at variance with, be at odds with, not see eye to eye with, differ with, dissent from, be in dispute with, debate with, argue with, quarrel with, wrangle with, clash with, be at loggerheads with, cross swords with, lock horns with

Now lets look at the word "friendly" which is an adjective describing this forum...
kind and pleasant.
"they were friendly to me"
synonyms: affable, amiable, genial, congenial, cordial, warm, affectionate, demonstrative, convivial, companionable, sociable, gregarious, outgoing, comradely, neighborly, hospitable, approachable, easy to get on with, accessible, communicative, open, unreserved, easygoing, good-natured, kindly, benign, amenable, agreeable, obliging, sympathetic, well disposed, benevolent

The point being, I don't come here to debate, dispute, argue, challenge, or anything of the such.. I come here to have a good time, check in on my friends, offer advice, see what good things people are finding, fun times they are having..

Yes, Tom is disagreeing with you, but at the same he is giving advice to others. Tom’s response, IMO, was not “unfriendly”, nor did he make fun of you.

I respect people and their opinions.
Some do not.
If people want to run out and dig up whatever they want, go for it. I'm not going to, nor am I going to assume I can just dig where ever. I don't try to find loop holes, or good ol' boys I can call up at the right time and all that. I call or email, and accept the answer I get.

:fmdfwelcome:

We’re not trying to find loop holes. Tom’s just suggesting to do your research first before contacting the council. If there’s no law regarding metal detecting on public property, then you can assume your free to go and detect there (right?) The only time I would contact the council is, if a ranger tells me that metal detecting is not allowed there. But even then, I’d try to research the laws myself, just to see who’s right or wrong. :)

thanx Sand-groper.

Yes Buried: I meant no harm. It's all just meant to exchange views. And ... ironically ...... look again at your post #44. Re.: "disagree" vs "Friendly" definitions. Do you see how that finger "points both ways" ? What I mean is: Likewise if you disagree with me , then does that make you 'un-friendly' ? No. Of course not. We're just discussing md'ing.

But if I came off harsh, please forgive me.

I should have been clearer. When I detect a new area, I do my best to make sure detecting is not prohibited and ask permission when required.

What to reply to "I hope you're not digging any holes" . ..... "I'm not digging you right now!":lol:

Holes ? ......what holes ? they're filled in ! ......sign ? .......what sign ? oh, that sign......I didn't see the front side ! :laughing::laughing::laughing:
yardholes2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom