Slag? Ore? What the heck is it??

Twon

I found these rocks today detecting a nature preserve that is well off the beaten path. Not far from them was a very old rail tie, which is weird because I don't think there was ever a ROW in the area.

These rocks are very very light, non magnetic, and ring like iron. At first I thought ore or slag, but since they are non magnetic I can't be sure.

Any ideas???

image.jpeg

Well light and non magnetic has me thinking aluminum, but coming up like iron on the detector has me thinking more like charcoal or something. It obviously doesn't look like that, but sometimes I've had charcoal or charcoal-like substances come up like iron. (I don't know why and I don't care, I just don't dig it.)

I was looking at it this morning before work and it does have a very porus surface like charcoal would, and it's extremely light as well so I think you're on to something.

They were surface, otherwise I'd probably not dig. I'm also a rock hound so they will be added to my small collection of oddities.

Thanks!

Kinda looks like slag to me, but I cant really tell from the pic. Cool find, whatever it is!

I don't think it's slag research and am sure you will find find what it is is the rock green or is that moss stuff

Back
Top Bottom