coil covers

JEBar

yet another question from a very, very new to detecting ... when do you need to use a coil cover? ... when is it not wise to use a coil cover?? ... my White dealer (who is a local legend in the area of metal detecting) doesn't use one and doesn't recommend them ... I have one on order and need to know if/when I need to use it ???

Jim

Can't imagine why he dosen't use one. :?: I have all my coils with covers. It just protects the coil from scraping damage. I think you will find most if not all MD'ers use a cover. They are a lot cheaper than buying a new coil thats for sure. ;)

I use one and today I really needed it because I was working in sand and rocks, It doesnt take hardly anything away from depth, Taking them off and putting them back on seems like a waste of time. You could make the argument that its not going to protect the coil that much cuz if you hit something so hard to break the plastic, with the cover on or not, the inside may get damaged anyway. Just slap it on there and forget about it. :yes:

I have only one detector and have a coil cover on it. I can't tell any difference in depth. It just seems to be a common sense thing to have a little extra protection.

I learned the hard way, chipped the coil on my ACE in several places. :(

Now all my coils have covers.

I've used coil covers on all my detectors. I don't believe it makes any difference in depth and it saves damage to the coil.

early_americana said:
Maybe he would rather sell replacement coils than coil covers.........

he says that when used in sandy/ocean beach settings sand get in them and he's found it scratches the face of the coil ... he does use one in rocky settings and when doing stream/creek beds but he removes it immediately when finished to get any sand and grit washed off the coil ... thanks for the info

Jim

Jim a lot of people will clean there coil real good and after putting the cover on they put a small bead of silicone caulk around the seam to keep out sand and water. It is easy to just peal off when ever you want to remove the cover.

hoser said:
Jim a lot of people will clean there coil real good and after putting the cover on they put a small bead of silicone caulk around the seam to keep out sand and water. It is easy to just peal off when ever you want to remove the cover.

thanks for the tip, I'd of never thought of it on my own

Jim

I have never heard of anyone using a coil cover while detecting. The DVD that came with my 250 recommends using a coil cover while storing the detector. I think. Why do I not know about this??? Would a coil cover affect the ability of my 250 to detect??

Joe

twistidd

Are you sure the DVD didn't say to store your detector in the carry bag?

The coil cover will not affect the performance of the detector.

Carry bag? lol, this is all new to me. I've been using the Ace since December and haven't used a coil cover (didn't think I needed one, didn't think it was popular to do so), didn't know about carry bags. All I got was a detector in a box. I feel like I'm left out now, lol.

I've got a question- if it is useful to keep the coil cover on during use, then why don't they just cover the coil in a protective sheath instead of making them available as an option? Is it to make money? Because I can understand that. It's just weird because I don't know anything about coil covers or carry bags, lol. Wow.

Joe

i use one and seeing the bottom of it i allways will. i did a lot of tests to see if it changed the performance and couldn't tell a deference

Your answer is yes because

A perfect example would be....I was in the middle of an extremely trashy park and heard a very strange sound run across my coil, I bent down to look. There was a coat hanger sticking up out of the ground :mad: < Without a doubt the coil cover helped protect it! Also with the DFX, there are different coil covers for the stock coil! Be careful....make sure you get the right one. Because the stock coil was changed there is a cover for the old coil and a cover for the newer coil. When you ordered hopefully you noticed this. A lot of people have mentioned their cover not fitting properly....<because there are two!

Keep the coil looking new, but I did hear that every now and then you should remove it and be sure the inside is clean so that the dirt or Sand or whatever is inside doesn't become magnetized and mess up your detecting...

Re: Your answer is yes because

DFX-Gregg said:
Also with the DFX, there are different coil covers for the stock coil! Be careful....make sure you get the right one. Because the stock coil was changed there is a cover for the old coil and a cover for the newer coil. When you ordered hopefully you noticed this. A lot of people have mentioned their cover not fitting properly....<because there are two!

your caution is dead on the money ... a week ago when I went to my dealer to get a cover, he pointed out the difference and didn't have one for the new coil in stock ... it should be in tomorrow

Jim

The coil cover for the old stock DFX coil is grey.

The coil cover for the new DFX stock coil is black.

After detecting I always remove the coil cover, and clean the coil, and the cover.

Back
Top Bottom