Need help chosing a digging tool.

I have heard that the Lesche digging tools are real good. They seem to hold up well, and are good for that tougher than normal ground.

Got a look at some digging trowels at ?Wayne?s Detector Sales? here in OKC. He?s got some nice ones for around $12. Think of a smallish flour scoop made of heavy steel with the business end sharpened to a knife edge. Speaking of knives, I?ve had to leave my favorite digging tool home when detecting school yards, something to consider if you need one tool for all sites.

Not really, Bill. I've broken a couple Lesche digging tools already ('cause of the cold). They snap like wroght iron.
Tony... I agree. That Sabretooth digger is the best I've ever used... whether he buys it from your store or not. ;)

Thanks Joe, thats good info to know. Was thinking about getting one till you informed me of its drawback. 8)

The sabretooth from Tony is really heavy duty and I can't see anyone breaking that. I sharpened the teeth on the sides more and it does the mission. I also bought a stainless garden digger from Lowes last Friday for $4. and it is nice and if you break it, you should be using a pick axe. :grin:
Most generally, all I use is a screwdriver, unless I am in the woods.
POP

I use the Gator digging tool. It is a bit expensive, but here in the hard GA clay it stands the test. It has a serrated edge for cutting through roots also. Hope this helps. HH :grin:

I just purchased a heavy duty garden trowel from Lowe's and I'm sure Home Depot would carry them too. This one cost me $9 but it is very heavy duty plus it has serrated edges. Not too heavy either. I bent and broke a bunch of the cheaper line but if this one breaks Im going to get me a mattox! Its made by OXO. Has a handy depth ruler and ergonomic handle.

Thanks for the input. I went with the Sabretooth digger. And I am very impressed how hefty this thing is. It cuts the parched Oklahoma dirt with ease.

Just ordered a lesche standard digging tool and a sabre tooth trowel from Tony. I'll post an update on how they work out. The trowel will be used in the playgrounds and perhaps in my garden, but to plant not to detect :lol:

Okkee Dokee then. I hear the sabretooth is a real good tool. I went back through and searched out the three in one digging tool but came up short. What do the rest of you know about this tool? I kinda like the inline design unlike the offset design as in the Lesche. Pros and cons with these tools would really be appreciated.

OZ_IL said:
Just ordered a lesche standard digging tool and a sabre tooth trowel from Tony. I'll post an update on how they work out. The trowel will be used in the playgrounds and perhaps in my garden, but to plant not to detect :lol:
Received the stuff today. Tony sent it priority and ate the higher cost as he has been laid up. Appeciate it Tony, but didn't need to as the ground still frozen LOL. The Lesche is sweet, I really dont want to dig up frozen tundra on my property so I will put it to better use later. It did help me dig up two more pulltabs that were surrounded by small treee roots though :roll: The sabertooth trowel is a monster :shock: I'm not going to chance it at any playgrounds, unless I know the community doesn't care about what you use to dig holes. And baby, then can dig a hole, even in near permafrost conditions.

Ok, now that you mention frozen ground, I broke the handle on my digger yesterday hammering it into frozen ground. I need a tool that has a metal handle that will stand up to a hammer. Suggestions?

Schrecky said:
Ok, now that you mention frozen ground, I broke the handle on my digger yesterday hammering it into frozen ground. I need a tool that has a metal handle that will stand up to a hammer. Suggestions?

Yes wait until the ground thaws out... Supposedly next week is going to warm up... These tools aren't made for chopping thru frozen ground... Ahhhh its so nice to water detect :grin:

Schrecky, go your local Army Navy surplus and see if they have any of those small picks. I have one that I use for gardening, and it really works good. It comes in a canvas pouch that hangs off a web belt. Only weighs a couple of pounds. Either that or go to the hardware store and get a long handle masons chisel used for scoring and breaking stone and cement blocks. Now those you can HAMMER on. :lol:

Thanks, We've had an unusally warm winter and the ground is not frozen everywhere but normally we wouldn't be thawing out until April. I don't want to wait that long so I've been a hammering my way in.

i use a digger 7 in made dalyn industries 8.50 works great in frozen ground here in ma. of coarse you need a small hammer too

I use this. They're 15 bucks at Home Depot. It's extremely tough. It will not break...ever. Even if you jump up and down on it. It cuts a clean plug and has 1 inch increments marked on the handle as well as the blade 1-12. The only bad mark would be it's split, weed-removal tip. It's not perfect at scratching around in the hole, but it does work.

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0158708.html

Back
Top Bottom