Don't sell your Etrac JUST YET!

I think most already realized this doug because I cant find a decent deal on an etrac! Missed a couple early morning but slim pickens after that and zero replyies to my wtb ad.

Ya i am probably a little late to the party lol. Now people that rely heavy on target ID will not have similar results most likely , because i keep emphasizing the ID"S were not indicative of what i found, but tone was great and i based my decision to dig on tone, plus i was going head to head to compare machines. I scored my Etrac with several coils for 625 i think those bargains are getting rare now.

I agree that for coin hunting in places without too much old iron, the Etrac is generally better than the Nox. And the 6x8 SEF coil is itself a very good reason to hang onto the Etrac IMHO :)

I have found the Nox to do better than the Etrac in some places with lots of old iron nails and similar, finding coins the Etrac just could not see. However, these were places that were heavily hunted in the past (including by me with the Etrac)--so, mainly a case of the Nox's superior separation unmasking some additional targets. Carrying both machines in fairly trashy parks, but mostly more modern trash, both "see" about the same for me, but the Etrac does a better job in that it convinces me to dig coins I would not dig with just the Nox.

Now, what I say applies to the higher conductors. I know many really like the Nox's ability to find deep nickels; but I have so much trouble with pull tabs that I generally leave the 13/14s alone. Also, there are probably relic hunters that prefer the Nox over the ET/CTX for everything.

Just being totally honest i really did not expect these results , i was kinda shocked for sure. But i am not even done with that small curb strip yet and what i have recovered based on tone with the etrac and sef impressed me. I am not saying everyone will have the same results , but if you guys have both setups like i do, please give it a whirl and tell me your results. I was running Bills trashy park with the fe line a bit lower to 25. There are power lines overhead not sure what or how much difference that might have made , i am just trying to relay my results as honestly as i can.

In the UK there loving the Nox, still a waiting list on the 800's when i last looked.
For the reasons many in the US dislike the Nox, is the exact reasons it's a hit in the UK and europe, it's hot on low to mid conductors in iron, no ID needed, just dig everything above small nails.

In the UK there loving the Nox, still a waiting list on the 800's when i last looked.
For the reasons many in the US dislike the Nox, is the exact reasons it's a hit in the UK and europe, it's hot on low to mid conductors in iron, no ID needed, just dig everything above small nails.

I like the NOX very much! I just discovered that for US coin hunting in pretty trashy spots the Etrac with sef was much better at unmasking coins. I did say though that the ultimate comparison will be when i can go small coil to small coil in the wild. My NOX is not going anywhere even if still loses in small coil head to head in the wild. I have found a piece of jewelry the size of a pencil eraser at 9 inches that i am sure i do not have another machine that sensitive that would have pulled it.

Won't be buying anymore detectors. Wouldn't sell my Etrac or Tesoros either.

These do everything I personally could want for the type of hunting I do which leaves a lot more time to find productive places to swing a coil.

Research, Location, and Persistence will make any detector look good.

That's the exact reason I like it.... it will nail a old military button.

I think people buy into the hype without doing any common sense research. The Equinox has a more simple platform with a 50 conductive discriminate layout. It is more comparable to the layout of a safari.

Whereas the Etrac and CTX uses a more advanced discriminate platform that uses both ferrous and conductivity with more customizable settings.

The vast majority of detectorists can't take full advantage of the Etrac and CTX abilities. These require more knowledge and experience to use. It is not a detector for the novice. It's not the best choice for someone to buy and expect to learn the ins and outs of detecting with.

The Etrac and CTX with all the settings has pulled many a detectorist in only to overwhelm them. Others were intimidated with all the settings and stayed away from it.

But the Equinox is set up on a simpler platform and easier to learn the settings. It is a good detector for the beginner and advanced. It is more of a true turn on and go detector.

Plus it is waterproof, light and the price is right. But anyone with much understanding of detectors should know that it is not on the same level of the Etrac and CTX. Especially at the price differences.

Those who bought the Equinox thinking it was going to replace the Etrac and CTX did so at their own blindness. The CTX is the latest of the FBS but that was 2012. There have been a lot of advancements in technology since then and the Equinox is using some of the technologies. The multi-frequencies and faster processor will allow the Equinox to do some things better than the FBS detectors. But the FBS based detectors came from a long line of refinements from 1998 to 2012 and has resulted in a very capable detector. So the new multi-frequency technology has a lot to live up to. In the years to come, it will be fine tuned as well.

I have the CTX and 2 Equinox 800. I bought my wife an 800 to replace the safari with a lighter, faster waterproof detector. I then seen where the 800 would serve me well in some of my hunting locations. I didn't buy it to replace the CTX but to compliment it.

For general hunting, I prefer the stable and versatile CTX. In the creeks, rivers and trashy sites, I prefer the Equinox.

A person should buy a detector based on their needs, not let the detector dictate their needs.

I think people buy into the hype without doing any common sense research. The Equinox has a more simple platform with a 50 conductive discriminate layout. It is more comparable to the layout of a safari.

Whereas the Etrac and CTX uses a more advanced discriminate platform that uses both ferrous and conductivity with more customizable settings.

The vast majority of detectorists can't take full advantage of the Etrac and CTX abilities. These require more knowledge and experience to use. It is not a detector for the novice. It's not the best choice for someone to buy and expect to learn the ins and outs of detecting with.

The Etrac and CTX with all the settings has pulled many a detectorist in only to overwhelm them. Others were intimidated with all the settings and stayed away from it.

But the Equinox is set up on a simpler platform and easier to learn the settings. It is a good detector for the beginner and advanced. It is more of a true turn on and go detector.

Plus it is waterproof, light and the price is right. But anyone with much understanding of detectors should know that it is not on the same level of the Etrac and CTX. Especially at the price differences.

Those who bought the Equinox thinking it was going to replace the Etrac and CTX did so at their own blindness. The CTX is the latest of the FBS but that was 2012. There have been a lot of advancements in technology since then and the Equinox is using some of the technologies. The multi-frequencies and faster processor will allow the Equinox to do some things better than the FBS detectors. But the FBS based detectors came from a long line of refinements from 1998 to 2012 and has resulted in a very capable detector. So the new multi-frequency technology has a lot to live up to. In the years to come, it will be fine tuned as well.

I have the CTX and 2 Equinox 800. I bought my wife an 800 to replace the safari with a lighter, faster waterproof detector. I then seen where the 800 would serve me well in some of my hunting locations. I didn't buy it to replace the CTX but to compliment it.

For general hunting, I prefer the stable and versatile CTX. In the creeks, rivers and trashy sites, I prefer the Equinox.

A person should buy a detector based on their needs, not let the detector dictate their needs.
This is spot in. This is also why I have the 800 and CTX. I never expected the 800 to replace my etrac or ctx. However I was very impressed when the 800 performed as good or better than my etrac in test garden and my local parks. I saw more than enough to make me move the etrac and keep just the 800 and ctx. The at pro was gone after 2nd hunt with 800. The at pro was my first love but its shortcomings were exposed badly by the 800. That was an easy choice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is spot in. This is also why I have the 800 and CTX. I never expected the 800 to replace my etrac or ctx. However I was very impressed when the 800 performed as good or better than my etrac in test garden and my local parks. I saw more than enough to make me move the etrac and keep just the 800 and ctx. The at pro was gone after 2nd hunt with 800. The at pro was my first love but its shortcomings were exposed badly by the 800. That was an easy choice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Problem is, put stock coils on all 3 and the NOX is close if not better at unmasking in extreme trash and especially iron. We just need the NOX small coil to see if it can stack up. I hunted all 3 head to head with big coils and i have no doubt NOX won (especially when price and features were plugged into the equation). i wanted to do some head to head with fbs and sef coil vs nox with stock coil. No doubt which wins after hours of head to head. But again if it was an ID primarily Etrac guy, the results would have been not so favorable for the Etrac and sef , but i am a tonal hunter so i ignored the ID and based my sole decision to dig or not dig on tone. By doing so i found quite a few targets the nox just would not sound off on.

I can finish up my tests if ,,, if someone gets a small coil out! All my reports from here out will be head to head in the wild. Multi Kruzer on the way to add to the field of competitors.

I wouldn't trade my Etrac for anything but maybe a CTX. I'm sure the NOX is good, but can't outshine the Etrac. I sort of think of all the NOX hype is like when the ATPro came out. The hype will die down and the NOX will still be a good machine for the price.

Back
Top Bottom