Helping a neighbor

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Had a neighbor in a nearby neighborhood contact me about locating his property markers (rebar).

Piece of cake right?

Found out that the marker in question was located somewhere in corner of yard right were underground power, cable lines were buried.

My 800 was going crazy no matter my noise canceling efforts. I could not even ground balance in those area because no area was quiet. Searched in all metal mode that entire 10 x 5 foot strip where the land plot said the property market should be.

I was at my wits end. How hard is it to find a piece of rebar? well it was not showing up on the audio or any negative readings on the TID in the all metal mode.

Finally did a factory reset and new noise cancel and boom, it sounded off and showed a -5. dug down 3 inches and there it was the rebar with some pink tape attached to it.

I was amazed at how much the underground utilities could affect your detector. To be able blank out a 12" long piece of rebar?

Now I wonder what the normal interference near sources of radiation can hide smaller targets like coins and rings. Probably more than I ever thought.

Oh yes it can ! Big beach by me where right in front of the parking lot is an asphalt bike path. Then the beach. 10s of thousands go across this almost daily. Well , they just pushed back up the sand from this path a good 30 feet. My Nox was going crazy. Coins , pull tabs , nails , junk , everywhere. I just didn't have the patience and / or right detector. Electrical lines ,etc were also shallow along with rebar. I know there is gold there , but it is hard for me to do dry sand as it is.

The best detector I have used for property markers is the DFX. The best detector I have used around EMI is a Tom tuned CZ 3D. The worst detectors for EMI that I have used is the Racer 2 and the Equinox 800, in one area I hunt them two are really noisy no mater what settings I use.

When in heavy interference I find it better to run in single frequency than multi. It quiets it down a ton.

When in heavy interference I find it better to run in single frequency than multi. It quiets it down a ton.

yeah, that makes sense multi frequency will pick up every type of interference. But at the time I was frustrated with all the interference and wondering, this thing can't find a 12 inch rebar just inches in the ground?

Good post Max! Its not a piece of cake at all to find the rebar corner markers for somebody...let alone for your own self! We sold our place a few years back, lived there for 10+yrs and I had the corners all figured out or so I thought, I had the plat, and I kept the property line macheted pretty clear all along......

Then I went out to find the stakes and mark them good for a potential buyer when we listed the place to save money on a surveyor....

I discovered its one tough gig even as experienced as we are to hit the top of a rebar corner stake down in the swampy skunk cabbage woods!...The top of an iron stake is smaller than the size of a dime and being driven straight down, it does not exhibit as big a target signal a guy would think...plus, even without any EMI theres all sorts of junk out in there let alone the vegetation...

I found 3 out of 4 and got close enough to the other to figure WTH, I gotta be within 5' or so...so I taped off a tree with surveyors tape and called it close enough...I stepped it all off, used the compass, used the detector, triangulated, still I could not definitively find that last corner stake...!

As I tried, the mosquitoes were ripping me a new one, I told myself, the next time I ever buy a piece of woodland swamp property, I'm gonna smash an aluminum can over the top of the corner stakes, maybe even lay out a track of them every 10' or so along the line and under the dirt to keep me on track..A lone iron rebar stake driven straight down does not give off a good signal...We all know a guy can hit an empty aluminum can high flying the coil!

Heck, I may smash down an empty 6 pack at the corners, and also drive in a 4' tall aluminum post or a big concrete pillar or something...

Its not easy at all to hit the top of an iron stake, not even on clear ground let alone down in the woods! All the while the Friggen mosquitoes be pulling pints off a guy and tearing you a new one!..Thats why Surveyors get paid...It aint about the corners, its about tolerating the mosquitoes!:laughing:

We had no problem finding our posts that mark the corners of our property, living in a semi-rural area next to woods, all 4 of our property posts stand about 3 feet out of the ground, no detector was needed to find those :lol:

yeah, that makes sense multi frequency will pick up every type of interference. But at the time I was frustrated with all the interference and wondering, this thing can't find a 12 inch rebar just inches in the ground?

I learned the hard way too. Lol.

Wait a minute ! With all this hype about the eq i thought this magical wand would find those hunks of rebar with ease :laughing: Seriously though I was asked to find markers for a few home owners and there is always one of them dam things right next to burried utilities.

You might try lowering the sensitivity, too. I would think somewhere in the 12 to 15 range should eliminate external interference, but a steel marker under the coil should still sound off. Works good for finding coins right next to chain link fencing.

Back
Top Bottom