Pulltab and gold day

Detectingman

Hit up a local park which is infested with beaver tails.
Pulltab #95 ended up being this small 14K ring.
Ended up digging 100 pulltab in total and called it a day.

Attachments

• 20191009_124004.jpg
    20191009_124004.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 424
Alot of digging, earned this one lol.
Yeah I went there today with the "dig it all" mentality.
100 targets in 2 hours, lots of beer drinkers there in the 1970s apparently!

In 2006, a bunch of us here in CA had the rare opportunity to hunt an inner city blighted old-town park that was being turf-scraped, to make way for artificial turf installation. And since it was all dozed up , we had the liberty to treat it in a "relic mindset" (ie.: dig all except iron).

And during the course of that month, I kept every single target. At the end of the month, I counted out all the old coins, the modern coins, the aluminum, etc.... so-as to make charts and graphs.

And yes .... some gold items turned up. Eg.: a few rings, a charm or two, a watch-back, etc.... But when I calculated it on the basis of how much aluminum for each gold item dug, it was staggering. Something on the order of 200 or 300 to 1 ! I decided that if I'd strictly been there , in turf, angling for gold, it simply wouldn't have been worth it. Heck, I'd have had several holes per square foot , everywhere I stepped ! (probably would have been kicked out of the park d/t too many holes).

So I will hunt parks like that for silver, but pass on the aluminum, the nickels, and the alloyed gold. If gold rings were my objective, I'd probably just go to a swim beach where the ratios are less punishing. Doh ! :laughing:

Wow now that’s perseverance after 15 to 20 I ignore those numbers. Congrats on the ring.

I didn't count at the time. Just kept putting them in my pocket during the dig.
Was curious to see how may targets were dug. My legs hurt now lol

In 2006, a bunch of us here in CA had the rare opportunity to hunt an inner city blighted old-town park that was being turf-scraped, to make way for artificial turf installation. And since it was all dozed up , we had the liberty to treat it in a "relic mindset" (ie.: dig all except iron).

And during the course of that month, I kept every single target. At the end of the month, I counted out all the old coins, the modern coins, the aluminum, etc.... so-as to make charts and graphs.

And yes .... some gold items turned up. Eg.: a few rings, a charm or two, a watch-back, etc.... But when I calculated it on the basis of how much aluminum for each gold item dug, it was staggering. Something on the order of 200 or 300 to 1 ! I decided that if I'd strictly been there , in turf, angling for gold, it simply wouldn't have been worth it. Heck, I'd have had several holes per square foot , everywhere I stepped ! (probably would have been kicked out of the park d/t too many holes).

So I will hunt parks like that for silver, but pass on the aluminum, the nickels, and the alloyed gold. If gold rings were my objective, I'd probably just go to a swim beach where the ratios are less punishing. Doh ! :laughing:

Haha! Yeah, I have read that for every 1,000 tabs you dig you should get a gold ring. This park today, there was a pull tab literally every foot. My goal is to clean the area of trash and hopefully unmask some more goodies. The nice thing about this park is that it is pretty secluded since swimming season is over. There is a beach there, but for whatever reason, never got any targets on it. Wish I had a waterproof detector. When I hit a huge honker it is be on the list to get hah!

Haha! Yeah, I have read that for every 1,000 tabs you dig you should get a gold ring. ...

Well, actually, not all turf /terra-firma is the same. There is locations that are strictly for sports-purposes, (or swimming is better yet), that will have a less punishing ratio of aluminum to gold.

But the moment you factor in any sort of eating/drinking (ie.: picnics, BBQ'ing, etc....) is the moment the ratios get horrible. Because of the tabs off the drinks, and foil wrappers for the food. And can-nuggets for people tossing their aluminum on BBQ's.

Contrast to something like soccer field, or PT course: It's for the express purpose of frolicking motions (which lends to jewelry losses).

I've actually been on a beach, after a storm, where I got 5 gold rings one day, and zero aluminum. Because mother nature had washed out all the light-weight aluminum :)

I like somebody that just plugs away working the numbers in the right location and listening to what the dirt is saying......old beavertails are right smack in the Gold wearing years of Mankind on this Planet...The greatest Gold find of my life so far sounded like a pair of pulltabs...Dirt gold is a real trophy, and it hides amongst the foil/tab/nickel/bastard signals...Sometimes a guy just has to work the numbers...:neat::neat:

Well, actually, not all turf /terra-firma is the same. There is locations that are strictly for sports-purposes, (or swimming is better yet), that will have a less punishing ratio of aluminum to gold.

But the moment you factor in any sort of eating/drinking (ie.: picnics, BBQ'ing, etc....) is the moment the ratios get horrible. Because of the tabs off the drinks, and foil wrappers for the food. And can-nuggets for people tossing their aluminum on BBQ's.

Contrast to something like soccer field, or PT course: It's for the express purpose of frolicking motions (which lends to jewelry losses).

I've actually been on a beach, after a storm, where I got 5 gold rings one day, and zero aluminum. Because mother nature had washed out all the light-weight aluminum :)

The more trash, the more activity, hopefully the more gold! But not always true. There is a soccer field down the street and never had any luck there believe it or not. I think maybe one of the local detectorists hits it up daily, only thing I can think of...5 gold rings and no trash can't beat that. I do dig alot more foil and nickle signals now a days but it makes my back hurt after a while! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom