Best Coin Dealer

imukdiver

I'm looking to invest in some coins in the near future. I don't want bullion or melt value quality. I'll be looking for coins with actual value. Anybody have a particular website they like or have dealt with ? I'm leery of Ebay, but I've also had good luck with them as well. Thoughts, ideas, or suggestions ?

I'm looking to invest in some coins in the near future. I don't want bullion or melt value quality. I'll be looking for coins with actual value. Anybody have a particular website they like or have dealt with ? I'm leery of Ebay, but I've also had good luck with them as well. Thoughts, ideas, or suggestions ?

Larry Jackson Rare coins in Roswell GA. I have bought from him over past five years.

He buys up estate sale coins via a network of estate sale attorneys. he values the collections and typically gets to buy the best stuff. Will probably deal with son now since Larry travels all of the US.

Try him out and see if you like him.

http://www.ljncoins.com/

My neighbor has been doing business with him for many years and recommended him to me.

Daniel Sedwick Coin Auction check the catalogs on-line, next one is Nov. Orlando, Fl.

Lots of 1715 fleet coins.

Just find some trusted sellers on ebay if you plan on getting the best prices possible. Otherwise just head to your lcs or coin shows if you have any near you. Some auctions are good aswell like sedwicks coin auction which was already mentioned above. I tend to have a lot of luck getting deals on coins at little flea market coin stores and my LCS.

If you have to ask , you're already in trouble. But I know you are seeking some help. The main thing you have to do 1st is educate yourself. Research the internet , YouTube , coin shows , auction sites , buy a few books on investing in numismatics , etc. We can all here recommend a dealer. But educating yourself and making a sound decision , you will never be able to blame someone else on a bad investment. Speaking from experience - I hope this helps.

OK, then how about what type of coins ? I do appreciate all the help from everybody. I'm looking at U.S. coins only for the moment. Seems any type of coin that grades would be a sound purchase ?

OK, then how about what type of coins ? I do appreciate all the help from everybody. I'm looking at U.S. coins only for the moment. Seems any type of coin that grades would be a sound purchase ?
Pick a few coin types you like ( maybe a type set) . Buffalo nickels? Walking half ? Morgan dollars ? Gold ? Idk... something you enjoy to look at. Then maybe focus on scarcer semi key dates. Don't know your budget , but condition is everything. You must learn to grade coins. It takes years to do that. Coins from grading companies (pcgs , ngc ,etc) will help immensely. BUT... many of even these coins are mis-graded. Pull up side by side coins of the exact same grade , date , etc. You will in some cases see major differences. Remember , educate yourself.

I'm looking to invest in some coins in the near future. I don't want bullion or melt value quality. I'll be looking for coins with actual value. ?

If you want coins with actual value, then you want melt value. At least consider the melt value when you buy. In my opinion you're better off paying 2 or 3 times melt for a graded gold coin than 100 times melt for a silver coin. Melt value works as a stop loss.
Buying any collectible is a huge risk, and I don't think "invest" is the right word. Gamble would probably be closer. You are trying to guess what people are going to find appealing and collectible 20 years from now and I'm not sure if more coin collectors are entering the hobby or dying.

(Coin community ) is a forum just like this one,and you can buy coins off of some very reputable dealers and avid collectors on there..look it up and join,great place for info and purchases of any coin you want.

If you want coins with actual value, then you want melt value. At least consider the melt value when you buy. In my opinion you're better off paying 2 or 3 times melt for a graded gold coin than 100 times melt for a silver coin. Melt value works as a stop loss.
Buying any collectible is a huge risk, and I don't think "invest" is the right word. Gamble would probably be closer. You are trying to guess what people are going to find appealing and collectible 20 years from now and I'm not sure if more coin collectors are entering the hobby or dying.

I hadn't thought of that. I know that my bottle collection is worth half what it was 5 years ago. New people aren't entering the hobby. Never thought that it would be the same or coins. Thank you for all the help everybody.

Pick a few coin types you like ( maybe a type set) . Buffalo nickels? Walking half ? Morgan dollars ? Gold ? Idk... something you enjoy to look at. Then maybe focus on scarcer semi key dates. Don't know your budget , but condition is everything. You must learn to grade coins. It takes years to do that. Coins from grading companies (pcgs , ngc ,etc) will help immensely. BUT... many of even these coins are mis-graded. Pull up side by side coins of the exact same grade , date , etc. You will in some cases see major differences. Remember , educate yourself.

you mentioned "but condition is everything". I would modify that somewhat with "rarity and condition are everything.

For instance a 1909 S, V.D.B. G4 is worth $600 and a 1909 V.D.B. in MS-60 is only worth $25 because the S is much rarer.

KOB, I think that is what you meant, condition is everything for the same coin.

If you like great looking coins start with Morgans.

you mentioned "but condition is everything". I would modify that somewhat with "rarity and condition are everything.

For instance a 1909 S, V.D.B. G4 is worth $600 and a 1909 V.D.B. in MS-60 is only worth $25 because the S is much rarer.

KOB, I think that is what you meant, condition is everything for the same coin.

If you like great looking coins start with Morgans.

But if you look at my prior sentence it says " semi key dates". Key dates , rarity , of course are 1st ! Then comes condition.

I also would be careful of later issue condition rarities. Some of the early 60s silver , though minted in the 100s of millions , can go for 1000s in ultra high grade. Condition census coins. This is primarily because of the "Great melts" of the late 70s , early 80s. Because so many were minted , I think some are still found hidden away. Then it dilutes the value of the existing coins.

If you're thinking of "investing" in coins you first need to LEARN everything you can before spending your money and that takes a LOT of time and effort. After that you'll need to have the patience to hold onto your purchase for what may end up being a VERY long time before you "might" show a profit. Keep in mind that when you go to sell coins, you will most likely only get 40-50% of retail from an HONEST dealer for collector coins BUT if you sell bullion coins you'll most likely get somewhere around 95-98% of "melt" value. Collect coins for fun ……..stockpile bullion for "investment".

‘How do you make a million dollars investing in coins?’

Start with two million.

I have to agree, since most people will be buying retail and selling wholesale. The only way to get the retail value for yourself is to be a dealer of some form, "vest pocket" or otherwise.

I don't know of anyone who can successfully predict what a coin will be worth 10 years from now, or which coins are currently overpriced due to the hype, much like tulips in Holland during the 1600's "tulip bubble".

I have coins because they are my hobby and I like to collect them. I did discover that a 1798/7 large cent I have shot up in price in the space of a few years, but that's one coin, and not enough to retire on.

Good luck,

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom