Equinox 800 V2 update FE2 test

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
mounted my 15" coil to my 800 and went to my very, very trashy park by the river to see what I could do with some deep coin hunting settings.

Used Field 1, and my bins to just ring low tones and volume all signals below 23 and high 25 tone and high volume on 24 and up. Makes for a more pleasant hunt in a very trashy part littered with crumpled foil, poptops and rusted bottle caps.

It did what I had not been able to do in the past. Hunting in the same area I pulled out two wheats and got a 25-26 solid signal and thought I had a Rosie.

But since I was running version 2.1.12 I thought I would give FE2 a try. I had it on zero when I got the 25-26 signal. Ran it up to 9 and it disappeared. It actually started disappearing at 7 and completely at 8 and 9.

Dug the target and it was a nice rusted bolt with a washer attached.

It is a very good check for the iron falsing signals, at least in this case. The sandy soil was bone dry. It also seemed that rusted bottle caps are easier to recognize by the fluety sound and jumpy TID.

Attachments

• equinoxFE2testsmall.jpg
    equinoxFE2testsmall.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 822
Nice testing and report. I have seen similar results with 11" coil. Your nail and washer findings as well as what I have seen makes me wonder if a deep iffy silver will be seen as iron or dissapear like this as well. I have not had a deep iffy silver signal to test that theory yet. I hope it will actually clean up the signal a little by cranking up F2 bias but only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

...Your nail and washer findings as well as what I have seen makes me wonder if a deep iffy silver will be seen as iron or dissapear like this as well. I have not had a deep iffy silver signal to test that theory yet. I hope it will actually clean up the signal a little by cranking up F2 bias but only time will tell.

Thanks for posting your experiences, maxxkatt. I haven’t tested this theory yet either, but I believe detectorben’s suspicions are correct - a deep, iffy, and/or partially masked silver is probably going to react more like ferrous as F2 is cranked up, just as it would if you cranked up the original iron bias (FE). My understanding is that F2 really isn’t a different kind of iron bias than FE, it’s just a wider range and altered scale of iron bias. Higher F2 reduces falsing and is more likely to reject mixed targets like caps, but at the expense of greater masking - dig less trash, but potentially miss targets. Lower F2 means small or partially masked non-ferrous will more likely read properly, but at the expense of greater falsing on ferrous - in other words dig more trash, but uncover a few more masked goodies. Same would happen with FE, just to a lesser degree at the extreme ends of the scale. F2 0 through 3 are more agressive at calling things non-ferrous than FE, and iron will false more. F2 7 through 9 are more aggressive at calling things ferrous than FE, and non-ferrous will be masked more.

I’m basing all of this on information from various threads, but it’s nicely summarized at this link, along with an excellent graphic to help understand how the two Iron Bias scales equate:

DetectorProspector Site: New Update Has Arrived, Steve Herschbach’s post

Again, I haven’t directly tested this on iffy silver in the field, but it does match what I’ve seen so far as I experiment with the two Iron Bias modes. Also, for what it’s worth, Tom Dankowski, who apparently helped brain-child this update with Minelab, has said that F2 4 = FE 0, while F2 0 would be equal to FE -1 if such a setting existed, and F2 6 = FE 9. That information can be found by following the link in Steve Herschbach’s post given above.

Back
Top Bottom