Metal detectorists 'covered up finding £3million of rare coins and jewellery'

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just all-the-more reason why it is NOT a good idea, to "wish those type laws" (that the UK has) on our USA system of things.

In the USA, if you find a cache such as that on Farmer Bob's land, then it's TOTALLY BETWEEN YOU AND FARMER BOB what you want to do with it. Eg.: how to split it, how to sell it, etc....

Why oh why anyone would want the government's intrusion of forfeitures and forced sales, is beyond me.

Yup, every time I read a story about someone being forced to hand over their treasure in the UK, I think of this scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

I'm so glad I live in the U.S., where the government would never think of taking your treasure from you. Unless, it's Dent's Run Civil War gold, of course! Lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

This is just all-the-more reason why it is NOT a good idea, to "wish those type laws" (that the UK has) on our USA system of things.

In the USA, if you find a cache such as that on Farmer Bob's land, then it's TOTALLY BETWEEN YOU AND FARMER BOB what you want to do with it. Eg.: how to split it, how to sell it, etc....

Why oh why anyone would want the government's intrusion of forfeitures and forced sales, is beyond me.
Do keep in mind that they hid the treasure from the land owner as well. I'm not disagreeing with you as the story relates to the Government, but don't make it appear as if that's the only entity they hid the treasure from, they ripped off the landowner as well.

Do keep in mind that they hid the treasure from the land owner as well. I'm not disagreeing with you as the story relates to the Government, but don't make it appear as if that's the only entity they hid the treasure from, they ripped off the landowner as well.

Ok, perhaps. But if that had happened in the USA, then it's up to farmer Bob to pursue you. If, for some reason, farmer Bob wised up the fact that you found goodies on his land . But in the UK, a 3rd entity now becomes involes. In the USA, it's a civil matter between only-you-&-farmer-Bob.

Ok, perhaps. But if that had happened in the USA, then it's up to farmer Bob to pursue you. If, for some reason, farmer Bob wised up the fact that you found goodies on his land . But in the UK, a 3rd entity now becomes involes. In the USA, it's a civil matter between only-you-&-farmer-Bob.
I agree. My point being that these two guys didn't just hide their discovery from the government, they also lied to, and stole from, the person who gave them permission to search on his land.

The farmer can't be too bright if he let them take 300 coins off of his land without having a clue. Sorry, not buying it. He must have known what was going on and gotten a cut of the loot.

The farmer can't be too bright if he let them take 300 coins off of his land without having a clue.....

All of us (thousands of people) routinely get permission to hunt private land. But let's be dreadfully honest : No farmer "follows you around" making copious notes of the targets you dig. Right ?

Example: Is someone (the farmer or anyone) making careful note of a 1916 D merc, versus a 1916 P merc you just dug ? Probably not.

This was not a case of "brightness". This was a case of the person finding the stuff selling his stuff on ebay. Not the "brightness of the farmer".

they dug him up! king george is alive and well! (hot damn!) more "scratch" for the queen! ..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

All of us (thousands of people) routinely get permission to hunt private land. But let's be dreadfully honest : No farmer "follows you around" making copious notes of the targets you dig. Right ?

Example: Is someone (the farmer or anyone) making careful note of a 1916 D merc, versus a 1916 P merc you just dug ? Probably not.

This was not a case of "brightness". This was a case of the person finding the stuff selling his stuff on ebay. Not the "brightness of the farmer".

Agree with you mate, I have NEVER had a farmer follow me around on a permission, or even ask if I've found anything!

If I did find something, even 1 gold coin, I would be the kind of person to tell the farmer and go 50/50 on the value.

As for glad to be living in the U.S. - with all your lax gun laws, no NHS I think I'll stick to the UK where I don't have to worry about detecting the beach at night with a loaded Glock....lol.:laughing::laughing:

Even if I found the Saxon Hoard, I would immediately tell the relevant authorities, not JUST because of UK law, not at all...christ, easy melt the lot into gold bars and stash it...lol.. but seriously, this stuff should be In a museum for obvious reasons, but hell yeah, me and farmer Bob should get a 50/50 share.:yes:

Mat

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiding a hoard from the property owner is "conduct unbecoming" and down-right un-detectoristy. I would never do that.

However, if my government decided to declare they have exclusive rights to what I find on PRIVATE PROPERTY, there would be a fight.

Were I lucky enough to find a hoard of important artifacts, I also would like for a museum to have them, the difference being that I and the property owner get to decide if that happens. Free people making free decisions, without a government agency dictating terms.
I'll stick to the USA

Hiding a hoard from the property owner is "conduct unbecoming" and down-right un-detectoristy. I would never do that.

However, if my government decided to declare they have exclusive rights to what I find on PRIVATE PROPERTY, there would be a fight.

Were I lucky enough to find a hoard of important artifacts, I also would like for a museum to have them, the difference being that I and the property owner get to decide if that happens. Free people making free decisions, without a government agency dictating terms.

I'll stick to the USA

You just got yourself on a government watch list Mister! Free people? Gubmint ain’t gonna like that kinda talk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree 100% Tom, and gave a thumbs up on the post!

But that said, the cynical side of me realizes that our government just steals it from us in the form of taxes...

If one of us actually finds 300 coins worth $3 mil total on Farmer Bob’s land and quietly sells them off, they would dutifully declare that new found income on their tax returns as required by law...right?? :roll:

Just noticed that the administrator edited the name of the honorable and esteemed leader of the free world's name from Staffydog's post.
Good move, don't need any political firestorms here, we get enough of that everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom