Who likes photography

More nice pics thefinder, thanks ! (long ago I used a 35mm film camera, now I mostly use my smartphone camera even though I have a very modest digital camera)

Interesting pics KT, really neat to look at, amazing what 15x magnification can do !

I might have to try some stuff with my USB microscope after seeing those :lol:

More nice pics thefinder, thanks ! (long ago I used a 35mm film camera, now I mostly use my smartphone camera even though I have a very modest digital camera)

Interesting pics KT, really neat to look at, amazing what 15x magnification can do !

I might have to try some stuff with my USB microscope after seeing those :lol:

KT has used this particular scope for both coins...to show defects or faint mint marks, but mostly for minerals. Glad you like the images! This particular scope has magnification from 15X to around 75X, tho they advertize it as being 150 to 1000X...totally bogus..KT used a scale provided with it to determine magnification. Of course as you go up in magnification, the depth of field becomes a hampering factor. But it is great for tiny crystals and relatively flat objects, like fish scales, feathers, insect wings, etc.:D:D

This is an event my wife and I go to every year. It provides some great
photographic opportunities. It's at Kentwell Hall, Long Melford, Suffolk, England.

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into your browser.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGnB7NE

This is an event my wife and I go to every year. It provides some great
photographic opportunities. It's at Kentwell Hall, Long Melford, Suffolk, England.

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into your browser.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGnB7NE

Neat pics Alan ! …...those folks look like someone went back in a time machine and brought them there, they really look the part !

Reminds me of Plymouth Plantation here in Mass.
years back I even bought 1 square inch of land up there.:D

…...then that means you should be entitled to go there and detect on your 1 square inch of land, would be funny if that 1 inch square spot had a silver coin :laughing:

This is another trip to the same place. Their last Tudor days of 2019.
I was experimenting with Camera settings this time, using aperture and
shutter priority. This lead to some of the photos being out of focus due to
low shutter speed in bad light.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHdZgLG

On another point, I am awaiting delivery of a sensor cleaning kit.
I wonder how many of you have cleaned your sensors ?
Mine has a lot of dust which won't blow off.

I am also probably going to move from Lightroom V6.1 stand alone version,
to ExposureX5. It looks a very good programme.

This is another trip to the same place. Their last Tudor days of 2019.
I was experimenting with Camera settings this time, using aperture and
shutter priority. This lead to some of the photos being out of focus due to
low shutter speed in bad light.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHdZgLG

On another point, I am awaiting delivery of a sensor cleaning kit.
I wonder how many of you have cleaned your sensors ?
Mine has a lot of dust which won't blow off.

I am also probably going to move from Lightroom V6.1 stand alone version,
to ExposureX5. It looks a very good programme.

Very interesting pics Alan, thanks for sharing !

Looks like you had a time machine and went back in time to take those pics ! :lol:

Thanks Gary,
Just to follow on from my previous post. The sensor cleaning kit arrived
and has been used. I had to clean it twice to get all of the dust off.

The amount of dust on the sensor only became apparent when I was taking
some pictures of aircraft using shutter priority. It was very bright and I
needed some prop blur. So the aperture closed down to about f20, this really
showed the dust up. It didn't show in my wildlife photography, as that lens
is f5.6 and I use manual mode. It was well worth cleaning the sensor, and
also the mirror, so I also get a cleaner view through the viewfinder.

My profession I do TV/Film and as a hobby took up Photography. Photography has actually started making me more money lately since I moved out of the big cities. From Director of Photography (cinematographer) to Producer back to Photographer. I love doing video, but Photography can be more lucrative in terms of job options.

The drawback to being a professional photographer is that tech is making it so easy for anyone off the street to produce similar quality photos with their camera phones. We call them pocket photographers.... It's really a downer because these professions and skilled trades are being washed out by JoeBob and his iPhone.

Im not sour. LOL

Anyway, I use a Canon T6S for my work and have a variety of lenses specific to the work I do. In fact, I am setting up a studio in the next month or two once construction is complete on the walls (making an infinite cyc). Fun times!

In reply to TheCoillist:

I have a Canon T5i, but I'm not a professional photographer. There are actually many situations where actual dedicated cameras can do things that cellphones cannot, but if all you want is to share selfies with other like-minded people, a cellphone is just fine.

My boss has a Canon 5D Mark III if I recall correctly, which is a full frame (as opposed to the 1.6x crop factor my camera, and I think yours also have). It's not his full time job, but he does make occasional money with side gigs, and there is a lot of editing and special lighting setups that cellphones can't do, that he works with.

The main "productive" work I do with my camera is close-up images of my ancient coin collection. I have a few extra lenses, but nothing like what my boss has.

Both DSLR etc. and cellphone cameras have their place, but how would you feel if you paid for a photographer for a wedding and they showed up only with their cellphone? :)

-- Tom

Last edited:
Yeah, don’t worry about the 1.6 crop factor. No need to pay the extra money for full frame if you know what your lenses are capable of and you can do the conversion in your head. I found it was cheaper for me to go without the full frame being that I’ve worked with plenty of Nikon and Canon cameras to realize the differences are minimal as far as quality. It’s not the body, it’s all in the glass you choose.

I’ve not used the 5D for photo professionally, but for video it was very lack luster unless it’s a B camera somewhere or just for B-roll without audio. I’m not a fan of using a still camera for video. It’s just not the same as a dedicated camcorder.

Edit: for the wedding situation, you would be surprised! A lot of people are doing it. I’ve seen people show up with point and shoot cameras to do the photos. And I’ve also seen people show up with nice professional cameras and don’t know how to use them. It’s like going to a kids sporting event and the parents have these 300mm zoom lenses. Uhh yeah the pictures are blurry because you’re lens is a F/4-5.8 and you have it on auto without a freaking tripod. Lol

Yeah, don’t worry about the 1.6 crop factor. No need to pay the extra money for full frame if you know what your lenses are capable of and you can do the conversion in your head. I found it was cheaper for me to go without the full frame being that I’ve worked with plenty of Nikon and Canon cameras to realize the differences are minimal as far as quality. It’s not the body, it’s all in the glass you choose.

I’ve not used the 5D for photo professionally, but for video it was very lack luster unless it’s a B camera somewhere or just for B-roll without audio. I’m not a fan of using a still camera for video. It’s just not the same as a dedicated camcorder.

Edit: for the wedding situation, you would be surprised! A lot of people are doing it. I’ve seen people show up with point and shoot cameras to do the photos. And I’ve also seen people show up with nice professional cameras and don’t know how to use them. It’s like going to a kids sporting event and the parents have these 300mm zoom lenses. Uhh yeah the pictures are blurry because you’re lens is a F/4-5.8 and you have it on auto without a freaking tripod. Lol

You are correct with regards to the telephoto lens. The largest I ever used was my Celestron C90 with a solar filter to take 1/60 second exposures of the sun (1000mm), but it was definitely mounted on a tripod. There is no way I would try and use it freehand. I have a really nice macro lens for coins and nature photography.

When I bought my Pentax K1000 (ancient history, got it at W. Bell), it came with a nice 50mm f/2 (inexpensive, but good) and a Samyang 80-200mm zoom (I think the coatings were cheap and it never took a good picture). I still have it, but who uses film anymore?

As for the 5D, my boss only uses it for photos, as he has dedicated equipment for videos. He had a problem at one wedding because someone else was using some equipment that happened to be on the frequency to trigger his remote flash, meaning when his photo was taken, it was too late. He told me of one couple who told people that they had a professional photographer, and to leave your cellphones at home/in the car/just not there, because of issues with people sticking their phones in the aisle and up high to take pictures, ruining shots for the professional photographer. Apparently that cause a lot of hurt feelings.

Happy photographing,

-- Tom

Full frame cameras are said to be better for Landscape and studio photography.
For wildlife snd sports a crop sensor can be an advantage. I use a D500 and
am more than happy with it. I won't be going mirrorless until Nikon bring out
one with dual card slots. Even then I may stick with what I have as it does the job.

On another but similar subject, pressing the shutter button is only half the job.
The work really starts in post processing. Some will say it's cheating, but it's
always happened in photography. You won't see a photo published anywhere
that hasn't been post processed.
I still use the standalone version of Lightroom, but when I eventually
change my camera I shall probably go with something like On1 Raw

I still use the standalone version of Lightroom, but when I eventually
change my camera I shall probably go with something like On1 Raw

Just to add....

I've been checking out various programmes for editing and processing RAW
files.The all have their good and bad points, I still compare everything to
Lightroom though, and have yet to find one which will let me process my
pictures as easily and quickly as LR. I typically have between 50 to 200 to
do at a time.My next one to try is Capture One. It's quite expensive, but if
it does the job.... I don't need to change yet, but am looking at some time
in the future when I upgrade my camera.

I'd be interested to hear what others use for processing multiple pictures

A few more..

Attachments

• K1600_DSCN7055.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7055.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 146
  • K1600_DSCN7119.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7119.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN7124.jpg
    DSCN7124.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 135
  • K1600_DSCN7363.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7363.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 137
  • K1600_DSCN6820.jpg
    K1600_DSCN6820.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 137
  • K1600_DSCN7418.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7418.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 131
  • K1600_DSCN7415.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7415.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 148
  • K1600_DSCN7469.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7469.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN7482.jpg
    DSCN7482.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 165
  • K1600_DSCN7523.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7523.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 147
  • K1600_DSCN7574.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7574.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 153
  • K1600_DSCN7641.jpg
    K1600_DSCN7641.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 142
  • K1600_DSCN6698.jpg
    K1600_DSCN6698.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 133
  • K1600_DSCN6711.jpg
    K1600_DSCN6711.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN6717.jpg
    DSCN6717.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 176
  • K1600_K1600_DSCN6812.jpg
    K1600_K1600_DSCN6812.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 172
  • K1600_DSCN6838.jpg
    K1600_DSCN6838.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 168
  • K1600_DSCN6862.jpg
    K1600_DSCN6862.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 179
Great photos. I have a few photos of Dragonflies, but none as good as yours.
They are nervous insects, and don't like you getting too close. I was
watching one last week, but it just wouldn't stop flying.

What do you use for processing your photos ? As I mentioned previously, I
have been trying out various programmes to replace Lightroom, and am now
trying out Capture One. I may also trial Luminar 4 when it is released.

Back
Top Bottom