In home security camera system

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Okay, so we live in a rural area and we have basically NO INTERNET access for uploading/downloading photos and videos. We have super slow internet for email, etc. via satellite and its got data caps.

However, I want to install a camera based security system that has the capability of recording to a DVR on site. All the systems that I see by the big companies require internet and service subscriptions.

I need to have probably 4 cameras inside and probably 4 outside. And because of this, I see a lot that require "WIFI"... now the question is, will these WIFI cameras work without actual internet access? Is the WiFi access they need just local to each other and the recording device through a router of sorts?

I could potentially setup a wireless router/switch if these devices just need to access each other, but there wouldn't be actual internet or ISP service on that router.

Anyone techie enough to answer? Thanks!!

It is possible to have wireless security cameras without internet access.

Here is a link to one example, I am not promoting this particular model as I have no personal experience with it but simply did a search to show you one example -

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Owl-Wireless-Security-WNVR201-44P-B/dp/B071S9N565/ref=sr_1_15

part of the description incudes this - "No Internet required and no monthly fees!"

You MIGHT still be able to set up remote access when away from home IF you have a smartphone with a data plan which gives you internet access thru your phone service.

I don't have a DVR set up to my security cameras (but they can record to a memory chip or to the cloud), but I can access our cameras when away from home on my smartphone using our phone's data plan. We do have regular at home cable internet, but I'm pretty sure I could still access our cameras thru our smartphone's data plan without the home internet, just not totally sure as our home internet rarely goes out, I'll have to remember to try it the next time it goes out just to make sure.

Last edited:
Awesome. That might be even better if it’s generating its own WiFi signal. Distance may be the only issue but good find!

Most everything else requires a router or switch and access points separate.

Awesome. That might be even better if it’s generating its own WiFi signal. Distance may be the only issue but good find!

Most everything else requires a router or switch and access points separate.

I just rechecked that link I sent and found this -

Secure Wireless Network
With its own independent wireless network ranging up to 300 FT., you will enjoy uninterrupted video without interference from other Wi-Fi networks.
(end of quote)

So it does have it's own network up to 300 feet (the 300 feet likely depends on what obstacles if any are between the base unit and the individual cameras)

I did a search on the "questions/answers" section and found this customer review:

Satisfied. It does what I wanted and needed it for.
By SoCal on December 5, 2017

I bought this to replace an earlier system. I had a little trouble getting it set up to record properly, which was handled easily through a few chat sessions and a phone call. One camera came with a damaged adjustment screw. A replacement was sent and return label for UPS emailed to me.

I set the system up connected directly to a flat screen TV and WiFi router. I did need to use the WiFi extension antenna for one camera some distance away, to monitor the back gate entry to the property.

The picture is good day and night, and real time, on the TV. Access by both tablet and desktop computer, is available for live view at a lower frame rate, but still good quality. Recordings are assessable from the main system and both tablet and desktop.

I set this up as a true security system, not as a real time monitor system. Still a live view is easily assessable on the flat screen TV. I have a separate live view, motion activated camera for the front door
(end of quote)

and these customer questions/answers:

Q: live in a 60 foot mobile home want 2 cameras in front and 2 in rear of home will this system work , mobile home is metal

A: Metal will reduce the signal strength more than most other obstacles. However, within the recommend range and with the addition of our Wi-Fi Extender Antenna, you should be good. Thank you!
By Customer Service on September 5, 2019
See other answers

Q: Does this system have a repeater function? that is, if cam1 has a weak wifi signal, it can use another cam that's closer as a repeater to the nvr.

A: We are not able to guarantee this type of setup. The wireless NVR has a 300 ft. Wireless range. Additionally, we include a 9 ft. WiFi Extender Antenna per every four cameras to help bypass certain obstructions, such as brick or concrete walls. The email notification will send you an image alert when motion has been detected. Thank you for choosing Night Owl!
(end of quote)

Since I do not have this type of system myself I can't personally vouch how good it is but only go by the customer reviews and questions/answers, so I would recommend doing a thorough search of the reviews and questions/answers on that page before deciding whether that system will work for your needs as far as distance needed and obstacles that might limit the distance.

Back
Top Bottom