Looking for Mid-Entry Level Detector

liquidspaceman

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and just starting to get into this hobby. I have a Discriminator by Famous Trails which I realize is not going to get me anything that's over 3 inches below the surface (just came back from a very disappointing run).

Anyhow, I have about $300 to spend so I can't afford any of the fancy $4000 gear obviously, but I would love something that actually can detect various metals (silver, gold, even iron in some cases for meteorites) and has a very deep detection depth. Maybe even up to 3 to 5 feet if possible.

Does what I'm looking for exist at my price range? I would maybe go $400 tops. Thanks so much for your help.

1. Whites Eagle Spectrum
2. Whites Eagle II

Here is what I like about those two.

Now, I have never owned or used an mxt,dfx,xlt, or any of whites newer lineup.

These detectors really hold their VDI. What I mean is, if your detector shows 53-54-53-55-53, sweeping over a target, 10 times out of 10, its a coin.

If it goes, 23-45-18-45, then its trash.

I've dug over 100 targets this way, and not once has the detector proven me wrong. Either its a coin, or something of similar size and metal content

So I am suggesting those two above as a good detector.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and just starting to get into this hobby. I have a Discriminator by Famous Trails which I realize is not going to get me anything that's over 3 inches below the surface (just came back from a very disappointing run).

Anyhow, I have about $300 to spend so I can't afford any of the fancy $4000 gear obviously, but I would love something that actually can detect various metals (silver, gold, even iron in some cases for meteorites) and has a very deep detection depth. Maybe even up to 3 to 5 feet if possible.

Does what I'm looking for exist at my price range? I would maybe go $400 tops. Thanks so much for your help.

Private message sent :)

3 to 5 feet? Unless you're trying to detect a buried submarine, I don't think you'll have much success finding a detector that can do this.

Even the best detectors aren't going to go much below 12" on coin and jewelry sized items. If you came across a big meteor you might get deeper, but not 3-5 feet. A really deep iron signal is going to be a pipe or some other big hunk of terrestrial iron junk nearly every time.

I guess you could get 18-20" with a PI machine, but you get no discrimination with a PI, that's why they are mostly used at the beach or other places where the targets are few and far between.

Tesoro Cibola at 340 bucks is a great land machine. As good as anything I've used and I've used a lot of different machines. Cibola is a sound machine with no meter. Depth is determined by tone volume. Dics works well. Great machine.

Back
Top Bottom