1943 copper wheat?

metaldetectxlt

i have always believes there is at least 20 copper 1943 wheat penneys minted by mistake. others say no. what do you think? and if there is....what would it appraise for? thanks

43 copper

My understanding there were only a handful minted in error. Last year One of our poker players said he had one. I took him up on it, and the following week he brought it in. He knew what I knew, but said nothing. First it was in a crusty gravy stained cardboard flip. Second the color was shall we say a bit off. It was a fake he bought years ago. copper over a 43 zinc. There were a lot of those fakes around. The copper fakes were the work of a craftsman that rearranged the stucture of another year coin to make it look like a 43.
I believe many of the short minted "mistakes" were more or less deliberate, and those "mistakes" fell into the hands of prominent individual collectors and other upper tier mint employees. The latest reported "error" coin was the first presidential dollar that was missing some edge lettering. I think uncle sam would like us to use dollar coins and attempted to draw interest with that obvious oversight. As an MDer I would like to see the introduction of $2 coins as well. Step one for success, stop making paper dollars. Sort of got off subject, but had to vent...Gil

Larger estimates???

i have always believes there is at least 20 copper 1943 wheat penneys minted by mistake. others say no. what do you think? and if there is....what would it appraise for? thanks

I have Breen's Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Coins. In it he states that estimated numbers are as follows: 1943 Bronze @40 known, 1943 D Bronze @24 known, and 1943 S Bronze @6 Known. So the total for that year is estimated at 70 pieces. I don't know if everyone is aware of the fact that 1944 P,D, & S, had a small quantity of them minted in STEEL, like the common 1943's. These numbers are subjective and are mostly done by the number of times they have come to auction or by verbal accounts of long time dealers that have seen some in collections, that have never made it to auction. Hope you find one though!!!:lol:

...It was a fake he bought years ago. copper over a 43 zinc. There were a lot of those fakes around.

These are very easily identified - they will jump to a magnet. (The 1943 pennies were made of zinc-coated steel.) Covering steel with copper doesn't do a thing to stop the magnetic forces!

These are very easily identified - they will jump to a magnet. (The 1943 pennies were made of zinc-coated steel.) Covering steel with copper doesn't do a thing to stop the magnetic forces!

I have one of those fakes myself. I bought it years ago for next to nothing, just to have as a novelty. I might post a picture of it if I can still find it.

One of them showed up here locally this year. Apparently a 13 year old found one in 1944 in Long Beach, then spent much of his adulthood trying to get it authenticated by the mint. After he passed away, he left it to his children who sold it to a dealer... then it was auctioned off.

Very few copper 1943's were minted by accident. Also some 1942's and 1944 were of Zink. All are worth several thousand of $, depending on the conditions of the coin. (:-o)

There are a lot of fakes out there, copper plated zinc, altered dates, cast counterfeits etc. The one's known go for very high dollars. RickO

I have one of those fakes myself. I bought it years ago for next to nothing, just to have as a novelty. I might post a picture of it if I can still find it.

Here's a picture of my 1943 copper plated cent, as promised.

Attachments

• 100_8466.jpg
    100_8466.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 367
Back
Top Bottom