I almost want to cut my leg off - Achilles Tendonitis help?

Kapi

Forum Supporter
My achilles tendon is hurting so bad that my entire lower left leg hurts so much I almost want to cut it off.

Any of you had this problem that are willing to share some techniques that helped you get over it?

I've been trying some stretching exercises, ice, rest, immobilizing it and even massage but as soon as it's a lot better BOOM it hurts all over again once I go back detecting :(

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that...... ive got a heal issue on my RIGHT foot. Ive had your issue before. I believe it has to do with digging with the scoop. In the water i tend to sometimes over stretch. Stretching helps...... but it kind of has to take care of its self. Ibuprofen seems to help since its an anti inflammatory drug. High dose just before bed.

Be mindful of actions that cause your toes to raise above your heels. I tore an achilles several years ago - after surgery to reattach, the recovery consisted of wearing a strap-on boot that started with a huge foam wedge under my heel. Then, as the recovery progressed, the doctor would peel away a layer at a time from the heel until it was at full strength.

I know this sounds insane for the beach (at least I think you're a beach hunter?), but maybe you could find some shoes (not high heels!) that would have a raised heel but still be comfortable enough to walk around and take the stress off your achilles

Sorry you’re in pain Kapi.

If you cut it off, do we start calling you “Peggy”?

:cool3:

R5

I have had the same issue for almost a year now. I started using my other foot to push the scoop in. When I get home I ice it down, kinda just dealing with it.

A friend who is a physical therapist told me to use ice then heat and go back and forth a few times always ending with heat. Then do some light stretching using a towel to pull the foot back. But like you said rest for a while it gets better then seems to come back.

Should probably have it looked at but like my father used to tell me, "strong like bull, dumb like ox" :laughing:

I don't know if shoe inserts help Achilles' issues but they sure help me with my plantar fasciitis. Also, I am a firm believer in physical therapy after my MCL tear on my Spanish hike in 2012. 2-3 years ago I did therapy for my left shoulder as well - as I was having bad pain caused by scooping. 6 months ago I decided I needed to strengthen my core so I started a push-up and crunches regimen program. I have gotten noticeably stronger and no longer have any back pain and recover much quicker after detecting. At 55, I am working to get back under 200 lbs. from my current 212 so that should help me age a bit more gracefully. I have seen what being overweight has done to my 78 year old dad and I want to be as physically as I can be.

Had

The same problem for a while, wore this at night time, issue went away in a week. stretch brace , let me find the link, you can get them off Amazon 27.99

Attachments

• P1010084.JPG
    P1010084.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 363
I Guess most beach hunters get from time to time, sometimes you just have to rest it as much as you want to get back out their hunting, I even had in my elbow and shoulder from where your dig or swinging the coil and it happens like they say take rest and take some pills, I use to take a muscle relaxer and that helped me some but mostly rest will help it a lot. hot this helps you.

Foot pain

Hi Kapi
MY wife and I are snow birds. We have been spending our winters in St Augustine for the last 10 years.
Two winters ago, I experienced the same pain you describe. I saw a podiatrist there in St Augustine. He put me in a boot for two months and prescribed physical therapy. It worked. Foot is fine now.
Good luck

Funny you should mention that...... ive got a heal issue on my RIGHT foot. Ive had your issue before. I believe it has to do with digging with the scoop. In the water i tend to sometimes over stretch. Stretching helps...... but it kind of has to take care of its self. Ibuprofen seems to help since its an anti inflammatory drug. High dose just before bed.

Thanks!

Be mindful of actions that cause your toes to raise above your heels. I tore an achilles several years ago - after surgery to reattach, the recovery consisted of wearing a strap-on boot that started with a huge foam wedge under my heel. Then, as the recovery progressed, the doctor would peel away a layer at a time from the heel until it was at full strength.

I know this sounds insane for the beach (at least I think you're a beach hunter?), but maybe you could find some shoes (not high heels!) that would have a raised heel but still be comfortable enough to walk around and take the stress off your achilles

Yeah I beach and water hunt :( Thanks!

Sorry you’re in pain Kapi.

If you cut it off, do we start calling you “Peggy”?

:cool3:

R5

LOL thanks!
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I have had the same issue for almost a year now. I started using my other foot to push the scoop in. When I get home I ice it down, kinda just dealing with it.

A friend who is a physical therapist told me to use ice then heat and go back and forth a few times always ending with heat. Then do some light stretching using a towel to pull the foot back. But like you said rest for a while it gets better then seems to come back.

Should probably have it looked at but like my father used to tell me, "strong like bull, dumb like ox" :laughing:

I have not tried heat and then ice etc... I will though!

I don't know if shoe inserts help Achilles' issues but they sure help me with my plantar fasciitis. Also, I am a firm believer in physical therapy after my MCL tear on my Spanish hike in 2012. 2-3 years ago I did therapy for my left shoulder as well - as I was having bad pain caused by scooping. 6 months ago I decided I needed to strengthen my core so I started a push-up and crunches regimen program. I have gotten noticeably stronger and no longer have any back pain and recover much quicker after detecting. At 55, I am working to get back under 200 lbs. from my current 212 so that should help me age a bit more gracefully. I have seen what being overweight has done to my 78 year old dad and I want to be as physically as I can be.

I remember you saying something about that before, thanks! I need to get into better shape!

The same problem for a while, wore this at night time, issue went away in a week. stretch brace , let me find the link, you can get them off Amazon 27.99
Thanks!

I Guess most beach hunters get from time to time, sometimes you just have to rest it as much as you want to get back out their hunting, I even had in my elbow and shoulder from where your dig or swinging the coil and it happens like they say take rest and take some pills, I use to take a muscle relaxer and that helped me some but mostly rest will help it a lot. hot this helps you.

Thanks! I haven't tried muscle relaxers yet but have some so will try that!

Hi Kapi
MY wife and I are snow birds. We have been spending our winters in St Augustine for the last 10 years.
Two winters ago, I experienced the same pain you describe. I saw a podiatrist there in St Augustine. He put me in a boot for two months and prescribed physical therapy. It worked. Foot is fine now.
Good luck

I've got a boot now but I take it off to go detecting :laughing:

Thanks everyone for the replies so far

Sounds like plantar fasciitis I had it for about 8 months. I picked up a heating foot massager at a thrift store, that and rest. I heard the boot works also.

If none of this helps , stick with your own 1st choice ( don't second guess yourself ) and cut your leg off ! One less detectorist and more gold for the rest of us. How much gold do you really need anyway ?

Could always be worse.. I tore all the ligaments in my left knee 2 years ago, still rehabbing it every day. What I've found has helped most was focusing on stengthening all the muscles around the injury to help stabalize it more and stretching 3-5 times per day... not the same type of injury but physical therapy does help a lot... doubt I'll ever fully recover.

Sounds like plantar fasciitis I had it for about 8 months. I picked up a heating foot massager at a thrift store, that and rest. I heard the boot works also.

I've had that several times but now wear the inserts in my water shoes and daily shoes/sneakers etc and have't gotten it again since. This is all back of the ankle pain but when really bad the whole lower leg hurts :(

If none of this helps , stick with your own 1st choice ( don't second guess yourself ) and cut your leg off ! One less detectorist and more gold for the rest of us. How much gold do you really need anyway ?

:laughing::laughing:

Could always be worse.. I tore all the ligaments in my left knee 2 years ago, still rehabbing it every day. What I've found has helped most was focusing on stengthening all the muscles around the injury to help stabalize it more and stretching 3-5 times per day... not the same type of injury but physical therapy does help a lot... doubt I'll ever fully recover.

Thanks!

Kapi, this is going to be a long post so settle in and I will tell you about my experience with tendonitis and maybe you will find something that will help you .I have had it for years in my heel, in my shoulder in my wrist in my fingers and in my back. I got fed up with it and decided to figure out on my own what was going on as I am my own doctor. The first thing that I learned that starts the process of my tendonitis is dehydration. I found that when I was dehydrated my tendon started to pull easier and I found that the more it was used the worse it got. Every time it hurts you're tearing fibers in the tendon .you keep tearing those fibers and eventually they'll shred and you will blow a tendon and then you are in big trouble cuz you'll need a cast to heal .When I finally figured this out and got healed up I made sure I stay hydrated and I've noticed I hardly don't ever get it anymore. When I do feel a slight pull it's because I'm dehydrated .The second thing is a repetitive motion that sets it up for damage. It could be the way you're stepping on the beach .Does it hurt when your heel makes contact or when you push off with your toes? Walking in the dry sand just shreds my legs I don't do it but once or twice a week now. If your boots are too heavy or you're stepping at a weird angle when you're kicking the dirt in your holes ,any of these motions could be causing it and what you need to do is change the dynamics. Instead of kicking with your right foot kick with your left.. that kind of thing .Once you figure out the mechanics is what's causing your problem the next step is to heal .The best thing that heals a tendon is ice, ibuprofen and rest. You say it gets better when you're off the beach for a while and you get rested .I'd say the beach is your problem. Ice relieves the inflammation and the heat and also stops the pain. Rest gives the fibers a chance to heal and that can take weeks so be prepared. You said you use massage. I found for me that massage made it worse because you're manipulating fibers that are already been broken and shredded and that really doesn't give a a chance to heal but that is what works for me. So in all of this I hope you found something that will help you. I will reiterate and say that dehydration is the main cause of the fibers getting stressed and torn hope this helps PM me if you want.

One more thing...when the tendon heals it will want to shorten and draw up...be sure to SLOWLY stretch..with no pain...in order to lengthen it again. Hope you get better soon.

Kapi, this is going to be a long post so settle in and I will tell you about my experience with tendonitis and maybe you will find something that will help you .I have had it for years in my heel, in my shoulder in my wrist in my fingers and in my back. I got fed up with it and decided to figure out on my own what was going on as I am my own doctor. The first thing that I learned that starts the process of my tendonitis is dehydration. I found that when I was dehydrated my tendon started to pull easier and I found that the more it was used the worse it got. Every time it hurts you're tearing fibers in the tendon .you keep tearing those fibers and eventually they'll shred and you will blow a tendon and then you are in big trouble cuz you'll need a cast to heal .When I finally figured this out and got healed up I made sure I stay hydrated and I've noticed I hardly don't ever get it anymore. When I do feel a slight pull it's because I'm dehydrated .The second thing is a repetitive motion that sets it up for damage. It could be the way you're stepping on the beach .Does it hurt when your heel makes contact or when you push off with your toes? Walking in the dry sand just shreds my legs I don't do it but once or twice a week now. If your boots are too heavy or you're stepping at a weird angle when you're kicking the dirt in your holes ,any of these motions could be causing it and what you need to do is change the dynamics. Instead of kicking with your right foot kick with your left.. that kind of thing .Once you figure out the mechanics is what's causing your problem the next step is to heal .The best thing that heals a tendon is ice, ibuprofen and rest. You say it gets better when you're off the beach for a while and you get rested .I'd say the beach is your problem. Ice relieves the inflammation and the heat and also stops the pain. Rest gives the fibers a chance to heal and that can take weeks so be prepared. You said you use massage. I found for me that massage made it worse because you're manipulating fibers that are already been broken and shredded and that really doesn't give a a chance to heal but that is what works for me. So in all of this I hope you found something that will help you. I will reiterate and say that dehydration is the main cause of the fibers getting stressed and torn hope this helps PM me if you want.

Thank you for the detailed post, I really appreciate it! I only drink water (ever), and lots of it. I don't drink alcohol, soda's or coffee even for instance but I'll try drinking more water. When I detect I bring 4 waters and my hunting partners usually go through 1 while I go through all 4. LOL

You made a great point about the stretching without pain though. When I stretch it HURTS :( I'll stop doing that for sure. Stretch less, and if pain,stop.

It hurts a bit, but not too much, to walk. It really hurts to DIG... I will try to start digging with the other foot :)

Thanks again!

A few thoughts as I have the same condition under control.
1. You are treating an injury so treatment first is most important. Hot and cold compresses and rest are very important.
2. Try rolling your foot over and tennis ball with a good amount of pressure, every night.
3. Create a stretch plank, 12"x12" with a 45 degree incline and carefully use it to stretch the ligaments from the upper calf to the heel. Do not make this a painfull process, just enough to feel a good stretch in the areas mentioned. Do this at least every other day.
4. Go back to 1 and begin again. I took me over a year but I am able to control the problem very effectively.
I hope this is helpful as it has been very good for me.

Back
Top Bottom