I Need help!!!!!

Fool

I have a few questions and i know this is the forum to ask them, ive always believed that by going straight to the experienced saves lots of time!
Some background info: I am using a whites classic ID until my equinox comes in. I have used it before but it was passed down from my mom and she was the expert. I am hunting an old site with loads of junk iron, garbage, tires, ect. But its never been hunted and i know there is stuff there. The house burnt down in 1986 and was inhabited since the late 1800s. It was owned by my great uncle and my family purchased it shortly after the fire. He worked on cars out of his house in the 30s-70s, there are tires and car parts laying around the site. Yesterday i found aluminum lines, sections of tin roof, a button, hundreds of nails and junk iron. There are also 2 barns that fell over, a chicken coop and there used to be an outhouse. Back in the 1930s i think they through all the trash in the backyard...
So on to my questions:
  1. I get lots of loud iron signals, should i bother digging any of these?
  2. Towards the end of the hunt i started digging signals with no audio, but showed on the screen in high ranges. Should i do this? Are my settings wrong?
  3. Should i just skip this site? I dont wanna waste alot of time digging trash when i can go to other places.
  4. Does anyone have experience searching through a house that was burnt down? Im thinking the wood and soot covered a good layer into the cellar, will i still be able to get signals?
  5. Does my detector have the ability to discriminate against junk iron? I read a little bit on it but that was 15 years ago....

Thanks! I am looking forward to putting some time in this year but want it to be productive...
John

Edit: pics did not work...
https://ibb.co/iQoHXc
https://ibb.co/eXY6Qx
https://ibb.co/m8O6Qx
https://ibb.co/mJVaJH
https://ibb.co/bYrhyH

Well John..after reading your post...picturing the site in my mind..."WWJD?" scenario...I'd call up my Buddy up who owns a D5 bulldozer and work a deal?

It would go like this: "You can park your rig here, for free, I'll keep an eye on it...But I will need a set of keys and a topped off tank"...Then, after he left, I'd drop blade and give a quick skim of the overburden junk and locate the outhouse hole...at the very least you can have some fun pushing things around and dig up some bottles?. In lieu of that option, I'd say 'da hell widdit' and go hunt totlots....some metal just aint worth the effort..

I hunt old cellar holes early 1800s to early 1900s, a few of which I suspect of having burned. In fact just hunted one last night that burned. Most of the stuff in the center Of the foundations I don't even bother with. It will require manual sifting to really get anything, especially if the house was full when it burned. I hunt the primeter anywhere up to 50 or so yards from the hole. Its slow going and requires to dig the occosional large iron signals to unmask stuff. I've heard of people raking up the soil and going over it with large magnets before detecting. Trying to clean up as much iron as they can. theres still plenty of stuff there somewhere I'm sure.

Thanks both, ill see if i can get a dozer on site ;)
I guess ill have to keep searching for now!

also just noticed your in western ny? i also live in that neck of the woods, what part are yoU?

hmm so how low should i turn it? Below P range?

Im currently hunting in LeRoy, Genesee County but live in Spencerport.

My best friend has a Classic ID and I have the MX5 so I would have to give a guideline I use. I INITIALLY set mine so a quarter can be hit at least 4-5" air test. If this improves the situation, I MAY go higher in these conditions. The giveaway, to me was when you said the ID was picking high numbers without sound-usually a sign of large iron deep. In one sentence, start as low as you feel comfortable with and increase as site allows. What happens is the iron blocks the return signal (overrides it) and with lower sensitivity has less effect on overriding the good signals. Sounds like you're in a "hot" trash area. Hope that makes sense.

My best friend has a Classic ID and I have the MX5 so I would have to give a guideline I use. I INITIALLY set mine so a quarter can be hit at least 4-5" air test. If this improves the situation, I MAY go higher in these conditions. The giveaway, to me was when you said the ID was picking high numbers without sound-usually a sign of large iron deep. In one sentence, start as low as you feel comfortable with and increase as site allows. What happens is the iron blocks the return signal (overrides it) and with lower sensitivity has less effect on overriding the good signals. Sounds like you're in a "hot" trash area. Hope that makes sense.

yea ill try that setup thanks. I really am just starting detecting this year. I used this Whites growing up but belonged to my mom. So i have lots to learn!

Since it is in your family, I'd use it as my can't go anywhere else today lot. Just start cleaning it up. try to figure out where the clothesline might have been and clean an area of junk. someday you might start finding great stuff there. Just don't expect it to be soon and you won't abandon it.

Hunting parks and schools would be much more productive Coin-wise...don’t under estimate your machine. With the 950 coil 8” coins are pretty easy,in mild soil. You wont know what a coin sounds like hunting that place.

hmm so how low should i turn it? Below P range?

Im currently hunting in LeRoy, Genesee County but live in Spencerport.

Im and hour and a half south of you. let me know if you want to get together and i cant ry and show you what i know.

Back
Top Bottom