Old Campground silver

montanamuzik

Elite Member
Went to hunt an old stone cellar tonight (kind of a flop so far) It is near an old apple orchard from 1890s but built into a hill North facing (In old timber). Im pretty sure it was just a cool spot to store apples not much there. Anyway on the hike out I remembered the landowner refering to this one spot as "The campground pasture" when I was working there growing up. Three swings in, sure enough, an old tent stake. There is still an old basketball backboard nailed up on tree. So I thought "hrrrmmmmmm?" (good place to loose $) Sure enough, 54 Rosie at bottom of pine with backboard. Found three wheats within 10 ft or so. (1917 the earliest, the other two in the 50s) I think I remember him saying it was a popular camping area up until the 50s or so, then acquired by the ranch in land swap but kids still partied there in the 70s. Also found another live round, this one marked FA 28. It looks old. The ladies trinkets I found yesterday at an older site on same ranch. Butterfly bracelet and some 1/2 something or others I have seen identified before. I think the the old camping area has potential. Only was there about an hour. There is fire fings spread all about. I will talk to rancher tomoroow and see where access was, where people parked and such. Grass is still short there but tons of HUGE dry cowpies to swing around!

Attachments

• dig micro barber 046.jpg
    dig micro barber 046.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 592
  • dig micro barber 045.jpg
    dig micro barber 045.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 604
  • dig micro barber 048.jpg
    dig micro barber 048.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 593
Those are some cool finds, that old decorative brass stuff looks cool, and congrats on the silver!

Very cool hunting site!

Ain't it a relief to hunt a place that was popular before pull tabs?

FA 28 headstamp likely indicate Frankfort Arsenal, 1928. I think you are going to spend some very pleasant hours at that site!

Awesome finds! Good luck with your hunts. Just remember to avoid the wet pies! Even the ones which look dry on the outside can be like pudding in the middle. A friend found out the hard way when he fired a pellet gun into one at close range: can you say 'green freckles'? That memory still brings a smile to MY face!!

Awesome finds! Good luck with your hunts. Just remember to avoid the wet pies! Even the ones which look dry on the outside can be like pudding in the middle. A friend found out the hard way when he fired a pellet gun into one at close range: can you say 'green freckles'? That memory still brings a smile to MY face!!

Bwaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! All the pies are dry and rock hard here. Spent about an hour tonight at this site. 64 dime, 65 and 66 too (1 outa three aint bad) also about 10 or so more wheats, and several lincolns early 60s. I'll post a pic. All the coins tonight were found within a 20 ft radius or so, right near where I found the silver last night. Thing is...terribly hard to swing. With the cowpies. I ---- you not. These don't sit low to the ground, some I bet are a foot high and hard as a rock. I kick them one way, then the other but theyt are alays in the way. (The cows we had in that pasture laid these bombs while relaxing under the shade of these pines) Need to get the small harrow in there or bring a big hand arena rake or something for the pies and pine needles. There must be a bigger silver in here for me somewhere.

Tonights old campground finds. Ill take pic next time I go of cowpies. You will see what I mean when I say they are hard to work around.

Attachments

• dig micro barber 051.jpg
    dig micro barber 051.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 334
Really great finds! And in only an hour. Nice job. Suggestion: Before the rancher puts the cows back in that pasture, mix a little ex-lax in the feed.

Back
Top Bottom