**update**cleaned ct civil war button

HEAVYMETALNUT

Forum Supporter
I tried the amonia bath repeatedly that was reccomended by fellow forum member Waterhead. it did do some improvement for this heavily green encrusted button but,not the result I had anticipated.
I decided to dig out the bottle of CLR and plopped it in. worked on it for about an hour and VOILA! looks a lot better now! ;)

Before

before amonia

Attachments

• JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 018 [].jpg
    JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 018 [].jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 890
back

Attachments

• JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 022 [].jpg
    JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 022 [].jpg
    62 KB · Views: 682
  • JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 024 [].jpg
    JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 024 [].jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 767
  • JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 025 [].jpg
    JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 025 [].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 834
Looks grreat. I would think if you soaked it in more clr, followed by a stiff nylon brush, might take the rest of the green off.

Looks grreat. I would think if you soaked it in more clr, followed by a stiff nylon brush, might take the rest of the green off.

yeah i may finish it.i was using a soft toothbrush with the CLR but after a hour i got kinda bored and said maybe i best leave it as it is now.i don't wanna overdo it

Dave, that is a great looking button. You did a great job on cleaning it up. I have some green headstamps that I am going to have to give the clr treatment to and see how it works.

Doug

I need to try that!

Thanks for the tip, Dave. I just dug 4 identical small CW buttons (NYS Militia) and several flat buttons that were burned in a fire/trash pit and have stubborn baked on deposits. A toothbrush/toothpick and soapy water only went so far. I'll give the CLR a try!

Thanks for the tip, Dave. I just dug 4 identical small CW buttons (NYS Militia) and several flat buttons that were burned in a fire/trash pit and have stubborn baked on deposits. A toothbrush/toothpick and soapy water only went so far. I'll give the CLR a try!
cool! show some pics before and after!

Nice Results Dave

I need to pick some CRL and give it a try myself.

I didn't realize that the green scum was so dreadful up North. It almost looks like the slime on a pond.

Anyhow, the button looks great, now I'll give your recipe a try on my next dirty button.

Thumbs up buddy!

I need to pick some CRL and give it a try myself.

I didn't realize that the green scum was so dreadful up North. It almost looks like the slime on a pond.

Anyhow, the button looks great, now I'll give your recipe a try on my next dirty button.

Thumbs up buddy!
thanks! the ammonia wouldn't take off that green.the same green that ya find on old indian heads and large cents pretty much.some stubborn stuff i tell ya! I'm really shocked that under the green it wasn't pitted?

You cleaned that one up pretty well Dave. Personally, I like alittle patina on finds.. Adds to the uniqueness of a an old find.. Looks great the way it is..

You cleaned that one up pretty well Dave. Personally, I like alittle patina on finds.. Adds to the uniqueness of a an old find.. Looks great the way it is..
thanks Bruce but,that green was more than patina,it was corrosion which i feel is not good to leave on something historical if it can be taken off to preserve it longer.
the button is still a brownish color.the last pic looks like gilt.the light i had it under made it look all gold gilted again and it's not.most of the gilting is gone pretty much except a slight trace of it in the lined fields in center of the button.

thanks! the ammonia wouldn't take off that green.the same green that ya find on old indian heads and large cents pretty much.some stubborn stuff i tell ya! I'm really shocked that under the green it wasn't pitted?

Hmm...do you have a few spare coins you could try removing the green crud off with? I have a token that has some, and I would like to see it removed like your button!

Back
Top Bottom