Photographing coins

Blueonceagain

Elite Member
Do you need an expensive camera or just the knowhow to use an average one.I really am clueless.I would like to share some finds as I like looking at others hunts,junk and all.Thanks.

Don't get too close to the coin, and make sure you have decent light, then use a picture software tool to crop the picture down to the size of the coin(s). Make sure to turn the macro setting on if the camera has one.

I use my Kodak DX7630. When I have trouble getting the light I want, I have a couple of desk lamps and a pop-up light box. I also take a range of exposures since I don't know which one will come out best. Most reasonably priced cameras with a macro setting will do, and with the digital cameras, you can play around with the picture to resize/clean it up.

-- Tom

I have a hard time taking good pictures of coins also. My pictures seem to come out reddish. So now I put a white paper towel or something under them and it helps.

Here's 2 types of pics I took with my $90.00 camera. I use a lot of light on the close ups. Steve in so az

113peacocka.jpg

frontyard1.jpg

If your camera has good macro then there shouldn't be a problem. The backround is a biggie. It has to inhanse the coin so all can see the detail. I try to take pics of my finds in the sunlight but if that is not possible I have a floresent daylight lamp that works really good for me. It also depends on the camera you are using. I have a rather inexpensive Fuji Finepix 5000 and it takes excellent shots. A light box would be a good step in making great photos of your coins.

This was scanned with my all-in-one printer. I can't get the camera to not be blurry on close ups

Attachments

• rrtoken2.jpg
    rrtoken2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 374
Back
Top Bottom