New Spot

VA-REB

Forum Supporter
Today I finally went to speak with the next door neighbors of where I've spent much of the last year detecting. I am excited because I now have permission to do another 6 acres. I made a very quick pass through part of the property and did manage to pull out 1 buckle, 2 pulled bullets, and 1 other dropped bullet. I am excited because the place where I've spent a lot of the last year has been very good to me and the new permission is an adjoining property.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 220
That's a great start to a new spot , have a feeling your going to find a lot more relics to add to your collection . HH

Mark that area. Pulled bullets can indicate a guard duty/picket area. That Can help you lay out the activity of the the camp or post. Sometime severely fired bullets in a concentrated area where there was no "battle" perse can also indicate a Pickett. Obviously they did not want to leave rifle loaded with powder for long periods of time to get wet, so they discharged after guard duty was over into the ground.

Mark that area. Pulled bullets can indicate a guard duty/picket area. That Can help you lay out the activity of the the camp or post. Sometime severely fired bullets in a concentrated area where there was no "battle" perse can also indicate a Pickett. Obviously they did not want to leave rifle loaded with powder for long periods of time to get wet, so they discharged after guard duty was over into the ground.

I think you are spot on. Between the 2 pulled bullets I got yesterday, and with what I've already found very close to where I found those (somewhere in the area of 1 dozen pulled bullets), I had already theorized it was the result of some type of guard duty. I'm thinking that it is possibly the result of having pulled the bullet after being relieved of duty sometime in the night. They would need to get the bullet out of the barrel, but surely wouldn't fire the musket, in the middle of the night. There were literally tens of thousands of troops spending the Winter here and could you imagine what the sound of a fired musket in the middle of the night would do? There was no fighting in this spot. I might add that a fired musket in the middle of the night in this spot might have, very likely, awakened the commanding general of these troops. It is close enough to where he was at to do so.

Back
Top Bottom