• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What’s up with this park?

Darktower007

Forum Supporter
So a park where I hunt a lot there use to be 4 homes on it (found some old maps in the library and indicating homes were present in 1930’s).

I took my at max, f70 and other detectors there but the square nails, deep iron, washers, bolts etc. shut them all down. Honestly the worst nail infestation I’ve ran across.

Now the deus.

I’m able to use full tones zero discrimination and fast recovery and pick out high tones.
The !!!! I’ve dug is mind boggling. I’m able to check deep iron going to 4khz and check for deep iron.

My question is I’ve only dug wheats like 20 of them 1 civil war bullet smashed lead and one IHP and ZERO modern coins????

Where’s the silver?

Has someone came behind me and cleaned the modern clad?

Could it be so heavily masked I haven’t found it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you've found 20 wheats but no clad or silver in a public park I'd say someone else has cherry picked the easy stuff, probably with an inexpensive detector.

If you've found 20 wheats but no clad or silver in a public park I'd say someone else has cherry picked the easy stuff, probably with an inexpensive detector.

Agreed. I'd say that the OP probably just THOUGHT the silver was being masked by the iron. It probably wasn't, to the degree being assumed, simply because the OP wasn't finding it it.

The Deus is fast, and it can pick out targets, but even a less capable machine can be understood by detectorists to pick out nice silver sounds...

Sorry bud.. :(

Skippy

Agreed. I'd say that the OP probably just THOUGHT the silver was being masked by the iron. It probably wasn't, to the degree being assumed, simply because the OP wasn't finding it it.

The Deus is fast, and it can pick out targets, but even a less capable machine can be understood by detectorists to pick out nice silver sounds...

Sorry bud.. :(

Skippy

Yup that’s what I figured. I was hoping the silver was really deep but, the IHP (1880) was 7 inches so if it’s not there it’s not there. I will continue gridding till I feel it’s been worked over by my newbie standards of dig it all, or almost all of it.

Yup that’s what I figured. I was hoping the silver was really deep but, the IHP (1880) was 7 inches so if it’s not there it’s not there. I will continue gridding till I feel it’s been worked over by my newbie standards of dig it all, or almost all of it.

Maybe someone had a Etrac in there already?

Focus on targets 5” and lower only. When I hunt Chicago parks if it’s less then 5” I don’t dig it. The older stuff is deeper and that’s what I’m after. Now that’s not saying I may be missing a shallow silver but I try and target the older stuff in keep in that depth range to up my odds. And your site seems to be hit so start digging the iffy tones. Most of the silver I find has iron next to it or on it. There is silver there and you will find it just keep at it.

Hunt from the sidewalk/street to 20’ in...the rest is bulldozed houses,old rotten hardware and general shitt. If you’re noticing a suspicious rocky gravel layer 5-6” deep you’re too far in...
Just my observations in a couple of similar sites.

Maybe try to pull an old silver multidenom tight spill or stack out of there?...Like a Vnickel with a Barber D or something similar?....You can practice distinguishing that tone in the yard just by stacking different coins that would typify an old spill/stack...Maybe a $5 gold coin is sitting right on top of a Seated Half down in there!

You hunt there a lot so you know the dirt pretty good by now, you got some high end gear...you know where you got the wheaties, so thats the place to begin hunting for a Multidenom stack....Good Luck!

Thanks folks. Tennessee has a slow sink rate. I’ve never dug a coin beyond 10 inches (heavy clay with chert). Yes unfortunately this park will take months to grid and dig everything that sounds even decent but for there I can move on to my next target.

Hum, I don't remember hunting the place, but yes, sounds like it has been cherry picked. LOL

On second thought sounds like it was cherry picked by an armature. Had I cherry picked it you wouldn't have found anything but trash.

I have a place just like this too...its a big old Park built with foundry slag and various soils for fill with about a 3-4" layer of clay/sod on top...Its still very active, so all sorts of caps and tabs and foil and whatnot. Like you said, just a screaming mess that is about unhuntable with traditionally accepted methods/settings....So, its been a great outdoor education place to practice on about the worse situation a guy could ever encounter, and it has helped me tremendously having no Fear of hunting in the trashiest locations ...

I run a light sens, neg thresh, Full tones and fast to hear the pips and pings, then I 'hop coil' over top to further determine the validity of the signal since a side to side swipe or wiggle is interfered with by all the various other nearby targets...as I hop coil, I'm raising the coil ever so slightly to also determine the depth and size of target...

It sort of turns that big 11"dd into a sniper coil of sorts...works on my AtPro with that big NEL Thunder as well as on the F70..hopping coil...

Hopping coil shoots the 'beam' straight down, instead of a side to side sweep or wiggle...if you turn 90 degrees in the process, it pinpoints exactly...Might want to try hopping coil to shoot the signal straight down in between the iron on a strange tone masked signal in a mess like that?

Etrac was paralyzed there. Even in TTF. Just to many nails..... I mean it’s insane

Lol,,I was just kidding...good luck tho getting some silver there.To me wheats and silver dimes sound the same on the Etrac,so I’d say if your finding wheats there is silver there

Wouldn't be in Eastlake would it?

Hit the edges. I've found my best stuff in those areas.

Depending on your Deus setup you could be losing silver, Calabash Digger has a vid on here exposing the problem. But i think i remember you have to be using discrimination and maybe notching iron wrap. Might be worth looking into.

And that's really the only way to find the good stuff! Stay on it. ;)

Multidenom tight spill, coil hopping, boy you never stop learning. Going to try that.
The post about the deeper targets also may try though hard to pass any good tones but can do them another time. I'm looking for the deep target also

Thanks guys !

Back
Top Bottom