• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Why Do You Metal Detect ?

I like the history and buety of vintage coins, so this hobby seems a great match, it's really the excitement of finding old coins some over hundreds of years old.

But I must confess it can be frustrating finding a new place to hunt.

It's the unknown treasure that you may find. You never know when you may dig up a huge diamond ring or a big gold coin or some awesome silver coin or whatever it may be. I love scratch tickets because you never know when you may hit it big!

I enjoy it for several reasons. The thrill of what can be found is like stepping back in time sometimes when one finds something lost from years past,just the thought of how and why it was lost by the person and the circumstances surrounding how it came to be. The things we find be it new or old all have some kind of story to tell when we research such found items and the pleasure at times reuniting lost items to the owner who had lost them is priceless when done.

I'm on the phone or on jobsites all day. I like to put on the headphones and Zen out to the threshold tone.

Finding silver is an added bonus.

Plus, it is the thrill of the hunt!

I am putting together the worlds most complete collection of scrap iron. :laughing:

Seriously, the exercise helps lots, being alone, to myself, in my own head is great (I have a handicapped son, and he takes up most of our time/energy, nothing wrong with needing a break). I like the idea of finding cool artifacts/coins.

Pretty much what everyone already stated. One thing regarding the thrill of finding something good....I wonder if most of us had an above average thrill of Christmas morning. My own excitement was off the charts. -Way above my siblings. I think that carried over into adulthood, and lead me to this hobby. Just can't wait to see if I get something really good. :lol:

I'm disabled and have diabetes so needed exercise but not stressful and at my own pace, I have worked with dirt, stone and crud since I was a teenager and love finding old things so this seemed perfect and although I don't get out much its better then not getting out at all, for my health especially

Simply put it gives me time to hang out with the kids. I take one with me everytime I go. I love seeing the looks on their faces when we get a nice solid hit. It started out as a way to give me something to do as I was walking for therapy. Then the kids asked to go. Now my 11 y/o daughter is asking for a MD for christmas. Even my 3 y/o granddaughter wants to dig with pawpaw. Even if we dont find anything it makes it all worth it to hang out with the kids.

Cause I live on an island and my detector wont find ambergris. :no: So I figure gold, diamonds,platinum and rare coins may be the next best thing. :laughing:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...bergris-charlie-naysmith-whale-vomit-science/ This explains it for those of you who dont know. I still look for this stuff when I'm at the beach but nothing yet. :( I love the history of metal detecting. never know what you may find, could always be a rare something or other.

I enjoy utilizing technology to recover/rescue treasure and history that would otherwise sit there, and or maybe, eventually be lost forever...

Also for the simple love of silver and gold!!

<*)))>{

I go out very early at sun up...this is a peaceful time of the day and the exercise does me good...The thrill of the hunt, not knowing whats in the next hole. Its a great all around experience

because i can't stop!

This. And when my average clad hunt total is about 50¢ (on the high side), and I ask myself "Why do I even bother!", I just enjoy it.

I think it is from my youth, the excitment of the possibilities, of the unknow as daring as it is haha.

Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom