My garden

achaios

Forum Supporter
This is only my second attempt at a garden, and I planted sweet peppers, lima beans, and bitter melons. Well, the bitter melons have overgrown the place, far exceeding my expectations. I think they are probably going to choke out the others. I found one that was ripe today, and I'm going to cook it with some chicken, black bean sauce, and green curry sauce (just experimenting).

I'll see how it goes. Since I'm on Metformin, I will have to watch what happens, because apparently, bitter melon can lower the blood sugar by itself.

My previous attempt at a garden several years ago was destroyed by crows and squirrels. I think I got one green pepper, one banana pepper, and 2 hot peppers out of that. So far, I haven't seen a squirrel dumb enough to bite into one of the bitter melons. :)

-- Tom

Last year I picked zero tomatoes because the tree rats and chipmunks got to them first... this year has been better so far... maybe the fox and coyotes are taking what cars and trucks don't kill :lol:

I had a big garden up north

Deer, moose and raccoons were common visitors. I had veggies galore, grapes, black raspberries and apples.

In Florida I have a small area. I grow tomatoes twice a year, cukes, Sweet and jalapeno peppers, cabbages in the winter, a few onions. and green beans year round. I have a lemon tree two peach trees and 6 blueberry bushes.

Rabbits are a problem. I have three lifelike decoy owls I move around just to keep the bunnies on their toes. The biggest problem is diseases and bugs.

Tomatoes are touchy. There is Fusarium 1 and 2, Verticillium, Tobacco mosaic, and nematodes. You need to stay out front of those things.

Plenty of flowers and too many weeds. Good luck Tom, Bitter melon?
I got to look into that.....

The tomatoes are doing well and I picked the last of the green beans this afternoon. I put up 14 pints of beans to balance out what is still canned. Ive taken almost 10 gallons of beans to the Food Closet. I am taking in about a gallon of carrots tomorrow. The only time I have to fight with the tree rats are just after planting or when the plants are young. They like to dig in the beds looking for whatever or burying peanuts from the neighbors.

They're even eating my pears! Next year I'm trimming all the limbs to stop their tree to tree pass ways and going with the topsy turvy upside down containers. It's said the tendency for the plant to fight upward against gravity strengthens the plant and the hanging produce keeps them from varmints on the ground.

We have a small veggie garden of 8 tomato plants and some onions, as well as a big patch of rhubarb (honorable mention goes to the wild berry bushes on our property). A few years back when we planted tomatoes, they really didn't thrive, as they weren't recieving a sufficient amount of sunshine. This year we selected a sunnier spot to garden, and, thankfully, the tomatoes are doing great - except for outgrowing their cages. :D Surprisingly, we haven't had any trouble with critters, and I'm praying it stays that way!

Last edited:
Squash bugs are decimating my garden this year. Squash plants look a bit sickly and turning yellow. Planted the cumcumbers from seed almost two months ago, and they’re not even one foot tall. I try not to overwater, and well water isn’t that great for a garden.

I fertilize the raised beds with aged chicken poo/straw last few seasons, but I’ve been told that if I bought the straw commercially, it may be contaminated with chemicals the farmer has sprayed on it. I have not had my soil tested yet but have not had a problem except for the last couple years.

One of the best tools a gardner can own

A PH meter! inexpensive, and worth every cent. Proper PH (parts hydrogen)

will solve most gardening problems....

Interesting topic. This year I didn't do much of a vegetable garden, a few hot pepper varieties, I make my own hot sauces. For the last few years however we had a wonderful garden. Corn, Zucchini, Squash, Beets, Bell Peppers, Potatoes, Peanuts, 5 types of Tomatoes, Kale, Celery, 4 Lettuces, Lima's, Peas, Brussel Sprouts and Broccoli. Yea, we had it going on.
The peanuts and potatoes were the most fun. An absolute hoot at harvest time.

Had my garden started in the spring but did really lousy trying to find time to keep up with it. Never even had a chance to stake the tomatos. The weeds are taller then they are but still a good 4-5 foot tall and producing. Letting the weeds act as natural stakes. Peppers appear to be doing alright for being as neglected as then have been. Had plans to plant a number of other things but never could find the time for it. Maybe next year, at least getting some goodies out of it so no major complaints

I love gardening but this summer, due to health issues, I did not put one out. Have got some very good tomatoes and sweet corn from local producers.

Had my garden started in the spring but did really lousy trying to find time to keep up with it. Never even had a chance to stake the tomatos. The weeds are taller then they are but still a good 4-5 foot tall and producing. Letting the weeds act as natural stakes. Peppers appear to be doing alright for being as neglected as then have been. Had plans to plant a number of other things but never could find the time for it. Maybe next year, at least getting some goodies out of it so no major complaints

I'm like you. Didn't keep up with it. But I'm still happy with it. I chowed some radishes, munch on a couple handfuls of green beans and pea pods every few days. My 4 tomato plants are sprawled out in the weeds, but producing nicely. One brussel sprout plant is kicking good. Some things didn't grow, or died off. Carrots are hanging in there. Grass has overgrown most of it. The roots are so tenacious, it is too hard now to just weed them out.

What are you using on the fruit trees to control insects? Our trees produce well, but too often the bugs sneak in...literally. LOL

Thanks!

Deer, moose and raccoons were common visitors. I had veggies galore, grapes, black raspberries and apples.

In Florida I have a small area. I grow tomatoes twice a year, cukes, Sweet and jalapeno peppers, cabbages in the winter, a few onions. and green beans year round. I have a lemon tree two peach trees and 6 blueberry bushes.

Rabbits are a problem. I have three lifelike decoy owls I move around just to keep the bunnies on their toes. The biggest problem is diseases and bugs.

Tomatoes are touchy. There is Fusarium 1 and 2, Verticillium, Tobacco mosaic, and nematodes. You need to stay out front of those things.

Plenty of flowers and too many weeds. Good luck Tom, Bitter melon?
I got to look into that.....

spraying with

What are you using on the fruit trees to control insects? Our trees produce well, but too often the bugs sneak in...literally. LOL

Thanks!

copper sulfate in the fall on branches, and Regular treatments with an orchard spray before blossoms open in Feb. and after fruit sets.

Being in Florida where we have low chill hours I prune after harvest (may) and again when most leaves fall in Jan.

Different climates and I don't know what trees you have so follow instructions for different fruits.

Lemons do not need pruning except if you want to reshape the plant from Bush to single trunk. I don't think you have citrus that far north.

Blueberries get one watering in the fall with a cup of vinegar per 5 gals of water to keep the PH low. Prune out center and dead twigs during the winter

Back
Top Bottom