Copper Magic Cleaning Solution!

OP3CRIMSIN

I'm sure the old timers already know about this trick but salty vinegar bath works well on copper. Not so hot on other coins but absolute magic on copper. Seems to work on some coppers better than others, not quite sure what the difference in debris coating makes it struggle but for the most part, if it's not black, it will turn shiny within seconds!

I used the vinegar/salt bath for my clad coppers and then when I was satisfied, I went to town on my 100 Dinar Iranian copper. This one took a little brass brushing but I think it looks amazing now!

I'm trying out many, many chemicals on clad quarters in an effort to get them shiny with no additional brushing. I've tried tire cleaner, windex, foamy engine bright, CLR, Draino, Scrubbing Bubbles, Hydrochloric Acid, Hydrogen Peroxide 27%, Soapy water, Vinegar, and a few more. So far, I get the quickest results with the Hydrochloric acid but it leaves them grayish silver with some pink splotches so far. It definitely makes it easier when I apply the wire wheel, but I'm trying to get to a "look ma, no hands" point. Oh yeah, trying to avoid the tumbler also but probably because I don't own one and have this nagging feeling that coins rubbing against coins will definitely knock down some surfaces regardless of what else you put in there.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I tried it on an Indian head I dug this year and it turned it into a nasty green glob..... if u didn't know it was an Injun you wouldn't know what it was......I really wish I hadn't tried it.....

I tried it on an Indian head I dug this year and it turned it into a nasty green glob..... if u didn't know it was an Injun you wouldn't know what it was......I really wish I hadn't tried it.....

I'm betting it's oils that do that. I'm slowly learning about my cleans through trial and error with a little background in chemistry. I believe a hydrogen peroxide bath prior to the vinegar/salt bath would've fixed that, might still fix it. But generally, the trick is more or less for newer copper. I just added a little elbow grease with the brass brush for the older stuff.

Back
Top Bottom