1786-1788 NJ copper coin please help!

Deeptrash

I found this coin the other day and I would love to be able to see a little more detail on it to get an exact ID. Has anyone found anything in this condition and had any luck restoring it? Any recommendations for a professional cleaning service? The picture doesn't show much but in the right light I can read the writing around the outside edge as well as see the outline of the shield.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 925
Nice find but it looks like toast. I wouldn't spend a nickel on professional cleaning. If you can clean it enough to ID it as Jersey copper be happy and enjoy it for what it is. Use a toothpick to clean the surfaces and then rub it with your thumb after getting some skin oil from your forehead(No Joke). As far as monetary value in that shape it has little value. Many of my coppers look that way ...but I love them anyway.

Chances are that any attempt to clean it will do more damage then good. I made that mistake before on an old copper that had little detail to begin with but had NO detail by the time i was done.

Try to experiment with lighting and taking pictures and you might be able to see some additional details in the picture. I also saw someone on here (I think with user name "TheTeacher") that does something with picture the makes them look like a negative and I was amazed by the detail that showed up.

Congrats on an amazing find. I hope it reveals some of its secrets for you.

I have one of those that was in about your condition I used hot hydrogen peroxide and then a soft tooth brush in between. The condition of mine was very poor so I was not concerned just wanted to see the coin better. You can also lightly rub the coin with oil from your forehead after to help the coin a bit as well. Do not do this if you want to keep value in the coin, but can help for taking some of the crud off. Best of luck hope it helps.

Look in the cleaning finds thread here, can't recall the name but a guy here does great work on toasted large coppers using dental picks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've learned the hard way that sometimes the only thing holding the surface together IS the crud and messing with it takes away any chance of ID ing the coin. What I do now is take it to a professional first ! If there's anything there, he knows where to look on the coin and he's very familiar with all kinds of different coins. Good luck

Nice find! Here's a tip when taking pics with little detail on the coin. Turn the lights off and place a flashlight on the table right next to the object and point it at it. Any raised spots should show up first. Here's an example. 20160811_003644.jpg
As for cleaning , I wouldn't lol HH!

I have one of those that was in about your condition I used hot hydrogen peroxide and then a soft tooth brush in between. The condition of mine was very poor so I was not concerned just wanted to see the coin better. You can also lightly rub the coin with oil from your forehead after to help the coin a bit as well. Do not do this if you want to keep value in the coin, but can help for taking some of the crud off. Best of luck hope it helps.

Excellent point here I believe. If I remember right (and a lot of times I don't - DYODD)) peroxide reduces the salts (corrosion/mineralization) back to a simple metal oxide state which can be rinsed off more easily with help, like a toothbrush, to clean some of the junk off locked in with the corrosion/mineralization. Peroxide doesn't do much if anything to the original base metal. Please re-post after cleaning pics if you will. Thanks.

Ev

It's hard to judge a coin by a picture but my guess is that ones toast. Sometimes coins are like people...you just have to accept them for what they are.:D Great find BTW, old coppers rule and as long as you can identify it, it's a win as far as I'm concerned, check it off the list. Good luck with your next.

Back
Top Bottom