Newbie has a Question or two...

KirkS

I picked up a White Treasure Pro, and I'm trying to learn the ropes.

Yesterday morning I went to a popular beach, and found.... a bottle cap. :p I figured out that I was swinging too fast, and really didn't have the settings correct.

After re-reading the manual, I decided to try again today. Went to a tiny (25'x10') 'beach' which is more of a cut in the mangroves that fishermen use for shore fishing. Had a better understanding of my settings, and found a number of pull tabs, 2 fishing weights, and a spinner off a lure.

There were two signals I couldn't find. Both of them I dug to about 12" down, and the TRX was saying it was still in there, and I was close, but for the life of me I couldn't find them. Water was filling the hole(s), it stunk to high heaven, and I was really expecting it/them to be more pop-tops, so I gave up.

Any idea why I couldn't find it/them? Everything I've read about the TPro, it only can go to about 9", and these holes were definitely 12" or more. If it weren't for the TRX, I would have said they were false signals. Why would I get signals so deep?

could have been a gold bar or a long lost loot from a heist... that's the beauty of this hobby. the possibility is always in the back of your mind

Black sand can real havok with accuracy of signals/tones. If it was a real signal, I'd bet it was a large target. Something like an aluminum can, tent stake, etc.

Go back and check it out!

Yeah if your starting out, like me, dig until you find it. Ive done this several times already and still do depending on the tone. At the same time I've learned to get a good estimate on the size of an object before I even dig it now. I still dig it but I'm somewhat aware of what is already going to happen. And I always recheck the hole afterwards because you never know what could be laying right next to that can that wasn't heard because it was laying next to such a large conductive target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learn how to SIZE your target. Was that salt water? If so it was falsing. Stuff like sea weed will hold black sand ..... and a little water and you get falsing. BIG iron can make a machine false if you have the sensitivity to high..... even HOT ROCKs. Learn bottle caps and iron...... everthing else kick or dig.

Dew

Most likely a treasure chest full of gold...:laughing: I have had this happen to me too...usually just ends up being some underground piping but on the beach who knows!

Could be false signal from the saltwater. You said the whole was filling with water. I've had it happen with my first machine that I owned. It would false in salt. Now I have a pulse machine and a vlf. I'm all set now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Part 2

I went out again tonight, this time to one of our many tourist beaches to practice and hope. Worked just the 'dry sand', and picked up some clad (7 coins for $0.72), but not much else. Honestly, I was pleased with that.

But, there was one signal that the machine said was about 6", VDI was low, and it would say "gold" (but I know it's not 100%) but I started to dig. Got about 7", and the hole started to get water. My TRX was saying I was pretty much on top of it, but no matter how far I dug, the TRX never changed, and the whole time I had water in the hole it was saying I was right on the target. I gave up after the hole was bout 14" diameter by about 12" deep.

I figured it was falsing because of the water (salt), but the sand never became black, just tons of shell bits and 'normal' sand. Even after I filled the hole, I would get the same signal. Do I need to just dig until I either find it/something or hit China? I don't want to leave something in the ground, but I also don't want to dig all night.

Me thinks I have a lot to learn in this hobby!

I spend a lot of time detecting at the beach and on occasion I have one of those targets that I can not seem to be able to get deep enough fast enough to retrieve. The sand is caving into the hole faster than I can dig.

Some times I can get to the target by digging as fast as possible for a number of scoops then checking the sand pile to see if I managed to find it. And it us usually Junk. Sun glasses sometimes are difficult for me to get in the scoop and I use a monster scoop.

Some times I just give up and go looking for greener pastures.

A single frequency vlf detector will always have a huge disadvantage in wet salt. It can be done but you will not have depth and fight loads of falsing compared to a multifrequency or a PI machine. Most experienced hunters just will not use one except on dry sand where it will work very well. If you still want to try here is some generic advice:
The ability to judge well comes with experience. The ability to balance time, strength and the likelyhood of a valuable target, comes slowly but your productivity will increase as you build these skills. Foil and other trash score the same as gold but you really cannot ignore it until you are VERY skilled, if ever. Just know one gold ring outweighs a thousand pieces of slaw and trash. Time spent will eventually payoff. Iron like a tent stake can throw off a signal by several inches. Using the PP feature of the detector and or turning down the power setting on your pin pointer can help with hard to locate targets. Most falses do not repeat so if you get a consistent signal and it does not move or shift to the iron range as you dig deeper it is more likely worth pursuing until you locate it. If it moves or goes down instead of up or stays the same you may well want to move on.
Just my hard earned two cents. Good luck and HH!

If I was gonna be a beach hunter only I'd get a pi that is waterproof and never look back and dig it all

George - It was filling too fast. I tried as fast as I could, but nope...

PastorTom & Liquidshredder - I know the TPro has it's limitations in wet sand, so I'm not going there until I have progressed enough to consider it. I got this machine because a) I expect(ed) to also to hit parks, so I wanted something that can discriminate, and b) it was the right price at a pawn shop, and is still under warranty. If I find I'm only hitting the beach, and I find myself enjoying this new hobby, then I'll move to something more appropriate (Excal?) for wet salt. The idea of digging everything with a PI machine was not appealing, and I think too many tabs/junk would cause me frustration and diminish the appeal of MD'ing.

The signal last night was definitely repeatable from all angles, and that's why I tried to find it. If the weather holds up tonight, I may go after it again.

I was pretty far from the water, although the beaches here are short, and I wasn't expecting to hit water so relatively shallow. I did notice that I'm learning what is a good target vs junk, but I still dug up a couple of bobby-pins.

The only other thing I noticed that was bugging me, and this may be inherent to the TPro, is that if I hit the sand (dry) during a swing, it would give a high tone signal. It also gives a signal if I stop swinging and just place the coil on the ground. Otherwise, at this point, I'm enjoying the machine and the hunt.

When digging near the water....... remember, as the hole collapses the target will move toward the center of the hole. Just keep digging there.

Use you PP/AM to SIZE a target...... if its really deep and sizes large, likely a can or can lid especially if its a high tone.

A disc VLF is IMO the best beach decision. Skip the iron and shallow bottle caps and check the rest. Swapping machines or trying to make a decision/best guess as to which machine to take that day will give you the mumbles every time. With a waterproof multi freq disc.....you can hunt the entire beach NP. There will be trade offs no matter the machine.

Dew

George - It was filling too fast. I tried as fast as I could, but nope...

PastorTom & Liquidshredder - I know the TPro has it's limitations in wet sand, so I'm not going there until I have progressed enough to consider it. I got this machine because a) I expect(ed) to also to hit parks, so I wanted something that can discriminate, and b) it was the right price at a pawn shop, and is still under warranty. If I find I'm only hitting the beach, and I find myself enjoying this new hobby, then I'll move to something more appropriate (Excal?) for wet salt. The idea of digging everything with a PI machine was not appealing, and I think too many tabs/junk would cause me frustration and diminish the appeal of MD'ing.

The signal last night was definitely repeatable from all angles, and that's why I tried to find it. If the weather holds up tonight, I may go after it again.

I was pretty far from the water, although the beaches here are short, and I wasn't expecting to hit water so relatively shallow. I did notice that I'm learning what is a good target vs junk, but I still dug up a couple of bobby-pins.

The only other thing I noticed that was bugging me, and this may be inherent to the TPro, is that if I hit the sand (dry) during a swing, it would give a high tone signal. It also gives a signal if I stop swinging and just place the coil on the ground. Otherwise, at this point, I'm enjoying the machine and the hunt.
Yeah if your hitting parks too the at pro is a good machine. I know someone that found a diamond ring with the at pro at the beach . So your fine with that machine

Back
Top Bottom