White's V3i Master Reset

yrekadude

Elite Member
Hey there,

Just thought I would share my experience with the "Master Reset" which is a hidden function on the White's Spectra V3i metal detector.

I bought a used V3i a few weeks back and it didn't seem as stable as a previous VX3 that I had owned. I searched online and I found reference to a Master Reset option that is available on the V3i. I read that it's not available on the VX3 and I am unsure if it's on the V3. :?:

Instructions had been posted on the White's Electronic's forum but then removed, I hear because some people had gone into the calibration menu and "Bricked" their machines.. which is actually kind of how it sounds.. your metal detector is now a paper weight until you send it back to White's to get fixed.

I asked one of the White's forum mods if it was safe to do the master reset and I was told yes but why would I want to? :?:

I've heard lots of stories that people had machines that were a little twitchy and not very stable and after a Master Reset their machine was rock solid and I wanted to give it a try. :p

Most important things to know when doing it are:

• Stay away from the calibration menu!
  • Leve the "Password" box unchecked (do not reset it)

Without telling you how to do it.. I'll say that I did it myself last night and I was surprised how easy it was considering all the Brouhaha surrounding the procedure.

I was also very pleasantly surprised when I turned the machine back on, testing my detector using a few test targets and it was working VERY stable and the VDI and tones seemed more clear and stable. I'm glad I did it and I can't wait to go out hunting this weekend.

Here are the instructions, I am not responsible if anything happens!! It worked for me and it has for many others too... I have to warn you this is risky because the menu says dangerous... but it's pretty much the same risk as doing a firmware update on any device. Think about it and decide for yourself.

Instructions: :shock:

Important: Use Fully charged battery to avoid problems during reset

1. Turn on your Spectra V3i
  2. Press and hold both Menu and Power buttons
  3. You should now see the Utility Menu (release menu and power)
  4. Make sure you select Master Reset
  5. !! DO NOT SELECT CALIBRATION !!
  6. Press Enter on Master Reset option
  7. You are now in the "Master Reset - Dangerous" Menu
  8. Use ENTER to Toggle all options EXCEPT "require password"
  9. Press Menu to highlight reset button, then press Enter
  10. Wait about 5 seconds for the reset to happen
  11. You will again see the first Utility Menu screen
  12. Turn off your V3i, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on
  13. Your V3i is now reset to Factory settings and ready to go!

Pictures: (I got these off the internet but will update with better ones after I do this again to get pictures.

picture.php

Hope this helps a few V3i users out - it's already out there but I tried to put it in an easier to read format.

Let me know how it works out for you. It may just be Placebo effect, but I think my V3i is working much better! :yes:

Forget I ever said anything if something goes wrong.. :sneaking:

Sounds scary...

I heard you can just pull out the batteries with the machine running, wait a minute, then reinstall battery and turn on. Supposedly it recalibrates the machine. Never done it though.

I wonder if you have a V3 upgraded to V3i if the master reset brings you back to a V3...

Sounds scary...

I heard you can just pull out the batteries with the machine running, wait a minute, then reinstall battery and turn on. Supposedly it recalibrates the machine. Never done it though.

I wonder if you have a V3 upgraded to V3i if the master reset brings you back to a V3...

Not the same as the master reset. When the V3i gets "runaway" chattering no matter the changes you make besides disconnecting the coil cable, a MR clears a lot up unstantly. I had a V3i returned from Whites certified "ok" and after about 30 minutes out in my yard, it went wonky like this. I called Whites and they walked me through the MR procedure and it fixed it instantly. Sometimes...you just gotta do what you gotta do.

I wouldn't do a MR on an upgraded V3. Those are most likely the majority of the bricked machines using the MR.

Thanks for posting. I'm not gonna try it unless I have to. I tried modifying my password on a forum once and all I did was block myself:lol:

Thanks for posting. I'm not gonna try it unless I have to. I tried modifying my password on a forum once and all I did was block myself:lol:

"I'm not gonna try it unless I have to."

That's a good answer in a lot of ways. If it comes down to having to mail off the V3i for service anyway I figure..."It can't hurt a darned thing."

The White's dealer whom I got the original "demo" V3i from made it a point to tell me that it already had the MR done on it. That was back when White's posted the procedure on their discussion site. In reality...the MR procedure is almost fool proof if you just remember NOT to enter the calibration and the password box, at least with a genuine V3i, not an upgraded V3.

Odd thing was that when the service people on the phone that day gave me the walk-thru of the MR, they didn't stress the calibration & password items. I had already researched it myself, but if the MR is so volatile, you would think the service personnel would be the first to shout those scary points out loud. Just sayin...

Do NOT take me wrong about the calibration and password issue. It is important, which is why my contact with Whites that day hardly mentioning it threw me off a little.

Hey there,

Just thought I would share my experience with the "Master Reset" which is a hidden function on the White's Spectra V3i metal detector.

I bought a used V3i a few weeks back and it didn't seem as stable as a previous VX3 that I had owned. I searched online and I found reference to a Master Reset option that is available on the V3i. I read that it's not available on the VX3 and I am unsure if it's on the V3. :?:

Instructions had been posted on the White's Electronic's forum but then removed, I hear because some people had gone into the calibration menu and "Bricked" their machines.. which is actually kind of how it sounds.. your metal detector is now a paper weight until you send it back to White's to get fixed.

I asked one of the White's forum mods if it was safe to do the master reset and I was told yes but why would I want to? :?:

I've heard lots of stories that people had machines that were a little twitchy and not very stable and after a Master Reset their machine was rock solid and I wanted to give it a try.[emoji14]
Most important things to know when doing it are:

• Stay away from the calibration menu!
  • Leve the "Password" box unchecked (do not reset it)

Without telling you how to do it.. I'll say that I did it myself last night and I was surprised how easy it was considering all the Brouhaha surrounding the procedure.

I was also very pleasantly surprised when I turned the machine back on, testing my detector using a few test targets and it was working VERY stable and the VDI and tones seemed more clear and stable. I'm glad I did it and I can't wait to go out hunting this weekend.

Here are the instructions, I am not responsible if anything happens!! It worked for me and it has for many others too... I have to warn you this is risky because the menu says dangerous... but it's pretty much the same risk as doing a firmware update on any device. Think about it and decide for yourself.

Instructions: :shock:

Important: Use Fully charged battery to avoid problems during reset

1. Turn on your Spectra V3i
  2. Press and hold both Menu and Power buttons
  3. You should now see the Utility Menu (release menu and power)
  4. Make sure you select Master Reset
  5. !! DO NOT SELECT CALIBRATION !!
  6. Press Enter on Master Reset option
  7. You are now in the "Master Reset - Dangerous" Menu
  8. Use ENTER to Toggle all options EXCEPT "require password"
  9. Press Menu to highlight reset button, then press Enter
  10. Wait about 5 seconds for the reset to happen
  11. You will again see the first Utility Menu screen
  12. Turn off your V3i, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on
  13. Your V3i is now reset to Factory settings and ready to go!

Pictures: (I got these off the internet but will update with better ones after I do this again to get pictures.

picture.php

Hope this helps a few V3i users out - it's already out there but I tried to put it in an easier to read format.

Let me know how it works out for you. It may just be Placebo effect, but I think my V3i is working much better! :yes:

Forget I ever said anything if something goes wrong.. :sneaking:
This doesn't work on mine, can't even get the menu to open, tried several times doing the steps.....nothing. .turn on, hold power and menu....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This doesn't work on mine, can't even get the menu to open, tried several times doing the steps.....nothing. .turn on, hold power and menu....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Press and hold the menu button first right after power on, then hit the power button.

I did the Master Reset a couple of months back. Wanted to get everything back to factory settings. Very easy steps to follow!

V3i reset

Hi thanks for this post. Got my V3i used and most of the loaded programs were missing. Did the reset and all restored with no issues.
:cool:

it also works just fine on v3 upgraded to v3i. In fact, I think it's only available on v3i software anyway. Certainly a great asset on a used machine and starting over.

I always recommend resetting any detector, especially the V3i when you purchase used. This way you start back at factory settings and not with programs and settings adjusted for other regions of the country, or by people who may not have known what they were doing.

Just did a master reset on mine. I think I should have done it right out of the box as I detested using the V3i but thought it was just me trying to learn the nuances of it. When it started 'showing' anything and everything in the iron range (I never changed any settings) it was time to give up. Did the master reset and instantly got a dime hit which turned out to be a bottle cap (expected with a DD coil). Then a quarter hit 5'' down which was indeed a quarter (alas a clad quarter).

Will have to give it more of a workout later in the week and finally hope the thing actually works like it should.

Back
Top Bottom