New here...where's the good stuff?

Foragist

Forum Supporter
I like finding "the good stuff" with my old White's Spectrum. I have a Bullseye coil, but never use it. Should I? Why?
Anyway, I came here initially for ID help on a very unusual find...I'll post that in the help me ID forum.
Love reading these forums, people! Keep it up!

Welcome from Oklahoma.

If a bulls eye coil is a little bitty coil, then you might want to use it in trashy sites to cut through some of the junk signals. The general theory is the smaller the coil, the less targets are beneath it at any given time, so you have a better chance at a signal on some of that "good stuff" you like finding. :grin:

I like finding "the good stuff" with my old White's Spectrum. I have a Bullseye coil, but never use it. Should I? Why?
Anyway, I came here initially for ID help on a very unusual find...I'll post that in the help me ID forum.
Love reading these forums, people! Keep it up!

Bullseye coil is a sniper coil. Basically, unlike a large coil that will "catch" multiple targets within the coil's shadow, the Bullseye coil allows you to target a very small isolated area. This makes it EXCELLENT for trashy areas so you can separate the targets.

As an example, my 14.5" coil may catch 5 targets under the coil at the same time in a trashy park. That makes it really hard to determine what is under the coil (and if it's worth digging). Your BUllseye coil, however, would catch each target separately, allowing you to "Find" the silver ring in all that aluminum trash. Also, target ID is usually better, in a small coil, because the processing unit of the main rig, isn't working to take a lot of data and figure out what it means (that's over-simplified, but it all comes down to "sniper coils can be very accurate.")

Sniper coils definitely have their place.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers!

Skippy

Theres that old whites commercial again ,.....the guy said he got a whites detector and was out finding " the good stuff " on his first day ! :laughing:

The good stuff is .......where you find it

You find the good stuff in the library. Find old maps. They give the best clues. Look for "groves" as these were early parks. Find locations of old schools and churches. Use Earth Google "historical Imagery" function (clock icon up top). Read books on local history. Read old newspapers on microfish. Then go out detecting.

"Wheres the good stuff"?

Well its not been under my coil in quite a while now...
today I got $0.32 and 2 pockets full of stabby things.... I really need to get a pouch or something to carry trash!

Thanks all, for the welcomes. Wow! People from all over the country, and then some! Great site. Thanks for the input on the bullseye coil. I never thought about the more accurate readings. Good info.

Any stuff is good stuff!
You get out in the fresh air,nothing better!
I don't care if I find trash or treasure really these day.
Kinda like when I'd go fishing and not bother to bait the hook,catching them was sometimes just too much work ;)
Welcome from Northern Illinois!

Back
Top Bottom