Forest fires help find bottles

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Next time there's a forest fire or prescribed burn, search the burn area for bottles. Anything and everything that's concealed by vegitation is laid bare for all to see (and find!). Yes, many bottles will not survive the heat, but many do, including the thicker ones like Cokes. The turtle survived the burn. a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

some nice bottles, nothing to old huh? glas the turtle made it.

Congrats on the bottles! I wonder if those stairs were visible before the fire? When we get prairie fires around here, it exposes old teepee rings.

He was in the fringe area where the fire didn't spread to, I teased him a little, he's fine. (maybe a little hungry though!). :lol: I did see another one that didn't make it; not a pleasant thing to see.

Poor bastard:no:Hell of a way to go

Those fires break some old bottles too.:(:no::crybaby:

Yeah they sure do. I once saw a rare killer embossed slug plate quart milk that was cracked 3 ways from the fire. I had walked past it a few times before the burn but due to all the weeds and growth I never saw it. Ouch!!!

But I'd rather sacrifice a few cracked bottles to find all the other unscathed ones.

GLASSHOPPER1955,how old is the pespi bottle? i just found one just like it.

I love old pop bottles, they remind me of my childhood. My dad would buy pop by the wood crate down at the Derby gas station. My brother and I were allowed one bottle per day, only. When they were all empty, Dad would take the empty bottles in the wood crate back to the gas station and get another. All returnable bottles, of course.
serveimage

During the summer the local Coca-Cola bottler would sponsor matinee movies at the theater for the kids. Bring in something like 10 Coke bottle caps and you get into the movie free. We used to dig the bottle caps out of the pop machines! :laughing: Man, those were the days! :D Short on cash? Need to buy a new baseball to replace the Old Man's Babe Ruth signature ball? Scrounge pop bottles and cash 'em in at the supermarket! :yes:

Crackerjack, I hear ya. As kids that was an easy way to get some quick coin for candy, pop or small toys. 2 cents each is what we got.

There were lots of ways for kids to get money for stuff in those days. Remember these?

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 506
Crackerjack, I hear ya. As kids that was an easy way to get some quick coin for candy, pop or small toys. 2 cents each is what we got.

There were lots of ways for kids to get money for stuff in those days. Remember these?

I have no memory of that, it could have been "before my time". RC Cola was not big in my area, that I remember, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know if to this day, whether I have ever had an RC Cola! Is it still bottled?

I have no memory of that, it could have been "before my time". RC Cola was not big in my area, that I remember, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know if to this day, whether I have ever had an RC Cola! Is it still bottled?
My Grandfather had worked for RC Cola... He used to build those old concrete and wood park/bus stop benches in and around Knoxville

I haven't seen a glass bottle of RC in probably 40 years(used to love that stuff). I do occasionally see it in cans in certain locations, they're darker blue with a white oval in center with a stylised red RC in the oval.

Can still get glass bottled Pepsi, Coke, both small and large bottles in some quick stores and grocery stores around here. Also my childhood favorite, glass bottled Sun-Drop, which many on here have never herd of. Bottled by Pepsi-Cola, or at least used to be.

Ment Coke in small and large, Pepsi only one size.

Don

Back
Top Bottom