Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 05-02-2018, 08:46 PM
Elite Member

Default Can a coil be converted to a different detector?

For instance, would it be at all possible to convert a clean sweep coil to work on an AT Pro? I'm sure frequency would matter, but if the frequency matched and you could get the correct pinouts, could you make a conversion plug?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
For instance, would it be at all possible to convert a clean sweep coil to work on an AT Pro? I'm sure frequency would matter, but if the frequency matched and you could get the correct pinouts, could you make a conversion plug?
I've worked with restoring a few detectors (Minelab explorer, Fisher CZ, Garrett Sea Hunter, DetectorPro Diver, DetectorPro Pulse, and Whites Surf PI) and found the coils are specifically engineered for a specific machine. When trying to retrofit a different make coil, I found some would not function at all, and some would work with anomalies. For example: One unit became hyper sensitive to EMI. Another would work, but only at 50% of the sensitivity and depth.

Ironically, there are detector kits that let you make your own coil. You can make them as big or as small as you desire. But again, I "think" this is because of the way they engineered the control module.

For serious tech info, probably your best bet is to post on http://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php

Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

thanks...I'll check out that link. I figured that if it was something even remotely simple it would be readily available....