Metal Detecting Lingo Glossary

Very good idea posing this list. :!: It can be frustrating reading posts with jargon not understood :?:
How about IH for Indian Head penny.

Can't MD in city parks either. Good thing I live out in the country where all the small "old" towns are.... (I just work in Austin)

I am glad to learn these slang terms. Also would like to know where to go to look in Texas since can not do state or federal parks. Moving to Austin next month.

And zinnies and zpennies.
I haven't seen any canslaw, but rusty shreds of old metal roofing carpet most of the older sites I've been hitting. Makes you long for a pulltab or nail, after awhile.

So what would rusty roofing shreds be called?

Attachments

• DSC00002e.jpg
    DSC00002e.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 3,348
where's tab? I know someone has found one besides me! HH Rick Or is it I'm the only one finding them, and that's why there are so many.

Although I hav'nt seen it mentioned in my travels through our forums as yet, you might want to add "BFO-Beat-frequency Oscillation" to the list, as it is one of the three types of MD's, i.e. VLF, PI and BFO.
Actually, the three common operating principles are BFO (Beat Frequency Oscillation), TR (Transmit/Receive) and PI (Pulse Induction). VLF is simply a frequency range in which some TR's are designed to operate. Not all, but most of the models operating in this range are called "VLF", and the term VLF was used to reference those models with the capability to adjust to cancel out, or ignore, the ground mineral signal.

In the glossary above, the VLF should be changed to describe "Very-Low Frequency .. "Generally, a ground cancelling mode of operation."

Monte

UFO and Leaveitright

UFO - Unidentified Ferrous Object

Leaveitright - A very large buried junk target, as in leave it right there.

I love the term thingy, There not too many items I dig up that I can't id but when it happens they are thingy's, thingies, thing-gi. I am the only one who gets those dead on repeatable signals that turn to crap after I dig the plug? What do you call them?

Here's one that started going around last summer... "bling, bling" or "blingy."

Anybody want to define that? Is it a special kind of junk jewelry?

"tot"

I keep seeing "tot" used in the different forums. I'm sure you can tell how new I am, but I'm going to ask it anyway.....WHAT does it stand for? All I could think of was "type of turf"!:roll:

Back
Top Bottom