First Homeless Person Experience

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
Because my usual hunting grounds don't tend to have homeless people mulling about, I have yet to experience a homeless person while detecting. That changed yesterday.

There was an outdoor concert over the weekend so I decided to sweep the grounds and see if I could find any good drops. Other than a guitar pick thrown from the stage, not much, some change and a ton of twist tops.

As I was mulling around, and keep in mind that this is a very new complex that has a good bit of green space and a theater, this guy starts walking up to me. I'm guessing I am a good 200 yards from the sidewalk. He gives me the normal speech and I decide to give him my change. He walked across the street and probably 500 yards total to hit me up. Pretty determined guy.

BCD

Last edited:
The Migration South generally starts around mid Sept, to the Winter camps, along with the geese and the butterflies and Hummingbirds, but its been nice up here until about now...The Homeless are the last of the free roaming Subsistence Hunters...Its good to pay attention and study their situation...Either to avoid or participate in... We are all just one disaster away from participation...

The Migration South generally starts around mid Sept, to the Winter camps, along with the geese and the butterflies and Hummingbirds, but its been nice up here until about now...The Homeless are the last of the free roaming Subsistence Hunters...Its good to pay attention and study their situation...Either to avoid or participate in... We are all just one disaster away from participation...

" one disaster away " . So true. I'm really starting to believe that it will be during my lifetime.

I had a guy hit me up one time while in the Drive thru lane at Wendy's looking for $5 to get food. I offered to buy him the meal of his choice from Wendy's but he wanted "$5 for Little Caesars instead" and refused my offer to get him a meal. Never gave him the $5, had a hunch that wasn't going for pizza.

I had a guy hit me up one time while in the Drive thru lane at Wendy's looking for $5 to get food. I offered to buy him the meal of his choice from Wendy's but he wanted "$5 for Little Caesars instead" and refused my offer to get him a meal. Never gave him the $5, had a hunch that wasn't going for pizza.
You did the right thing. I have had people hit me up for money. They never look like they have missed a meal. I live in a small town and there are help wanted signs everywhere. Some of these signs never come down. My wife has a relative that has managed Cracker Barrels for 49 years and he tells us he is always short at least 20 to 25 employees.

Unfortunately, this happens to me quite a bit, never while detecting though. There is a HUGE drug problem in this area and I can't help but think that's what the money goes to. So, usually I wont give anything. Usually, you can see the evidence of drug use in the people that ask. On a side note, several years ago I had a guy ask for $5.00 to go to the strip club that was across the street and get a cold beer. I admired his honesty and gave him the money and watched him make his way to the club.

There's a big drug problem in this area, mainly the liquor stores. I avoid these parts of town, because of the homeless and the shootings that occasionally happen outside of them.

I never give money. In the really rough parks I sometimes will give a cigarette. I talk to them. I have had some interesting conversations, some that were scary,most caused me to lose faith in our mental health system.

I've had times I'd offer to buy food instead of giving cash and they'd walk away effective admitting they were not really hungry. I did have one time a long time ago while driving down a city street that I saw a man in raggy clothes looking thru garbage cans near fast food places, didn't see him asking anyone for money so I quickly went and got a sub sandwich, drove by where the man was at and asked if he could help me out by taking this sub off my hands I didn't need, he was happy to do so, that was someone who was actually hungry and I was glad to help.

Different places

5 years ago we moved to southern Louisiana from Tucson ( 1 million pop). At Tucson for 65 years and got hit up for money every week. But down here in the deep south I have yet to be approached for money. Go figure, Steve in so la

5 years ago we moved to southern Louisiana from Tucson ( 1 million pop). At Tucson for 65 years and got hit up for money every week. But down here in the deep south I have yet to be approached for money. Go figure, Steve in so la

I lived in Athens Ga. for several years and there were a good bit of panhandlers around downtown. They would come up, tap your pockets listening for change then ask. Pretty annoying.

BCD

I pack a few gatorades in a cooler, since I work outside. Usually I'll have a spare one left at the end of the day, so I hand them that. Every day I see at least 10 panhandlers, usually the same ones year after year. But whatcha going to do? The ones who are lying, make it harder for the honest ones who really need it. Had one hit me up this morning on the way out of the donut store, had new nikes on and was playing on his cell phone. :roll:

Some will try to get you involved into a 5 minute spiel, I just keep walking as I've heard them all before about 500 times now.

The homeless are everywhere up here in Washington. I used to get asked for money or cigarettes a lot when I first started detecting. When I tell them I haven't smoked since the 80's and offer them a few dirty pennies, they go away fast. Easier prey elsewhere apparently. :grin:

This has worked great, no one's hit me up for money in months! :mder:

I did have one time a long time ago while driving down a city street that I saw a man in raggy clothes looking thru garbage cans near fast food places, didn't see him asking anyone for money so I quickly went and got a sub sandwich, drove by where the man was at and asked if he could help me out by taking this sub off my hands I didn't need, he was happy to do so, that was someone who was actually hungry and I was glad to help.

Thank you.

They are thick as fleas here in Washington. If you give them anything, it never stops. If they come toward me, I hold my Leschi in my hand, stake my head side to side and they get the message long before they get close. Unfortunately some could use a hand out but the majority have ruined it for the true needy. Too many alcoholics and junkies, Im at the point I don't really care anymore. I'm hardened to it. No work no eat.

I lived in Athens Ga. for several years and there were a good bit of panhandlers around downtown. They would come up, tap your pockets listening for change then ask. Pretty annoying.

BCD

Tap your pockets? Talk about aggressive panhandling. I think if someone tapped my pockets looking for money and I was in a foul mood they very well may find themselves being tapped in the face in a not so gentle manner.

There's plenty of homeless guys here in Lexington and plenty of panhandlers (not always homeless) but no one's ever hit me up for money while detecting. On the other hand, I was detecting around an old community college campus this past weekend and ended up having a nice chat with a couple of homeless guys who were passing through. They were actually pretty knowledgeable about the history of the buildings and one told me something to the effect that "the metal detector guys usually go to that area over there around the trees where you were just at". Which pretty much explains why I didn't find anything over there!
So bottom line, be careful with strangers but keep an open mind too!

I have had a few con artists saying they lost their wallets , but just ignore their lies. I just hate con artists. My friend had some con artist drop a fake gold coin near there mark and try to give it away for some cash.

I’m a truck driver and about ten years ago when I was a fuel tanker driver I was at a Detroit gas station delivering gas when I had a guy walk up to me begging for change. I could tell he was homeless so I asked him what he was going to do with the change if I gave it to him. He replied “it’s hot sir, all I want is a cold beer”. I figured that was the most honest answer he could’ve given me so I told him to follow me in the station and I bought him a 40 ouncer. He was very appreciative.

Back
Top Bottom