Magnet fishing

Question about the rope you use. What size yellow nylon rope and what is the weight rating? I bought paracord rated at 550lbs but not sure I believe or trust that rating (Paracord Planet Mil-Spec Commercial Grade 550lb Type III Nylon). I have this magnet: CMS Magnetics® 249 LB Super Power Neodymium Cup Magnet.

Have used it a couple times and will add the plastic bottle part for snag resistance.

Thanks.

3/8 215 lb, braided poly. The para cord was very small in diameter for its strength and difficult to grip plus it holds moisture a long time and will mold.

I picked up this hobby just a couple of weeks ago when I sprained my knee (rope swing in an obstacle race :facepalm: ) and had to set my detector aside for a while.

I've only picked up tackle, some pipe, and nails so far, but I'm hopeful!

Great weather now and I managed to get out and drown a magnet with very good results as far as a return for my efforts.

Back home and:

We had a very successful day at the docks and headed home. It is time to do a little clean up. I use the braided nylon rope so it does not take on moisture it still holds a bit of water that needs to be hung out for a while to dry. Next comes the attention to the business end of the setup, the magnets. I used my back to back setup with the whiskers and even though I rinsed them off prior to leaving the hunting site I could see that there was still a lot of material stuck on and behind the magnets. Good shop grade paper towels worked well for the most part but that little fine magnetic dust just seems to want you to chase it all over the face of the magnets. Some one said use short strips of duc tape for this clean up. Well that worked but then I had adhesive residue from the tape to deal with. I then went to the wide blue masking tape and wow what a tool. The powder stuck to the tape and no residue. Hope this helps with your maintenance A little bit more on the clean up procedure. I also make use of those fiber pads and a plastic spoon. The fiver pads work wonderful on some of the tough spots but the plastic spoon can scrape off even the very tough things that resemble tar spots. Then I also found that my old air compressor and a blast of air with my push button nozzle took away about most of the time that I had been using during my previous method. Final with blue masking tape and again like new. A bit of liquid car wax applied as a protective coating and you are ready to go. Some use WD 40 also for this. The magnets are back shining and the rope is dry. All wrapped up and in the bucket for the next trip.

Seems to be very little or no interest in magnet fishing on this forum.

I like the whole idea of magnet fishing, and I've seen people find some pretty cool things, but I don't have any places near me that could yield something interesting. I could go down to the nearby marinas and jetty's, but I'm not really interested in collecting rusty nails, fishing hooks, knives, pliers, scissors etc. (Unless of course I start a scrap metal business!:lol:)

been magnet fishing for a year

Seems to be very little or no interest in magnet fishing on this forum.

Finding knives over docks is my main interest. In the past few hunts I have 4 rods and reels. You have to get them by the reel as most stainless parts won't attract a magnet. One rod I recovered was by the magnet picking up a treble hook attached to a rattle trap. The lure was attached to line which led to a rod and reel.:laughing:

I picked up a fairly new lawn chair that must have been the drowning victim of the wind.

Lots of hooks, beer caps, a cheap charm bracelet, a small folding canoe anchor, a 5 lb dumbell???. railroad spike, Wichita Mike and I picked 5 knives from just one fishing pier. We have dozens of county built docks at most boat ramps.

So, there is interest within this hobby. It's just one people don't talk about.

Wow, I am impressed, great news, maybe we can get the forum wranglers to give us our own forum. This thread is getting stretched a bit.

We find Knives, multi tools, pliers, scissors, cell phones, Flashlights, folding chairs, all the fishing related items including some high dollar reels. Many times I have hoked a line and pulled it in and got the lure and kept on bringing in the line and there would be a reel and pole on the other end also.
WE have also found two safes (empty) a bicycle, lawn mower, weed eater, bungee cords by the dozens.
Like the old 49rs in California use to say, it is not getting the gold but the process of finding it that is the excitement.

You are horrible. LOL

It would be nice if I had U Tube talent like that, the best I can do is just handle the magnet and if you threw a camera in on me I am sure we would have a couple more targets to fish out of the pond.:yes:

Ok you magnet fishermen, I know this is prime time for us but take a little time and come by here and tell us a couple of your tales.

And in Canada...

On a related note, try the magnet fishing in Canada, where the coins (except earlier silver ones and copper cents) are mostly steel and will stick to a magnet. If it's a recent loss, they won't be in too bad a shape. Loonies & Toonies will add up quickly. I've thought of taking a roofer's nail-cleanup magnet with me to Canada on one of our annual trips there to drag over the grassy areas where people sit to watch the fireworks shows or at a beach.

I have watched many videos of England and they also have the coinage that is magnetic. If they did that here then you would see magnet anglers and detectorists arm and arm on the beach. They have a thing they call mud larking where they take a good Neodymium magnet and put it on a mop handle and probe the close areas and streams.

I have watched many videos of England and they also have the coinage that is magnetic. If they did that here then you would see magnet anglers and detectorists arm and arm on the beach. They have a thing they call mud larking where they take a good Neodymium magnet and put it on a mop handle and probe the close areas and streams.

All Canadian coins are now magnetic. I was thinking of making a bar full of magnets I could pull at the very popular swim beaches and clean up.

Probably some Canadians are already doing it. Loonies and Toonies would be awesome to snag.

Has anyone tried this from a kayak? I live on the waterway and have my fishing kayak and am wondering how strong of a magnet I should try?

Take some dog food and push some steel shot into it and feed the catfish. When the fish are well fed, throw out a strong magnet and the fish will stick to the magnet. Now that is how you magnet fish..

Back
Top Bottom