Best metal detector under 170usd?

Tio

Hi, I am from Spain, I am new here :D
10 years ago I was playing with a mine detector with pulse detection. This detector reached a depth of 50 cm (20 inches) but I just found out trash, so I sold the detector to a professional searcher who used it along with other standard detectors and I left this hobby. Now, I want to try this hobby again but with a more modest detector for me to focus on accuracy, and get precious metal objects, avoiding all the junk

What is the best detector (quality-price relation) under 180usd, this is my budget.

I have seen this detectors:

Bounty Hunter Gold Digger = 65 usd
Bounty Hunter VLF = 82 usd
Bounty Hunter Tracker = 120 usd
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker = 120 usd
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw + Pinpointer + Bag = 170 usd
Tesoro Compadre = 160 usd
Garret Ace 150 = 150 usd

What is the best detector under 180 usd?
Thanks.

I believe the consensus will be the Tesoro Compadre.

The Compadre is known as the tot lot (playground) king for finding jewelry. It has a higher kHz (better for gold), is very well built and has a lifetime warranty......hard to beat.

Dusty

I'd save up a few more clads and buy a Tek Alpha2000. For $200 with free shipping there hard to beat and very deep for a $200 machine.
Good luck with your choice! :) HH, Woodstock

I have a Tesoro Vaquero and an older model Compadre.. I take the Compadre out more than the Vaquero..Those Compadres are about the best all round machine out there for the money.:)

I would save for the Ace 250 if you can and roll with that....if not ...hit up the 150 and kill it out there....and Tomas El Dinero.....LOL.....Feliz Dinero....:)

Given your original list.....

I would get the Tesoro. On the other hand I would surely save a few more $$ and see what you can come up with for a final choice. It is never a poor choice to hang on to your $$ and weigh your options.
Be patient. You can afford to hold out for a week or two can't you ? Check our classifieds as well.
Good luck !
Marty

I used one of those other slow response detectors..After using Fishers, and Tesoros all my life(actually better than twice the non detecting years) Could not pin point worth a darn..Had the machine been mine, I'd have set a world's record for the metal locator throw.. there may be deeper, and more advanced units than the beep and dig Tesoros, but I can't get used to them...Have my favorite T's, and one or two that I would never buy..

Spend a few more dollars and get an F2 and by a few more dollars I literally mean like 10 dollars or 15 dollars more i'm sure one of the dealers on here could give you an f2. The problem I have with the Compadre is while it is good to learn tones and not rely on visual ID the Compadre is single tone so basically you have no idea what the target is, not even a guess. I could be wrong but I believe it is single tone which on a machine with no type of display what-so-ever would get annoying to me anyway.

Spend a few more dollars and get an F2 and by a few more dollars I literally mean like 10 dollars or 15 dollars more i'm sure one of the dealers on here could give you an f2. The problem I have with the Compadre is while it is good to learn tones and not rely on visual ID the Compadre is single tone so basically you have no idea what the target is, not even a guess. I could be wrong but I believe it is single tone which on a machine with no type of display what-so-ever would get annoying to me anyway.

Believe me, "how" that single tone is delivered can tell you a lot. Once you learn that tone (how it begins, how it ends, how solid it may be) you will be able to discern whether that target is reliable or not. It's not the exact same tone every single time. The Compadre does have it's own language. :)

Fisher F2 is probably the best bet in my opinion. I don't own one but a friend does and I've used it and his doesn't disappoint. I've not used the entry level Tesoro, but I kinda like to have a display on my detectors and the Fisher has a good one.

The problem with target displays is they are not accurate, and you tend to rely on what they tell you. This will cause you to pass up many good targets in the ground. Having tones is helpful, but not a must have either. I would save my money and buy something better than what you mentioned in your post. You are looking at very low performance detectors and trust me, you will regret buying them. Look at the Tesoro Silver µmax for around 260.00.
It is a great little coin detector with a lifetime warranty. HH

Back
Top Bottom