Might have found a tooth

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Was metal detecting a 20's site and found what I first thought was a bone. Something white which flaked off and everything was dirty so double checked with the pinpointer to make sure it was even metal. It's shiny after being cleaned up. It registers 38-42 on my Minelab 704, in the same range as a dime.

Did the silver test on it where you put the item on a piece of ice and since silver is highly conductive it quickly starts melting the ice.

First photo not real clear but it seems to resemble a tooth. Second photo shows the white substance which seemed like a long tooth root before it chipped off.

Attachments

• DSC00237.JPG
    DSC00237.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC00238.JPG
    DSC00238.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 286
Could be a tooth, to me it looks like corroded aluminum. Ive found a few tokens and thimbles that were aluminum that has the same white crusty look to it. Take a tiny bit of saliva and put it on some aluminum foil. Take the object in question and place it in the saliva and wrap it completely. If you smell rotten eggs or hear some crackling, you may have silver. If there's no reaction, most likely not silver. Keep us posted, HH!

Cellardweller,

Thanks for your very correct observation that this was merely aluminum. With your post I felt more assured that I wouldn't be hurting anything to saw into it. Sawed it in half with a hacksaw and there was no white enamel interior. Ha, I really thought I'd found someone's crown because it looked like a tooth impression on top. But now I see it is just aluminum. I'm too embarrassed and dejected to even post a photo but you get the picture, it's just solid metal with no tooth inside.......

On to the next find!

I'm too embarrassed...

No such thing if you're learning something!

Once, early in the morning when I just started working at an auto shop, we were pulliing out all the cars from tucked inside the garage overnight. Just lining them up and parking them beside each other in the lot to clear out the garages so we could start work. My boss comes out and sees a large puddle of fluid under a car he thought was leaking. Strangest fluid I had ever seen, but I was new so what did I know?

I proceeded to lay down beside the car and stuck my hand under there and "plopped" the fluid a few times with my open palm to get some to stick so I could pull out my hand and see what type was leaking. Well, oil can range from almost a light gold to black, transmission fluid is generally reddish pink to black if filthy...but this fluid was almost white, a little chunky and very thick as it was stringing off my hand.

The other techs and my boss started laughing hysterically as I was holding my hand out to show them. Apparently someone got too drunk and had threw up in the parking lot overnight while the shop was closed and we had parked a car right overtop of it...

Now that is embarrassing...misidentifying a target, don't even sweat it!

Last edited:
Ewww.... if it looks like vomit, smells like vomit, tastes like vomit, must me tranny fluid. :laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom