Troy Detectors

tony48

Elite Member
Does anyone know anything about the Troy Detectors? A couple of people at my local club use them and I was wondering how good they are? They look pretty good to me, they are very rugged and have a lifetime warranty.

Troy Detectors

Ive been using the X3 for a few months now and most recently the X5. both my favorite machines...have not owned a machine that compares in depth,disc and sensitivity to small items. best machines on the market in my opinion.

Ive been using the X3 for a few months now and most recently the X5. both my favorite machines...have not owned a machine that compares in depth,disc and sensitivity to small items. best machines on the market in my opinion.

That's what I thought but I was wondering why they don't market more? They could get alot more profit if they did with that great of a product.

What are the main differences between the X3 and X5?
Is it worth it to get the X5 instead of the X3?
How deep do they go on a coin?
What kind of learning curve do they have?

Thanks for the help, I think I will get one of these as my next detector. I have an XLT now but there are so many good detectors on the market, I just want to buy them all!

The troy line of detectors are no longer made but rumor has it that Troy Galloway is in the process of designing a new line of troy customs. the shadows where put together by fisher{except the X2} but designed by troy. the main difference between the X5 and X3 is the X5 has a GB and beach mode. depth is great but alot comes in to play when you talk about depth...such as ground minerals..how well you have ground balanced and how the coin is laying in the ground. as far as a learning curve there isnt much of one if you understand the basics of any machine the troys are easy to get started with if you go X5 youll need to work on ground balancing and what not but other than that its a pretty straight forward machine. you can still find them used every now and again but expect to pay 400-500 for an X3 and ive seen the X5 go for close to $900 for a mint one but $600-700 would be a good deal on a working X5. I think and X3 would serve you well tho. I really like mine.

Last edited:
the X2 is nothing more than a over priced silver U max..the X2 is kinda like troys redheaded step child:lol:

the X3 and X5 where made by fisher.
the X2 is nothing more than a over priced silver U max, that is only because no one has told Tesoro that the Silver uMax should cost about twice as much as it does, yup it is that good. Steve.

Hope Tesoro isn't listening I don't want to be to blame for a price increase :no:.

the X2 is nothing more than a over priced silver U max, that is only because no one has told Tesoro that the Silver uMax should cost about twice as much as it does, yup it is that good. Steve.

Hope Tesoro isn't listening I don't want to be to blame for a price increase :no:.

OK Steve! You did it ... look for the price increase soon! You're supposed to keep that kind of information quiet you know! :lol::lol::lol:

If the silver U max is "that good" why do you keep buying them then getting rid of them?

I had a phone conversation with Troy about 3 years ago. We discussed the possibilty of me being a warranty repair station for his detectors. I know that the X5 is quite a machine. But things changed and with the sellout of Fisher the contract to get his PCB's made disappeared and Tesoro stopped making the cases for him. This has been a very tough situation for him and I hope he can make a comeback soon. His website still works so maybe he is working on it.

John T.

Thanks for the info on the troys. hopefully they will start making them again. they look like amazing machines.

If the silver U max is "that good" why do you keep buying them then getting rid of them?
Because I want to try every model that Tesoro has made & in order to do so I have to sell the one I have in order to be able to afford a different one. Every Tesoro that I have had is a good one, but the simplicity/efectiveness/etc. keeps me going back to the Silver uMax if I wander out of the Tesoro brand. Example I bought a Garrett Ace twice to see what all the hype is about & to try and like it, it just isn't going to happen so I sell it go back to the Silver - try the F2, like it very good detector but still isn't a Silver uMax. I get emails/pm's very often about the Silver uMax & wanting to try one I end up selling mine to them just so they can try one & it gives me some $$$ to find another older Tesoro. Some people buy/collect cars & other things I would like to collect Tesoro detectors but unfortunatly I can only afford one at a time. For any of you doubting the Silver try one, or ask any member on this forum or any other one that has bought a Silver or other model Tesoro from me how good they are. Happy Holidays! Steve.

I contacted Troy Detectors via email. They told me that they are working hard to get a new detector out and ready soon but they can't confirm when it will be coming out. Hope this helps some people. These machines are truly amazing. I have seen videos on youtube of people digging colonial coppers and such from a foot and a half deep. That is amazing. I know everything on youtube is not to be trusted but it was from a credible source. Has anyone here dug anything that deep with a Troy?

I don't like to say how deep I have dug things as the actual depth of an item I have dug could be clouded by the excitement of the find. but I have dug things with my troys that have been pretty impressive depth wise. just yesterday I got a faint but audible and repeatable signal in a field I have been hunting..It took me 6 scoops with my shovel which is an estimate 15-16" when you take in account that I wasn't digging straight down. The target turned out to be a large copper,most likely a large cent but due to the awful condition of the coin I am unable to determine its true identity. take it for whats it worth but the troys really do amaze me and nothing can convince me there is a better machine on the market for my type of hunting.
I own quit a few machines and over the years I have built a rather large and very thought out test garden,I like to think I have come up with most every variable possible in my "garden" to put any machine to the test. out of all my machine I have 3 that are able to detect most every target I have the best of the 3 is the shadow X5 next is the tesoro tejon and the 3rd is the shadow x3. like I said my garden will test the power of any machine but there are some things I am not able to duplicate that happen in the field such as HEAVY mineralization,electrical interferences and what could happen to a targets composition when said target is in the ground for a very long time...my garden is only about 10yrs old and every year targets I have planted change the way a machine picks it up but it will give you an idea of the power of said machine and is great for learning a machine or at least off setting the learning curve. like I said take it for what it worth...experiences may vary....void where prohibited...only one entry per person and if you live in Rhode Island don't even bother:lol:

I don't like to say how deep I have dug things as the actual depth of an item I have dug could be clouded by the excitement of the find. but I have dug things with my troys that have been pretty impressive depth wise. just yesterday I got a faint but audible and repeatable signal in a field I have been hunting..It took me 6 scoops with my shovel which is an estimate 15-16" when you take in account that I wasn't digging straight down. The target turned out to be a large copper,most likely a large cent but due to the awful condition of the coin I am unable to determine its true identity. take it for whats it worth but the troys really do amaze me and nothing can convince me there is a better machine on the market for my type of hunting.
I own quit a few machines and over the years I have built a rather large and very thought out test garden,I like to think I have come up with most every variable possible in my "garden" to put any machine to the test. out of all my machine I have 3 that are able to detect most every target I have the best of the 3 is the shadow X5 next is the tesoro tejon and the 3rd is the shadow x3. like I said my garden will test the power of any machine but there are some things I am not able to duplicate that happen in the field such as HEAVY mineralization,electrical interferences and what could happen to a targets composition when said target is in the ground for a very long time...my garden is only about 10yrs old and every year targets I have planted change the way a machine picks it up but it will give you an idea of the power of said machine and is great for learning a machine or at least off setting the learning curve. like I said take it for what it worth...experiences may vary....void where prohibited...only one entry per person and if you live in Rhode Island don't even bother:lol:

They Troys sound like amazing machines. I am going to get one soon, maybe I will get one of their next line. I have been using my XLT and I want to get away from the screen. I thought I would never be able to detect without a screen but now I understand more about the sounds of a detector and don't think I need a screen. I am also looking for a bit more depth and being able to pick items in close proximity of iron. I can't wait until the nest line of Troy's comes out!

The XP range killed Troy's sales in Europe and had the advantage in the more expensive models of tone discrimination in the all metal mode. The distributor was at fault for charging to much.

In the U.S. you heard nothing but that Troy was charging to much for a machine without a meter.

The first models were over sensitive for a lot of sites. This was changed later and you could return an early model to be modified. I would rather have the original version !

For relic hunters and on old sites the low range discrimination was not good being very compressed. The only other drawback is that I can dig coke deeper than with almost any other detector.
For the warranty/price I think the Tejon is a better buy but the X3 and X5 have a more even response to all conductivities of metal than the Tesoro.

The troys rather "wide" range of discrimination is really not a big deal over her in the states. but I can see where it would be a major issue across the pond as Im sure alot of them tiny hammered coins fall in the lower ranges of discrimination. but on the other hand small gold coins over here will also be in that range,it wouldnt take much of a turn of the disc knob to knock them out. the troys are priced on the high side and you are correct in saying the tejon might be the better deal for the average relic hunter as the tejon is an amazing machine in its own rite. the differences in the tejon and say the X5 are slight in my opinion but the performance award goes to the X5 for its great stability and crisp audio response to the deepest of targets. I say if you want a low price unit that will preform well in some nasty conditions go with the tejon...but if you want that added stability{which translates to better depth in bad ground} and better response spend the extra money.

I am leanign toward the x5 if they ever have them for sale again or I can find one used. I hunt some really trashy sites so I need a machine that will give crisp audio tones. Hopefully Troy's new detector/detectors will be even better than the x3 and x5

I've been using the X5 since 2003, when Troy came over with Linda and gave me one to test in the UK.
I also had one of the first prototype 10x5coils and now use them exclusively, although they did require a little more shielding for the retail coil.
I have since bought another X5 and use it as a backup.
I had a Tejon but it wasn't a patch on the Shadow and I gave up with it.
I have now bought a F75 to test, but although on some fields it is deeper than the X5 it is nowhere as sensitive to the small gold Celtic coins I hunt.
Depth wise I have dug a Victorian one penny at a measured 14 inches.
I am in regular contact with Troy, but must keep my mouth closed at the moment.

X5

Tony,

Since there are no new Troys made, you would have to get one used. As far as the lifetime warranty, I am not sure if even original owners have one due to Fisher being sold. I don't know if Troy services them himself or not.

I have both a Tejon and an X5 ( along with lots of others...DFX, CZ6a, several water machines). The X5 is one of the best detectors I have. For simple, lightweight and rugged use, it's great. One 9v battery, the ability to run in several modes ( manual GB, Fixed), a coin check option, multiple coils ( the DD on the beach is great), it's a really great unit.

I know there are those who think it's overpriced, but you have to look at the components Troy used. The X5 is weatherproof ( not waterproof ) so you can hunt in the rain or get it really dirty and not worry about it.

It's deep, hits on small, low conductive targets, and is a great gold jewelry finder on the beach.

If you get a chance to get one...get one. And get the X5 if you can since there will be times when you want to manually ground balance the detector and run it in all metal for the really DEEP targets.

JC

Back
Top Bottom