Dumb question re: headphones

Detrivore

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to all this:

Do you have to use special metal-detector headphones? Or can you just use normal stereo headphones? My husband the packrat has several pairs of unused headphones which I could use if they'd serve the purpose.

Some headphones will require a adapter to be used with a metal detector. The ones more commonly used have adjustable volume settings on the headphones which can be nice depending on how loud the detector is and the ambient noise wherever you are detecting. Best bet would be give it a try with the ones you have and then see about getting some others if you dont like those.

Detrivore said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to all this:

Do you have to use special metal-detector headphones? Or can you just use normal stereo headphones? My husband the packrat has several pairs of unused headphones which I could use if they'd serve the purpose.
Not sure of the specs on the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, but with the ACE you'll go deaf if you don't have a volume control for the headphones. If you do need an adapter for the plug just pick one up at Radio Shack, etc.

I use an extremely cheap set of normal stereo headphones with my BH Tracker IV. They work great, and I don't have to worry too much about breaking them. I never felt the need for volume control.

Good luck!

Thanks, everybody!

I'll check to see if any of the regular headphones work before I buy special ones.

The only draw back I have found with standard stereo headphones is they have small ear cups and do not block out the background noise very well, this is important when listening for those faint signals.
A coiled cord is also a plus, seems the straight cord is always in the way. The stereo to mono adapter seems to stick out like a sore thumb, the right angle connector is much better.
Give what you have a shot, if it doesn't work out nothing ventured nothing gained.

DirtDigger

Back
Top Bottom