Switching out coils fast AT Pro

Dflan83

Elite Member
Hey guys,
I have two coils for my AT pro the 5X8 and the stock coil. I find that I tend to interchange coils a lot and I get worried that I may mess up the connection someday. I keep the small black cap on the connections when the coil is not in use and in general take care of my equipment.

Is there a way to ensure the connector stays top notch even after water use? Should I be taking the coils off the metal detector completely when not in use? Finally, is there a way to switch out coils fast?

Hey guys,
I have two coils for my AT pro the 5X8 and the stock coil. I find that I tend to interchange coils a lot and I get worried that I may mess up the connection someday. I keep the small black cap on the connections when the coil is not in use and in general take care of my equipment.

Is there a way to ensure the connector stays top notch even after water use? Should I be taking the coils off the metal detector completely when not in use? Finally, is there a way to switch out coils fast?

get an extra lower rod to switch coils faster.

What he said. I have two lower rods. Just leave the coils attatched to them and slide them out and the other in when ready to change. Then just plug and go.

I have an extra lower rod for each of my extra coils. I tape the coil cable in two places straight up the lower rod to the point where it connects with my upper rod. When I change coils, all I have to do is switch lower rods, wrap the cable on the upper rod and connect. Save time this way !! As far as the connectors go, I haven't had an issue with one yet but I am kinda careful not to twist it alot or put it in any kind of bind when connecting. Not a closeup photo but you can kinda get the idea.

As far as the connectors go , they are probably best left untouched as much as possible. As finicky as those connectors are , switching back and forth often wont be good for them. You may want to consider changing the coils less often

If you don't mind, what advantages/reasons are you finding to be switching so often?

My 5x8 just went south and that's all I ever use, just looking for some hope in the stocker...

<*)))>{

As far as the connectors go , they are probably best left untouched as much as possible. As finicky as those connectors are , switching back and forth often wont be good for them. You may want to consider changing the coils less often

Agree w/this. The connector on the control box on my ATP came out completely. The fix was covered under warranty but still a pain to send in for repair. The coil connection on the ATP is not one of its strongest attributes.

I like to use the bigger stock coil when I'm out looking for CW relics, say in an open field. The 5x8 is used for pretty much everything else, I am just worried I'm loosing a lot of depth so I tend to use the bigger one a lot.

Probably a newbie mistake

I like to use the bigger stock coil when I'm out looking for CW relics, say in an open field. The 5x8 is used for pretty much everything else, I am just worried I'm loosing a lot of depth so I tend to use the bigger one a lot.

Probably a newbie mistake

I see, that makes sense...

No matter how big your coil is, if you are looking for max depth you'll want to overlap your swings a lot!!

<*)))>{

I did a hunt this weekend in an older house and switched from the stock coil to the 5X8. The smaller coil did help me sort through a lot of trash and I didn't seem to notice too much of a depth loss.

I think I will keep that one on awhile and try it out. Thanks for the suggestions

I did a hunt this weekend in an older house and switched from the stock coil to the 5X8. The smaller coil did help me sort through a lot of trash and I didn't seem to notice too much of a depth loss.

I think I will keep that one on awhile and try it out. Thanks for the suggestions

I have every coil made by Garrett available for my AT Pro. I just don't know what an area may be like within a site I'm hunting, just like you are describing. Not taking advantage of the different coils, well.... I don't do relic hunting, and don't do salt water detecting where perhaps there is no need for different coil configurations or sizes. Like most of the detectorists, I hunt parks, schools and fresh water. I love finding gold jewelry and agree with what someone else has said about not giving a rat's rip about opinion of others of how I go about it. I do change coils quite frequently and do trust Garrett quality. I do use dielectric compound on all connections and o rings. What works...works. I'm good with. HH

I have every coil made by Garrett available for my AT Pro. I just don't know what an area may be like within a site I'm hunting, just like you are describing. Not taking advantage of the different coils, well.... I don't do relic hunting, and don't do salt water detecting where perhaps there is no need for different coil configurations or sizes. Like most of the detectorists, I hunt parks, schools and fresh water. I love finding gold jewelry and agree with what someone else has said about not giving a rat's rip about opinion of others of how I go about it. I do change coils quite frequently and do trust Garrett quality. I do use dielectric compound on all connections and o rings. What works...works. I'm good with. HH

Interesting, I may have to try out some of this compound you mentioned. I'm guessing it helps to seal the o-rings correct? Which coil are you using for water hunting?

I'll agree with this as well. I know many people can't afford it but TWO machines is the way I ran all last season. One had my 17" NEL and the other had my 5x8. First ATP I bought I had swapped coils a few times and then took it to the beach. FIRST Dunk and it went nuts. Not sure if water got in the connector or the face plate but Garrett took great care of me. Even tho I got the ATP off ebay 6months used. Its not the lower rod or constantly wasting time un-doing the plastic bolt. Its the rubber o-ring and pins that I worry about when changing coils. Now I have an MXT Pro that I swap coils on without worry as I dont have to worry about dunking it as its NOT a water machine. :)

To change coils faster, the extra lower rod is a good start, but you might also want to couple it with one of these inline waterproof connectors which are a whole lot easier to connect and disconnect than the Garrett connectors at the control box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pins-Asse...089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c83f73829

Cut your coil cable somewhere in the middle and install this style connector. Now you can leave the factory Garrett connector connected at the control box and simply disconnect here. Buy one for each coil and BINGO.

Back
Top Bottom