Pin Pointer Question

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
I am guessing this has been asked somewhere before, but I can't find it and even if I did find it I wouldnt want to "Necro" it. I had a Minelab Pro Find 25 the day it was released, I used it for 2 hunts and liked it but someone demanded it in a detector deal I made so I gave it with the deal and pull the trusty pro pointer back out. My question is as follows.

I have and will probably always have a Garrett Pro Pointer, but I would like a pp that I could use to find deeper targets sometimes. Basically like if I get down to dig a target but then lose it in the motions and instead of having to grab my main detector and headphones, I could just have a secondary pin pointer. The Pro pointer is awesome but doesn't have amazing depth, the pro find had a bit more depth but not large amounts, has the pro find changed much over the years? Or is it still just marginally better on depth? Would I be better with a TRX or pistol probe? Also I've never used the Vulcan, is that any good?

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
Deep dog is TRX.. nothing but maybe a Sunray can compare... at least that is what people who have owned everything under the sun say.. I can tell you it will pick up a coin at 4" of undisturbed dirt in my area of the world. I pin point with my MD, then pin point with the TRX and open a 2x2 hole and for coins at or less than 4" there are right there. The proximity feature (beeps faster and faster the closer you get to the target) will let you know how deep the target is after a few weeks of use. One BAD thing about the TRX is after the main target is recovered, and you stick it back in the hole, a 1/4" long rusty finish nail can drive you nuts as the TRX will pick it up like it was a coin. I would gladly pay $200-$225 for a SMART TRX with VDI and Depth reading display!!
I would not trade the TRX for 2 of any other hand held pinpointer.

Deep dog is TRX.. nothing but maybe a Sunray can compare... at least that is what people who have owned everything under the sun say.. I can tell you it will pick up a coin at 4" of undisturbed dirt in my area of the world. I pin point with my MD, then pin point with the TRX and open a 2x2 hole and for coins at or less than 4" there are right there. The proximity feature (beeps faster and faster the closer you get to the target) will let you know how deep the target is after a few weeks of use. One BAD thing about the TRX is after the main target is recovered, and you stick it back in the hole, a 1/4" long rusty finish nail can drive you nuts as the TRX will pick it up like it was a coin. I would gladly pay $200-$225 for a SMART TRX with VDI and Depth reading display!!
I would not trade the TRX for 2 of any other hand held pinpointer.

Its funny you mentioned that because my hacker space buddies and I were just discussing building something like that. Our drawings were based around a TRX with a 1.5" molded screen that has a swivel on it. I have no idea if our electronics man can get the discrimination right or not. But if it works out at least I know I have at least ONE person interested! :-P

I am just the designer/fabrication guy in the group, I have NO clue on the electronics side of the build so I am just hoping Johnny can do it!

Also as far as the 2x2 plug, that is basically what I am looking to do... I can do it with a small amount of targets with the pro pointer, but yeah, I'd like a deeper option. Thanks for the input.

Rich

Its funny you mentioned that because my hacker space buddies and I were just discussing building something like that. Our drawings were based around a TRX with a 1.5" molded screen that has a swivel on it. I have no idea if our electronics man can get the discrimination right or not. But if it works out at least I know I have at least ONE person interested! :-P

I am just the designer/fabrication guy in the group, I have NO clue on the electronics side of the build so I am just hoping Johnny can do it!

Also as far as the 2x2 plug, that is basically what I am looking to do... I can do it with a small amount of targets with the pro pointer, but yeah, I'd like a deeper option. Thanks for the input.

Rich

My idea for the readout would be to change the screw on battery cap for one with a connector built into the bottom edge of the cap and clamping clip. The cap could be clear to facilitate the simple display.. maybe even a magnifying cover to make it easier to read.. This way it is still just a water proof, you can change the battery without tools as you do now.. only thing that would probably need to be given up is the fast change of the shell... then again with some clever engineering that could mostly be preserved.

The TRX is an absolute beast and well made.. But if all youre looking for is pure depth I still hear the pistol probe is the deepest out there, but depth like that could get annoying cause it doesnt depth indicate like the others, so you cant tell the difference between half an inch or 5

I own all three and can tell you IMHO that the TRX blows both of the others out of the water. I can pinpoint a coin with my detector and if it's within 3-4 inches deep than I can use the tip of the TRX to narrow it down even more thus being able to cut a smaller plug or actually pop it from the ground. The sensitivity will adjust and so if you want it to be about the same as the Garrett then you can have it that way. I choose to leave mine on Sens 3 out of 4 and I am very pleased. I got mine a short time after they came out and I have never had a problem with it. My Propointer is in my trunk awaiting it's 2nd trip to Garrett for an overhaul which I have to do every year or two. The ProFind is brand new and has only been out of the box for testing. I compared it to the TRX and back in the box it went. I will keep it for a backup. I don't think that you would be disappointed with the TRX at all. I love the fact that it is a tip sensitive pinpointer because it's alot more accurate.

With my pin pointers I find the TRX giving me the most depth followed by the Vulcan and next is the Minelab. The Gpp is a distant 4th. Hope this helps.

Right now the TRX has it hands down. Nothing will touch its depth and simplicity.
HH, phil

Also we have them on special!!!

Back
Top Bottom