The Remiller Co Pum-Kin Rouge 1923

GOLDisGOOD

I was around a house from the late 1880's in my neck of the woods and came across this compact intact. I knew it was old right away because nobody hinges these things anymore and it's expensive to emboss the lids like this. So I did my research and it turns out this was manufactured by The Remiller Co. NY. I even found advertisements on google. The one in the image online is not lacquered in black like mine but it is the same kind. A company called the Owl Store used to sell them. Looks like I have another hunting ground to go all metal mode on. Sounds like there is something inside but I'm sure I will not be able to open it without damaging it. Whatever it is it doesn't sound like coin so I doubt it was repurposed... but it is kind of heavy. Tips for opening it please... I'm going to soak it overnight in WD-40 for now. Check it out!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.55.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.55.04 PM.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 5.02.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 5.02.19 PM.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 204
  • pum-kin.jpg
    pum-kin.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 207
Got it open

Inside was what you would expect. A mirror in the lid. A metal ring which probably had an applicator on it once. A metal disk, and remnants of the cake of rouge. It's pink and still smells of perfume (some of it crystallized). Kind of neat. The smell kind of reminds me of my great grandmother. I guess that was a sexy smell back then! :heartylaugh:

Back
Top Bottom