How's your garden doing

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
For those of you that have gardens I was just wondering how well they are doing. My wife and I planted one this summer and it is doing well (weeds are growing well also :mad:), If it keeps raining we might have some things go to waste. Tomatoes (my favorite) aren't pretty looking but they seem to taste extra good this year. Cucumbers are growing like crazy (the only vegetable that I don't like but my wife loves them).

Ours was stunted be the heat waves from earlier this summer. I have a few tomatoes, that have gone straight to rot with all the rain we got in the last few weeks. It's on it's own till fall. Then I'll roto it all under for next year.

Our family garden at my sisters was looking great till the deer found the beans and peas. Everything else had small stuff that needed more time, but then a 20 min. hail storm with marble sized hail tore the doo-doo out of everything and put holes in the squash, eggplant, cukes, and broke the tomato plants. Now we are struggling to salvage the new stuff and getting a few here and there. NOT what we had hoped for. : ( Next year we are adding a fence to keep out the deer, and hope that there's no freak hail storm in July.

I want to get some area prepped for next year. Really want to see if I can grow some veggies.
Crabby patty's are good but a person has to have veggies too :lol:.

Attachments

• crabby.jpg
    crabby.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 197
Gardens pretty much all done. Too much rain. Too much heat. Flood waters. Weeds. Will have to wait till next year I'm afraid.

We have 4 gardens this year.

A lasagna garden (flat sheet composted raised bed) for tomatoes, lettuces, chard, leeks, parsley, up close to the house to use everyday for salads.

A garlic garden, large area, we harvested some 30+ lbs of garlic, selling it if anyone wants some, no pesticides.

A smaller vining garden, melons, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes and nasturtiums.

A large garden with 4 rows of corn (yum), 6 or so kinds of tomatoes, 4 kinds of peppers, eggplant, turnips, sweet peas, kohlerabi, beets, collards, maybe more things I've since forgotten.

It's SO nice to have veggies to eat all summer long, plus the asparagus, highbush cranberries, herbs and chives in pots, apples, and pears.

Go gardeners! Jill

Our family garden at my sisters was looking great till the deer found the beans and peas. Everything else had small stuff that needed more time, but then a 20 min. hail storm with marble sized hail tore the doo-doo out of everything and put holes in the squash, eggplant, cukes, and broke the tomato plants. Now we are struggling to salvage the new stuff and getting a few here and there. NOT what we had hoped for. : ( Next year we are adding a fence to keep out the deer, and hope that there's no freak hail storm in July.

Frankiefry, we put up a temporary fence (just 4 feet tall) in the summer as soon as everything starts to come up, then tear it down again in the fall. This year we are struggling with the animals and have a couple live traps out there. Raccoons and skunks lately. The deer have left us alone since the fence went up and it worked for us last year too.
Jill

I really miss our garden. We haven't been able to have one the last couple of years. I think next year I will resort to putting a few things in pots if we still cannot get a garden out. Some herbage at the very least.

Gemmy

I planted some tomatoes, first attempt in Florida. Really hate having to spend a lot of time, and getting disappointed. Was given some seeds last winter, so I started them in pots, actually sprouted, and looked like they would survive. Should have separated them better, but didn't know they all were going to sprout. Put them in the ground, watered them everyday it didn't rain. Only one plant is baring fruit, about golf ball size, at best. The ones that have actually made it to red, had been split open. Got four news set, hope with the cooler weather, they might do a little better. The other three, more like clusters of five or six plants, flower, but no fruit. Started out thinking I'd have a surplus, of large tomatoes, but haven't eaten one.

For those with deer "eating my stuff" issues...here's a solution:

sprinkle some ground bonemeal on the border of your garden/food plot and it'll keep the deer away. It works.

We couldnt grow a garden here this year. The heat was too horrid.

Up at inlaws house, we helped plant some tomatoes and they came up just fine. At the farm there are wild rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. They all came up, although a bit late.

I think the heat did alot of gardens in this year.

For those with deer "eating my stuff" issues...here's a solution:

sprinkle some ground bonemeal on the border of your garden/food plot and it'll keep the deer away. It works.
I'll have to give that a try. The deer destroyed my tomatoes this year, ate all the tops right down to about nothing. On the plus side my pepper plants have been awesome this year. Time to make some poppers :)

Back
Top Bottom