Heartstopper in the Garden

Shaz Rockwell

I was working in the area of the yard of my old house that I had decided to convert into a vegetable garden when I flipped this coin up. I thought for sure I had a Ben Franklin for my first silver! I had to laugh after I snatched it up and the sad, ultralight feel of plastic punched me in the face :laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_20130601_191405.jpg
    IMG_20130601_191405.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 504
I've been owned by junction box punch outs before. Sucks. Keep on swingin

Aww, that sucks. Keep aty it though and you'll find your 1st silver sooner than you think.

Do not let this affect you or taint your way of thinking.
This was not metal, but when you do find some strange object just be careful.
I was jaded a little for awhile after I started.
I knew what was good and what was trash....I thought.

I found a round iron ball one day and almost tossed it out but didn't.
A couple weeks later I threw a picture up here asking for opinions and several members came right back and told me I had dug up a grapeshot cannonball from the civil war.

Close call, but this is better.
I was in a park and dug up a zinc signal target about 4" deep.
Large as a half dollar, totally encrusted with such a thick, hard cement-like coating of dirt I thought it was rust and dirt combined and no amount of rubbing could get any of it off.
Since old houses used to be in this area and I had found other old metal junk from old homes in this area before, I figured it was an old knock out plug and almost threw it away at the end of my hunt...but again for some reason I didn't.
Later on I attacked it with some water and a green scrubby and I thought I could see some writing starting to come through.
I tumbled it for awhile and then realized this was no piece of junk.
After about 2 years of keeping it in olive oil and taking it out periodically to scrape it with a toothpick I got it to this condition.
A very rare Alabama token with a 1922 date.
I am the only one ever to post a picture of this on the web, and the only token book that ever mentioned this one stated that there were only 5 or less in the world known to exist.
Nowadays I check out every find six ways from Sunday before I throw anything away.
Take a lesson from me, when it comes to any mysterious metal targets you do the same.

Attachments

• token both sides.jpg
    token both sides.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 417
Sorry it didn't turn out to be your first silver. But it will come! Still, like you said, that pounding of the heart sure is fun!

Back
Top Bottom