Am I doing it wrong?

Well, in your defense, you found more Gold than Todd Hoffman did that one year!...You didnt need to fly to the jungles of Brazil either!..so yeah in comparison,..Massive Great haul!:laughing:

Both very true statements. :laughing: I really onlyneed one really great find to hold me over for a bit anyway:laughing: I'm heading out with the craziesthis afternoon to bark at the sea, hope this drought is over.

No you are not doing it wrong, both Florida coast's have been sanded in or renourished most of this year.

Think of metal detecting as meditation time and once in a while a dam target comes along and breaks the reverie.

Welcome to the real world of beach hunting.

Reading the beach, following the winds and tides, seeing where people concentrate their leisure activities can and will put the odds in your favour.

Doug, your 'temporary' hunting buddy..........:yes:

Welcome to the real world of beach hunting.

Reading the beach, following the winds and tides, seeing where people concentrate their leisure activities can and will put the odds in your favour.

Doug, your 'temporary' hunting buddy..........:yes:

Doug,
Your so right. Its a pleasure having you around as well.

Well, in your defense, you found more Gold than Todd Hoffman did that one year!...You didnt need to fly to the jungles of Brazil either!..so yeah in comparison,..Massive Great haul!:laughing:

That comment got me laughing pretty hard. Thank you

I'm in need of a ego boost or some firm advise. I've been hunting since April on the gulf coast but have only found two gold and a couple silver. I'm only a weekend and after work guy because work gets in the way of everything:laughing: but I would think that with as many hours as I have put in I would have gotten a bit better at finding hot spots. I do somewhat blame my poor start on the garrett sea hunter that I was using, my particular machine was not so sensitive to gold and in fact never found any, my only gold was with my new excall II and the atpro. We have been very sanded in from the last storm and red tide destroyed a lot of fun. Are the retirees beating me to it because I'm at work? I go after work sometimes also or maybe its just conditions and a bad spell? Maybe I just stink at detecting? Hopefully this storm does the opposite of what the last did.

learn more on how to read beaches. Maybe you do know how since you used the words sanded in. be fore effective in your time. when you only finding light weight items like fishing lures and pennies it is time to change locations on that beach or another beach where you are finding lead weights. only hunt in front of expensive hotels and condos. public beaches the drops tend to be modern rings tungston, stainless steel and fake. create a route of good beach locations and move from one to another when one is sanded in. or move up to the towel line. one beach can be sanded in when another one a mile away can be eroding. good luck, and keep the coil low and even. Maybe even get an Equinox 800 and use its two beach modes. and don't worry about the tourists on vacation. many of them don't have beach machines and don't have a clue how to hunt a beach. You living near the beach have the advantage over the visiting hunters. The beach hunters that I know personally who do very well have a route of good beaches they hit over and over when they are producing.

Yep, you have great machines so unless your technique sucks, they are probably beating you. So are the snow birds, so are the locals, so are the newbies... :laughing: :no: :mad: :shock:

Competition is fierce in FL. I hunt the east coast from the FL/GA line down to Vero. Seems every lil' beachfront/roadside park has at least 2 guys in it detecting. I've taken a few Sun evenings and Mondays to hunt places and have been really surprised to see just how much competition we have.

Every Sun that I've head out, folks are are on the beach with flashlights before day break. When I hunt in the evenings, I may leave at midnight and see guys unpacking their flashlights and detectors in the parking lot to start hunting. Monday mornings...same routine, but I see a lot of folks scuba diving with detectors.

I'm seeing more and more folks gridding out areas, like with actual wooden stakes to "mark their territory". Also seeing a lot of couples where one has a VLF and the other is close behind with a PI.

This year I've made more money flipping used machines than I have detecting. :D

Man wooden stakes to mark territory that is funny....

Just another thing to add to this since I hunt FL a few times a year on vacation...i've been getting "penny seeded" way more often lately. One time I even watched a guy do it...thought about approaching him but then thought better of it.

OP, if you have a machine like the CTX that you can usually tell when it's a penny...maybe skip the pennies and use your time on better sounds...could help.

Back
Top Bottom