1st Buffalo - Scored Sideways

Numil

Elite Member
OK so I broke down and bought a NOX 800. Well 1/2 of one anyway as my family as a present paid for the other half. So, I've had the last 5 days off and been out for some short hunts with it just trying to get a feel of the machine.

Yesterday I get this high pitched wobbly tone in wet sand and out pops a watch. Nothing unusual about that but on closer inspection the face of the watch has embedded in it a buffalo nickle. Its been on my bucket list but thought my odds of digging one in Hawaii were not very good. Thought I'd have to visit family on the mainland to have a shot at digging one. Every park and school yard here in Hawaii has been pounded for decades not to mention the rules against digging in those places.

As to the rest of it, in the last 5 days I've scored 1 small silver, 1 small 14k gold signet and something I'm not sure of. Its a ring, bi-metal, heavy and I thought it was gold/platinum (found a couple of those in the past) but it has no markings on the band at all. Gonna have to test this ring to find out its pedigree. Could it be unmarked tungsten?

What I've learned about the NOX 800,dig everything. Why you ask? because from experience gold will sound off on the TDI some where between 1 and 18. Not much help ID'ing a find in the sand. Case in point the small signet band I dug came in at 11-12 on the NOX while my tri-color gold band comes in at a solid 17 but my wife's 18K wedding band trips the meter at a solid 4. So it looks like I'll be digging a lot of trash along with everything else.

Attachments

• Rings.jpg
    Rings.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 572
  • Watch.jpg
    Watch.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 515
:dingding: Killer finds but ESPECIALLY that watch!

Congrats on the treasure and new machine. That watch is awesome, does it work?

Nah the watch is trashed. Prob spent too much time in the wet sand. Its not an expensive model, brand new it sells for about $40

:dingding: Killer finds but ESPECIALLY that watch!

Thanks Felix

That is a great watch! Wicked good hunt.

BCD

THanks Buford! GL and HH

Congrats on the finds, but especially on the Buffalo Nickel watch. :woot: Very cool. :good:

Yea an odd way to cross off an item from the bucket list. Thanks for looking

Cool finds! The watch is killer.

Thanks!

Yep, the watch is very cool!

Thanks!

Very cool watch!!

Thanks!

That's one of those amazing cool unique one of a kind finds! :cool:
what year is it, maybe it's 3 legged buffalo :shock:
Looks to be in excellent shape, being behind glass.....

That's one of those amazing cool unique one of a kind finds! :cool:
what year is it, maybe it's 3 legged buffalo :shock:
Looks to be in excellent shape, being behind glass.....

The year is 1934 and the coin looks worn and plated as well as a hole in the center for the stem to the hands. Oh well I was just happy to find it

Looks like a good hunt to me;)
FYI, my best/oldest "in the water" coin finds have been 2 victory nickels. Both came out of Blackpoint in front of Doris Dukes residence (1892 and the other is just to far gone).
Word is the Military bases have good dirt digging grounds for silver still but you need to know somebody.

Back
Top Bottom