• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Anyone in Chicago want to detect beaches EARLY July 5th?

DoctorFindsgold

I was hoping to go to Montrose Beach or wherever else would be a good place for people to watch the Chicago July 4th fire works and comb the beaches in the wee hours before it gets cleaned up. Anyone else interested? Anyone done this before...worth it? I never have much luck on the Chicago beaches.

Where you gonna park? Got quarters....?

Ha...No car. forced to take the bus. Thats one of the things that makes going at 4am extra rough. have to take one express bus that goes well beyond the beach, and then back track on another bus that goes back in that direction. Always feel like a model walking down a catwalk with the stares we get with all our equipment walking find seats on the bus. Are you in Chicago Dirty Rob?

I'd love to but, being a corn-fed small town rural Illini, I avoid the big cities whenever possible. I’m 100 miles west of you if you ever want to hunt out this way. Welcome to the forum.

Ha...No car. forced to take the bus. Thats one of the things that makes going at 4am extra rough. have to take one express bus that goes well beyond the beach, and then back track on another bus that goes back in that direction. Always feel like a model walking down a catwalk with the stares we get with all our equipment walking find seats on the bus. Are you in Chicago Dirty Rob?

I'm just over the state line in Indiana. The closest chicago beach to me is Calumet Park on the "REAL" southside!:yes:

Please enlighten us on your finds and your tools of the trade.

Well...did we get out........?

:D

Ha...sure did! About 5 bucks in clad...I'm having a hard time finding as much stuff as I would hope would be on a super packed city beach, but what can you do. I sure did go bright and early and tried my little heart out. However, I did meet my first detecting buddy. His name was Jimmy and he was a nice older fella. Think he said 71. Anyways he got to swap stories and he even showed me some his finds from the past few days which were in his pocket. A cute 14k gold 'I love you' ring and a pretty basa$$ silver crucifix pendant. He even said I can come by and have one of his extra sand scoops...which I totally could use. I was admiring his...always wanted one but am too cheap.

Anyways, it was a good lesson for me to not be so intimidated by fellow detectorists on the beach and who knows...the new friendship might turn out to be more valuable than any ring i could have found. Sappy yes...but true. I know it's at least more valuable than the 5 bucks in change i picked up.

It was a looong day for me. I went to Oak Street Beach because I figured it would be smaller and more manageable, plus I saw it was FULL of people that day and its just easier to get to via cta train. I had the day off work so I was on the beach by 4:30 am, until about 11am...then I went over to North Ave beach for another hour and after going home for a bit, went to a closer beach-Thorndale Beach for an hour. Still nothing but a few coins here and there. And yeah, it was HOT

kinda burnt myself out for the day. put in a full days work with nothin too great to show. I'll keep at it though. At least I got a decent amount of exercise? ha.

Back
Top Bottom