Whats a good beginner detector for coins?

flurrrs

I want to start looking for coins and was wondering what is the best detector to start with that is not too advanced for a person new to metal detectors. I live in Alabama so I would like one that is good for red clay.

Any suggestions?

bounty hunter

i have a bh got it for $129 at cabelas or bass pr cant remember

works fine though (you cant see what the item is before you dig but thats part of the fun....i guess)

If you have highly mineralized soil then you definitely want one that has a manual ground balance. If you want an ID machine, I would also recommend one that has a numerical target ID. I also would want one with multiple tones. Out of the new stuff, I prefer Minelab products but that's just personal preference. If you have a dealer locally, go and try out some different products and get something that you feel comfortable with and that you think you will like learning. You don't have to get a real complicated machine to get some really nice features. Good luck with whatever you choose and just be patient and you will find lots of good stuff.

Welcome from Kansas. Midway U.S.A.
Start with what you can afford. About any detector that sells for a hundred dollars or more will get you started. After you see if you like detecting, and you will, you can always move up to a better detector.

can u clue me in on some of these terms?

If you have highly mineralized soil then you definitely want one that has a manual ground balance. If you want an ID machine, I would also recommend one that has a numerical target ID. I also would want one with multiple tones. Out of the new stuff, I prefer Minelab products but that's just personal preference. If you have a dealer locally, go and try out some different products and get something that you feel comfortable with and that you think you will like learning. You don't have to get a real complicated machine to get some really nice features. Good luck with whatever you choose and just be patient and you will find lots of good stuff.

Get something good that beginners can use and you won't need to upgrade. Something that will last a long time and produce.
E-Trac.
My first detector was and is an E-Trac.

My first rig was a Whites PRIZM IV.
It's not a top dollar model and it's not that cheepo model.
Easy to use and to under stand.
Alot of people rave about the Ace 250.
I can't say anything either about that machine ,I've never even touched one before so...
Good luck & HH :D

Welcome aboard flurrrs, the 250 is a great entry level machine, and good resale potential if you upgrade. Not good on saltwater sand though...RickO

The Ace 250 is a great beginners detector, I have it and has paid for itself already. I still use it.

Get something good that beginners can use and you won't need to upgrade. Something that will last a long time and produce.
E-Trac.
My first detector was and is an E-Trac.
I agree ,if you can spend $1500 get an E trac ,if you can not get Ace and upgrade later with the money you find HH

I'm starting off with the BH 505, seems like a good all around pc of equipment @ a good price from KellyCo.

Thats a good choice.the fisher f2 has a fast recovery & target seperation is great for $200.00 might be better.

I started with a Fisher F2 and really like the way it performs. I have recovered coins as far as 7-8 inches with it, so it's not bad for about $200. Although I will say it eats batteries.

More to come...

Hey all,

I do not have any stats as of yet because it is so new to the market but wanted to let you all know first that we have a new machine that was just put online yesterday at Kellyco. It is in the same price range as the machines that have been mentioned in previous posts.

Once I get more I will be sure to post it.

The Teknetics Alpha 2000

Take a look at it...

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/Teknetics/teknetics_alpha_buy.htm

Back
Top Bottom