Mass Volunteer Militia Button

Danny T

Elite Member
Got out for the first time this season at an old Farm in Sterling that dates back to the colonial period. Family had 10 sons that fought in the Revolutionary War. Still open pastures for stabled horses, I had access to about 15 acres. What a blessing. I was able to get my head quiet in a serene, natural place and do what I love, find old relics. I am beginning my 4th season detecting, 2nd year with the ATPro and I am just beginning to use Pro Mode on regular basis. I got the small coil for Christmas and used it for the first time today. As always, everyone's posts are friendly and helpful and for that I am grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_9561.jpg
    IMG_9561.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 423
Excellent find Danny good to see your getting out! Good luck this season and happy hunting!
Ps what are the backmarks ? Maybe we can help get a date range? I dug one of those in a park in Gardner a few seasons back. Mine looks newer than yours , yours looks like an actual flat button?

Excellent find Danny good to see your getting out! Good luck this season and happy hunting!
Ps what are the backmarks ? Maybe we can help get a date range? I dug one of those in a park in Gardner a few seasons back. Mine looks newer than yours , yours looks like an actual flat button?

Thanks for remarks. Good to hear from you. Sorry, the back pic I have won't load. It's from the Attleboro MA company. the back says R & W Robinson. Extra Rich. It is a flat style. Some of these were convex apparently.

Wow fantastic find, Congrats!
I found a N.H button last year and it's one of my favorite finds.
That one's a beauty you got there!

Thanks for responding to my post. Could you post a pic easily of the NH one?
I ended up giving it and the other stuff to the land owner. He is so into the history of the property, I encouraged him to make a little display.

Thanks for responding to my post. Could you post a pic easily of the NH one?
I ended up giving it and the other stuff to the land owner. He is so into the history of the property, I encouraged him to make a little display.

That is good of you, he must have been thrilled with that one.
Here's a couple pics of the N.H button.

IMG_0467_zpsixcix0xd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0473_zpsefenahix.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow, that is in great condition. The shank is still intact. Beautiful ornamentation on the buttons for the NH boys too. Thanks for posting that, every little bit of info gets filed away in this old brain and makes me a better or more knowledgeable detectorist -a little bit at a time. Much obliged!

I found that same mass militia button in fantastic shape when I went to Williamsburg, MA a few years ago with Justin(ruthlesspawn) to buy a coin collection and detect the old property.

I found that same mass militia button in fantastic shape when I went to Williamsburg, MA a few years ago with Justin(ruthlesspawn) to buy a coin collection and detect the old property.

That's awesome to hear. If its easily available would you mind posting a pic of your find? Thanks for the response. Good luck on every hunt!

That's awesome to hear. If its easily available would you mind posting a pic of your find? Thanks for the response. Good luck on every hunt!
I need to figure out where I put all my buttons. We moved a few months ago and most of my finds are still packed. I have to pull them out this weekend though so I will do my best

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's awesome! I've found a few civil war buttons, but nothing directly related to Mass, would love to find one! Maybe someday. If I can ever get out!

Back
Top Bottom