It's not a rock!

BottleCapKing

Elite Member
I found this at the site where cellrdwellr dug the Barber half and Quarter. While, psyched for him, I wasn't feeling particularly good about my hunt, or 99% of the hunts I did this year. CD finds the goods, I get the rocks.

This site, while glorious for old silver, is dangerous in its own right due to innumerable eye level twigs. Darkness and twigs is not a good combination. So, I went back to my car and got my headlamp and swapped out coils. The mineral strength of this place is so unbelievable weak, I decided a concentric coil would be better than the 6x10DD I was using. So, on went the 950.

I got this signal that was in the mid-60's at around 6.5 inches. Figured it was an IH or a wheatie. I was stunned with what I found. Out into the night air popped a very thin disk that was clearly not bronze. Saw the figure on the front and I was like Yeah! It was definitely a seated dime. CD was coming over to show me the really cool sterling bracelet he found. Felt like I was stealing his thunder, but, this was my first silver for the year! I had to have him read the date, because, well, aging eyes don't see dates so well, and he is like 20 years younger than I am. Much better eye sight. He flipped it over and announced that he was pretty sure it was a CC mint mark. I was even more psyched at this point. I have never found anything with a CC mint mark. This is my oldest silver to this point (my previous oldest was the only other seated dime I have found - 1877S)

This awesome find gave necessary motivation to not take an extended vacation from detecting. Morale was pretty low, and I even told CD that if I didn't find something good this weekend, I was walking away for a while.

The dime is really worn, but, I am happy that the date and the mint are still clear.

Attachments

• seateddime1876cc-obv.jpg
    seateddime1876cc-obv.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 614
  • seateddime1876cc-rev.jpg
    seateddime1876cc-rev.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 589
Nice seated man, and a Carson city! I've only found one seated dime out there and it was almost 20 years newer than that one! i thought this place was mostly 1890-1920's but being along the river, it could turn stuff up like this. Nice job again and happy hunting!

Very good!!! Glad you found some motivation to stick with the hobby
Never surrender!!........and yes those Carson City Nevada stamped coins are always
Heart pumping finds! Nice....
HH

:urock: I know, bad pun, hahaha! Great job and nice read of the soil with the coil change. Now I gotta find something, somewhere, somehow. ;)

That is the kind of thing that brings about a second and third wind...and a renewed interest in finding rocks!:lol: Best damn rock I've ever seen King!
You guys have some kind of special site to hunt, most guys would not know what to do with themselves with the knowledge of what has been found and what MIGHT be found there. I hope you both have many more special pieces to show out of there!

Nice to get the spirit back up.

Indeed!

Nice seated man, and a Carson city! I've only found one seated dime out there and it was almost 20 years newer than that one! i thought this place was mostly 1890-1920's but being along the river, it could turn stuff up like this. Nice job again and happy hunting!

I am sure there are many more seated there. We will find that Seated half and Dollar for sure.

Very good!!! Glad you found some motivation to stick with the hobby Never surrender!!........and yes those Carson City Nevada stamped coins are always Heart pumping finds! Nice....
HH

I wasn't going to quit. Was just going to take enough time off to get an attitude readjustment. It is frustrating when your partner in crime is pulling all kinds of good stuff and you are not. But, metal detecting is much like real estate. It is all about location, location, location.
:urock: I know, bad pun, hahaha! Great job and nice read of the soil with the coil change. Now I gotta find something, somewhere, somehow. ;)

I love soil like that. I was getting ~0.9% signal loss due to mineralization. Lots of depth to be had. 99.9 percent of puns are bad.

Nice going!! Keep us posted on the excitement.

Thanks, and will do!

A find like that ignites the spark again. Good job young fellar. joe

It sure does. I just wish Cellrdwellr would quit pulling a 2 cent piece out of every plot of land we hit.

That is the kind of thing that brings about a second and third wind...and a renewed interest in finding rocks!:lol: Best damn rock I've ever seen King!
You guys have some kind of special site to hunt, most guys would not know what to do with themselves with the knowledge of what has been found and what MIGHT be found there. I hope you both have many more special pieces to show out of there!

Cellrdwellr found a tremendous site in this place. 100% sure it was never detected before he found it.

Congrats on the cc dime!

Thanks!

Congrats on your newest oldest silver and your first CC Seated Dime...excellent dig!

Thanks, it is always satisfying to hit multiple benchmarks in a single find.

Love here about the Mass finds. Congrats! Love the CC mint mark.

Me too! On both counts. Never thought I would find one. Need to find an New Orleans now.

Congrats on the silver! Keep digging! :D

Thanks! I will dig until my poor beleaguered elbow can take no more.

Awesome find and a CC mint mark is very cool. Congrats!

Here's to hoping there are more CCs out there. Being where we are, mint marks aren't all that common. There is that whole proximity to Philly thing.

Nice find!!!

Thanks, I am rather pleased with it.

Killer CC coin! Looks like you guys are on a great spot!

For sure. This spot has the most potential of any site we have been to. 100% sure it has never had a coil swept across it before.

Congrats on a sweet find BCK! Glad you found her when you did, great inspiration to keep digging.

Yeah, I told Cellrdwellr I was going to hunt last weekend until I found some silver. Finding it when I did meant I didn't risk watching the Bruins lose yet another game in OT (and the series to boot).

Back
Top Bottom